Read 3476 times

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
The sloppy NET
« on: December 30, 2019, 01:02:52 pm »
Today's my last day and I thought I'd start this thread to pass the time.

Not sure if it's just me, but damn! Some of these new NETs are a disheveled and shabby sight. Last Thursday was a kind of end of year workshop, attended by a bunch of NETs, CTs and education office officials.
This is not the place to:

Females
- wear ripped jeans with your fat rolls bulging out.
- not brush your hair so you look like the unholy offspring of 80s Tina Turner and Don King
- wear what looks like your frat-boy brother's unwashed college hoodie... from the 90s.
- carry what sounds like every metal tray from the cafeteria in a plastic shopping bag (one person brought this)

Guys
- Illustrate your 'cred' by not wearing a belt and displaying your undies to the supervisor when you bend out of your seat
- wear jeans baggier than hammer pants and dragging across the floor
- wear tired-ass sneakers, which are filthy literally lopsided from years of strain under your weighty, overpronated walk. 
- smell like the outside
- having what can only be described as pubes growing out of your neck. Keep it groomed!
- still use your backpack from HS
- wear the hoodie described above.

Both
- Loudly ask people for a pen because it always sends a great message to your superiors that a teacher doesn't carry one.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
Re: The sloppy NET
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 01:07:10 pm »
- carry what sounds like every metal tray from the cafeteria in a plastic shopping bag (one person brought this)

Can you elaborate on this? haha

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 01:18:17 pm »

Can you elaborate on this? haha

Cooking day at camp? I dunno, maybe I'm being too hard on the poor lady... Then again, that's exactly what she looked liked, in front of everyone, a damn hobo.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 01:34:46 pm »
yeah, i've noticed a lack of professionalism in regards to clothes too. i've "crossed paths with" and seen guys going to teach the CEO of big companies in cargo shorts and sandals, etc. this has happened a few different times with various companies. i always have to ask my students who it is (not believing they are actually going to work like that), but yeah...it's always another fellow teacher. i mean, cmon...

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 02:38:52 pm »
I've also been surprised by what I have seen in the public schools, both Korean and NET, in shorts and hoodies.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 02:44:08 pm »
I've also been surprised by what I have seen in the public schools, both Korean and NET, in shorts and hoodies.

What exactly is wrong with shorts and hoodies?
In the summer, shorts are great for trying to stay cooler, and hoodies are warm for the colder months.

However, I only wear shorts when doing sports. but I always wear a hoodie during the colder months.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 02:44:26 pm »
Well, far be it for me to gainsay such observations of the various states of sartorial disarray among many of the current crop of NETs...

However, while I have sometimes noticed a similar lackadaisical attitude toward personal grooming and attire these days, there really is no comparison to the assortment of tattered, grungy, and truly unkempt apparel (and egregious lack of any attempt(s) at personal grooming...) among the sub-human specimens and fly-by-night scammer 'teachers' who showed up here in the late 90s-early 2000s...!

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 02:58:48 pm »

sartorial disarray

How long did you wait to use that in a sentence?  :rolleyes:

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 03:42:44 pm »
He's going to hate me for posting this but I did snap a quick picture of Aristocrat arriving at the NET workshop last week.  He told me not to take a picture because all his nice clothes were in the wash.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 05:06:06 pm »
He's going to hate me for posting this but I did snap a quick picture of Aristocrat arriving at the NET workshop last week.  He told me not to take a picture because all his nice clothes were in the wash.

I was more concerned with you straight up stalking me; sneaking pictures and trying to sniff the chair I was sitting on. Whichever team you bat for is your business, but you're barking up the wrong tree, mate.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 05:18:07 pm »

What exactly is wrong with shorts and hoodies?
In the summer, shorts are great for trying to stay cooler, and hoodies are warm for the colder months.

However, I only wear shorts when doing sports. but I always wear a hoodie during the colder months.

What's wrong with a hoodie? Nothing, I'm at home and wearing one as I type this and wait for my pre-workout to kick in.

For work? It just looks lazy, especially when there are so many other stylish choices for the colder months. It might also send the message that you haven't grown up from your HS and college days. Your students elementary school students are wearing hoodies to school, that should be enough of a reason.

Just my opinion.

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 06:08:27 pm »
Dude, you are one vain, vacuous, shallow human. Normal people don't much care what other people look like, or what they wear.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 07:06:14 pm »
Dude, you are one vain, vacuous, shallow human. Normal people don't much care what other people look like, or what they wear.

Is that so? So you'd have absolutely zero concerns if someone attended one of your close relatives', or friends', funeral wearing shorts and a tank top? Or how about dating someone who weighs 200kg and has boils on every cm of their body? It's all personality, right?
At a conscious and unconscious level, humans judge others by their appearance. It's part of human evolution and an important survival instinct; the fact that the human race hasn't gone extinct is proof that you're wrong.

Having zero concern about looking after the only body they'll ever have or how they choose to present themselves to the world... those are the shallow ones. They're right up there with people who judge on appearance, and nothing else.

Nobodies asking everyone to look uber-stylish, just look appropriate and respectable.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 07:09:19 pm »
found the american

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 07:16:27 pm »
Some people embrace the freedom from feeling bound to trivial expectations that comes with living temporarily in another country. It is like they are on extended vacation. Why care what people think about such superficial things when one will be outta here in a dozen months or two.

I, on the other hand, had heard how judgemental Koreans can be about looks, so I arrived here in a suit and tie (changed into it at Gimpo airport prior to being picked up by the director). I wore a dress shirt with tie for 12 years here (brought my collection of 50ish ties from my previous career (journalist) and bought 15 tailored shirts in Thailand and five suits in Itaewon (six, but the first tailor sucked). I also took a month off between contracts to go to New Zealand to get a CELTA. So, i took the professionalism seriously. It has benefitted me: every hagwon wanted to re-sign me and i have been choosy at finding the next hagwon, going to the site for face-to-face interview, seeing the apartment, gathering info as well as making an impression.

But most foreigners who are English language teachers in South Korea do not consider it a profession but simply a short-term job as part of an overseas journey, to wit, the extended holiday. Expectations are things they worry about when they are back in their home towns. Until then... "Why should I care?" is the attitude and threads like this look misplaced.

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2019, 07:20:03 pm »
When I was in Korea I was always amazed when I'd leave and go back to the US or go through an airport in say Japan and there were a bunch of Westerners. Everyone would look soooo slobby...many women in ratty workout clothes no matter their weight, and men and women wearing super baggy clothes. When you live in Korea you start dressing kind of preppy...partly to fit in with Koreans but also because all the clothes at places like H&M and Uniqlo are mostly not baggy hobo clothes (except for the winter clothes at H&M).

Anyway in the US the slobby and preppy looks go in and out of fashion, kind of like how goofy Korean fashions seem to appear and disappear every 6 months...in my 5 years in Korea ripped jeans became big for like 3 months. Baggy clothes and dumb hip hop fashions would go in and out of fashion among Koreans too.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2019, 10:46:32 pm »
found the american

..ouch.

Well, in my case..if I have to wear the shirt/tie, I'll do it.  But, that has not been a requirement since my first school.  During my public school days, it was a nice pair of khakis and a decent shirt/sweater.  In the hogwan system, it is whatever I can get away with, whilst, still looking presentable.  In that case, if the Korean teachers are wearing shorts in the summer, I'm wearing shorts.  If the Koreans are wearing a hoodie, I'll wear a hoodie. 

My students can still tell me WHY and WHEN to use the Present Simple tense, despite the hoodie. 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 12:28:46 am »
NorthStar,

When have you ever seen a Korean teacher wear a hoodie?

I mean, really.

Signed,
Didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

P.s.
In my life i have never seen any kind of teacher wear a hoodie. Maybe your neck of the woods is different, or maybe just your neck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 12:33:09 am by VanIslander »

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 12:53:55 am »
NorthStar,

When have you ever seen a Korean teacher wear a hoodie?

I mean, really.

Signed,
Didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

P.s.
In my life i have never seen any kind of teacher wear a hoodie. Maybe your neck of the woods is different, or maybe just your neck.

I have seen a Korean teacherS wear hoodies on several occasions-in hagwons. 

I mean...REALLY.

Signed,
What is it, to you?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 01:33:35 am »
It ain't nothing to me North Star.

I just have NEVER seen such. But I have only lived in this country since 2002. Is it a Seoul Korean teacher thing,.. hoodies?

My first thought is you are pulling that idea out of your arse (the Canadian in me) but maybe you are in a unique situation (then sorry, man, says the Canadian in me).

I have never seen a Korean teacher wear jeans, a hoodie or a baseball cap.

That is ALL i am saying in this regard. It is nothing to me. What about to you?