Read 2778 times

• Butterfly13
  • Newgookin

• March 02, 2019, 02:11:49 pm
    • South Korea, Kyoungnam
Altiora kindergarten review?
« on: December 19, 2019, 03:54:09 pm »
Hi!
Has anyone worked for Altiora kindergarten in S.Korea? Any reviews will be apprciated  :smiley:

• seayow
  • Explorer

• June 04, 2014, 09:27:15 am
    • Buldang-dong, Cheonan-si, Chuncheongnam-do
Re: Altiora kindergarten review?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 12:34:46 pm »
Any updates? Are you working for this school now? Anyone recently worked here?
Inquiring about a new location in Busan.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 09:26:53 am »
Currently working for a franchise near Seoul, not giving specific location, due to anonymity.

These school's are well funded and the franchise I am at spares no expense. Unfortunately, for English instructor, this academy strives to create actors, not students. Everything is about songs in these academies and they focus on target sentences, not vocabulary, grammar or phonics. From a developmental standpoint, the amount of baby talk from Korean teachers (who teach English) is concerning. Expect 50 hours plus each week and expectations to do work from home on the weekends. 10 days off a year and you do not get to pick the days off. I will be looking for a different school next year that focuses on educating students, not making actors that memorize lines

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 03:32:46 am »
Hmmm, interesting. Could you post some book examples? Maybe they are one of the first schools to introduce new modern educational concepts in Korea. http://altiora.kr/
여기에서 올바른 방법은 지금까지의 좌뇌 중심 영어 교육과 다른 우뇌 중심 영어 교육임을
분명히 하며 비인지 역량의 중요성을 이야기합니다.
구체적인 수업 방법과 실제 적용할 수 있는 공감 대화법을 담아 실질적인 도움을 제공합니다.
Perhaps you should reconsider changing schools, if the constructions are learnt in a 'meaningful' context (CREED) then such a Piagetian approach is far more effective than explicit grammar teaching. You could provide the context and cooperative corrective environment through fun activities. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233599717_Cognitive_perspectives_on_SLA_The_associative-cognitive_CREED
Personally, I have come to believe that this menu-of-the-day grammar teaching only serves us, the teachers and  has very little effect on the L2 of students.

I teach no grammar at all and I have even removed all vocabulary books. It is very often the case that we teachers create an environment in which children are forced to underperform. That Altiora teaching concept shows a lot of resemblance with my school and not so long ago I have used Les Miserables as a roleplay activity. I am actually doing research into gifted underachievement and I am often reminded of students I have taught in Korea. I think around 5% in each class is gifted or highly gifted so why should we focus on grammar teaching which should only serve as punishment or as  our last resort for the least gifted students?

Of course, if the songs learnt are merely a simple repetition of  random texts then the effect is marginal at best. Similar to teaching the pres. simple this week and  the pres. cont. the next.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 01:29:15 pm by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis