Read 893 times

Att: F-class visa holders :)
« on: December 18, 2019, 02:56:44 pm »
Hi everyone!

As the owner of a freshly minted F-6 visa, I'll be looking to leave behind the horrors of public school at the soonest available opportunity.

I'd like to run a study room (eventually), but until then I reckon I'll give the freelance/privates/hotch-potch schedule thing a go.

I'm based in a medium sized town, unfortunately, and I doubt my wife would want to move to Seoul anytime soon.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing outside of Seoul? Is it even possible? If so, what does your schedule look like, and are you making bank?

I was hoping to get a part-time hagwon gig to supplement my freelance income, but I don't see a single one advertised, at least not in my town :o Do the majority of hagwons prefer full-time (E-2) workers, I wonder? I'd have thought the prospect of not having to hassle with their documents/pay their monthly rent would appeal to the hagwon bosses. Any advice on how to land one of these?

Blessings :angel:

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
Re: Att: F-class visa holders :)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 03:10:34 pm »
I'm in the same boat. I can't pick my visa up for another week or so. And we're moving cities when my current contract is up, so I'm kind of waiting for a more concrete location before I start any serious searching for part time gigs.

As for tutoring, try asking your wife if any of her friends that have kids want a tutor. My husband's boss and his wife have already mentioned me doing tutoring to some of their friends, so hopefully I'll actually get a few students that way.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 03:16:17 pm »
Hagwons will love you for a couple classes a week, but keep your rates on the high end. Ask your wife to help you create a Korean style resume and a short introduction in Korean. It worked for me, twice where the two places I went to hired me.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 03:27:02 pm »
As for tutoring, try asking your wife if any of her friends that have kids want a tutor.
Great idea - I'll certainly look into it.

Hagwons will love you for a couple classes a week, but keep your rates on the high end. Ask your wife to help you create a Korean style resume and a short introduction in Korean. It worked for me, twice where the two places I went to hired me.
Interesting! So you prepared a Korean style resume, approached some hagwons out of the blue to ask if they had anything part-time, and got hired?  This gives me hope!

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 03:40:07 pm »
Hey Congrats on the F Visa!

I got my F2-99 about three years ago and things changed drastically for me financially.

First 6 months I worked at a university 9-1 then bummed away my time for 25-30 bucks an hour at a hagwon chain. It was ok for about 6 months but I got tired of it quickly. During that time I advertised on my towns local facebook page and I had 5-6 calls every month from recruiters wanting me to do business English classes.

I made the switch second year to the morning business English classes 7.30-8.30 for an extra million and did evening classes for another 1-1.5 million plus the university salary of 3 million I was feeling pretty good earning 5 million a month.

It wasn't till I was drinking with a chaebol vp that he gave me the financial breakdown of how much he was paying the recruiters that I realized how screwed I was lol.

His company had paid recruiter x's company 8 million won for classes twice a week with me for six months.  I got paid just 60 bucks an hour making less than 500k a month while the recruiter took the rest.

So 480k x6 months= 2.88 million the recruiter pocketed the rest out of the 8 million won.

That was the determining point for me to make a web-page advertising my services. I update it once a month or so to put myself back on top of Naver and I tell the recruiters to delete my number and no call me any more.

Cut out the middleman and you can earn so much more. I'm lazy honestly if I advertised more, was willing to work a little cheaper, or drive a little further I could probably earn much more but these days I'm quite satisfied with 6-8 million a month.

Someday I'd like to open a gongbubang or god forgive a hagwon where I can exploit my fellow waegs with 2.1 mill a month wages, but my wife owns and runs her own business and she adamantly refuses to try managing a second business as she's already stressed out running her business.

For the time being I'm focused on improving my Korean language abilities, I passed TOPIK level 3 I'd like to score Level 4 in 2020 =p.

T.C.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 03:59:39 pm »
Thanks, TexasChicken, for the impressive deets!

Did you have experience teaching business english prior to plying your trade? Unfortunately I don't have any such experience. And how big is your town? I'm wondering if opportunities will be similarly abundant where I live (or not).

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 04:03:09 pm »
I live in Cheongju and it's home to about 700,000 people. I have an MBA and I work for a local university teaching in the department of Business Administration.

T.C.

But don't sweat the details there is no competition.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 04:24:16 pm »
Thanks, TexasChicken, for the impressive deets!

Did you have experience teaching business english prior to plying your trade? Unfortunately I don't have any such experience. And how big is your town? I'm wondering if opportunities will be similarly abundant where I live (or not).
i would recommend just finding some jobs through recruiters to get some experience first. have a look on worknplay.co.kr for some part time jobs. admittedly, most are in seoul, so if you can't find anything it might be a good idea just to put your name out there like texaschicken did

if you want to teach kids, after school jobs pay fairly well and they have decent hours. there's a couple facebook groups "after school jobs" and "after school jobs you can trust". you'll start seeing adverts for jobs in late jan/feb (they always leave it last minute). as i've said many times on here, they are run terribly and have a bad reputation, but if you can put up with all the shit, it might be an idea

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 05:52:57 pm »
Quote from: oglop
if you want to teach kids, after school jobs pay fairly well and they have decent hours. there's a couple facebook groups "after school jobs" and "after school jobs you can trust". you'll start seeing adverts for jobs in late jan/feb (they always leave it last minute). as i've said many times on here, they are run terribly and have a bad reputation, but if you can put up with all the shit, it might be an idea
Thanks for your thoughts, oglop! I've never heard of 'after school' before. Is that just another name for hagwon? If not, is it a thing outside of Seoul?

• gamja
  • Newgookin

• December 18, 2019, 03:52:42 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 05:58:52 pm »
That was the determining point for me to make a web-page advertising my services. I update it once a month or so to put myself back on top of Naver and I tell the recruiters to delete my number and no call me any more.

Hey T.C.! Nice to see a fellow Texan~
I have 2 years of public school teaching experience  and 1 year of private school experience. I'm a gyopo (F4 visa), but I'm wondering, did you just make your web-page on Naver blog? And how did you advertise it? Thanks!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 06:59:22 pm »
after public school lessons have finished, kids will go to a classroom (in the same school) and have some english lessons by another native teacher (with an F visa). it's all run as a private company, but you go to an actual public school and teach kids there. hours are short (maybe 2 - 5:30 or something) and there's only 12 or so kids per class, but the companies are notorious for being a bit shady. they usually pay around 2.7m-3.1m though

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 07:16:18 pm »
after public school lessons have finished, kids will go to a classroom (in the same school) and have some english lessons by another native teacher (with an F visa). it's all run as a private company, but you go to an actual public school and teach kids there. hours are short (maybe 2 - 5:30 or something) and there's only 12 or so kids per class, but the companies are notorious for being a bit shady. they usually pay around 2.7m-3.1m though
Shorter hours for better pay! Sounds like an upgrade :D

So how does the shadiness of the companies manifest exactly? Late payments, etc? And how do they make money? Does the school pay them?

Thanks for the info!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 07:40:41 pm »
yeah, problems with pay is the big one, of course. had to file a complaint with the MOEL once, and again had problems with my severance pay.

students pay to join the program, so the more students = more money for the company. you'll get the blame if students drop out, which happens a lot, naturally - even if it's not your fault. the students know they can get away with whatever they want, as they know you can't really punish them (they complain to their parents -> parents complain to the manager or drop out -> your fault). plus, the companies are often very stingy with supplies. i wasn't even given board markers or my own book, for example

they aren't all terrible, but be prepared for that kind of thing

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 07:54:55 pm »
The big scam is the double bank book which has the company deposit the entire amount of tuition in an account under your name where they withdraw all but your salary and leave you with the tax responsibility on the entire programs tuition fees not just your salary.

T.C.

Make sure you report your earnings correctly or it will come back to bite your arse. I stopped afterschool a couple years ago after they tried to get me to get into their tax evasion scam.

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 08:21:22 pm »
Alrighty then. What's the best way to hunt down an afterschool gig in a small-ish city? I don't have much faith my city will be represented on the facebook groups you noted above :/

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 09:50:23 pm »
Go to naver.com and search 방과후 + your cityís name. Somethings bound to come up!

Like 방과후 청주. Or if youíre really ambitious go to all the elementary schools in your area and start your own afterschool program and pocket all the money for yourself.

T.C.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 07:41:21 am »
Alrighty then. What's the best way to hunt down an afterschool gig in a small-ish city? I don't have much faith my city will be represented on the facebook groups you noted above :/
you might be surprised. almost every school seems to have an after school program these days. you could always check craigslist or worknplay.co.kr too. you could just email off your CV for every different recruiter you see advertising those jobs, and you might get lucky. that'll put you on their radar anyway. i'm not sure searching in korean would work, as texaschicken suggested, as that'll probably just be for korean teacher jobs, but it wouldn't hurt to try anyway

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 07:41:55 am »
Hey Congrats on the F Visa!

I got my F2-99 about three years ago and things changed drastically for me financially.

First 6 months I worked at a university 9-1 then bummed away my time for 25-30 bucks an hour at a hagwon chain. It was ok for about 6 months but I got tired of it quickly. During that time I advertised on my towns local facebook page and I had 5-6 calls every month from recruiters wanting me to do business English classes.

I made the switch second year to the morning business English classes 7.30-8.30 for an extra million and did evening classes for another 1-1.5 million plus the university salary of 3 million I was feeling pretty good earning 5 million a month.

It wasn't till I was drinking with a chaebol vp that he gave me the financial breakdown of how much he was paying the recruiters that I realized how screwed I was lol.

His company had paid recruiter x's company 8 million won for classes twice a week with me for six months.  I got paid just 60 bucks an hour making less than 500k a month while the recruiter took the rest.

So 480k x6 months= 2.88 million the recruiter pocketed the rest out of the 8 million won.

Cut out the middleman and you can earn so much more. I'm lazy honestly if I advertised more, was willing to work a little cheaper, or drive a little further I could probably earn much more but these days I'm quite satisfied with 6-8 million a month.

Someday I'd like to open a gongbubang or god forgive a hagwon where I can exploit my fellow waegs with 2.1 mill a month wages, but my wife owns and runs her own business and she adamantly refuses to try managing a second business as she's already stressed out running her business.

For the time being I'm focused on improving my Korean language abilities, I passed TOPIK level 3 I'd like to score Level 4 in 2020 =p.

T.C.

That's impressive. I've had my F-2-99 for three years too, and I'm still just working at my old job. I don't know anyone else who has an F visa that still works, so I really have no idea how to start making more money.

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 12:28:20 am »
T.C.
How do you decide on the rate you charge? If the recruiters were charging 8mil/6mths...what other services did they offer to these companies? Surely you don't collect 8mil for the same number of classes...or do you?

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2019, 10:33:59 am »
The recruiter provides no other service other than finding teachers for the company, and using his franchise name to pull in those customers. No curriculum or training nothing.

I don't charge as much as he does , but i renegotiated with the student to contract directly with me 8 million for twelve months of classes. Everyone wins i make a little more and he gets more.

I usually charge 60 for little kids. 80 for adults, and if they feel like its too expensive I tell them where I live and if they're willing to come to me and are flexible with the schedule ill work from home for 50. If they say its too expensive I just say thank you and good luck.

I have no troubles filling my schedule. These days I cut all the students with bad attitudes, or no progress. Iím mostly teaching adults now it pays better and its much less stressful.

Make a website or blog and promote it on naver or daum it will generate some business easily. I originally hired an advertising company to generate keyword hits for me on naver which kept me number one in naver for a few search terms but i quickly realized there were almost no competing pages here in this area.

T.C.