Read 1529 times

Should I have to pay?? PLEASE HELP
« on: December 17, 2019, 12:58:56 pm »
I came to Seoul a few weeks ago and got hired by a hagwon relatively easy. I told my boss ahead of time that I had no paperwork with me and by that I mean an apostilled degree and FBI background check. She told me it was fine and we can sort it out later. Fast forward a few weeks, I'm going through job training and the paperwork comes in. The expense is roughly 750,000. I was okay with this expense since I had no other choice, but now due to some personal matters I have to return home. My boss is asking that I pay the 750,000 still. Am I obligated to pay? Would it be morally messed up if I didn't? I've already paid half, but now I'm starting to think both parties take a risk when working together. I don't see why I should have to take on all of the burden. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
Re: Should I have to pay?? PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 08:07:34 am »
I could be wrong but that sounds like a lot for just those two things. When I did mine (from the US) it wasn't anywhere near that much money. Are there other expenses added into that amount that the hagwon covered for you? I know in an epik contract there's a section about breaking your contract to leave early and in regards to housing you would have to pay something I think. I'm mainly concerned with the amount though. For two pieces of paperwork that sounds extreme to me.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 08:40:08 am »
Did you sign your contract? If yes, then yes. You broke the contract and are liable for the losses. If no then you don't owe jack.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 09:48:29 am »
You're not legally obliged to pay, but your boss can sue you for it. The legal costs alone would be more than the 750k won, so there'd be no benefit in pursuing legal action...unless your boss is one of those super petty ones.

Morally...there's not much in you not paying. Your boss had you work illegally for a few weeks/months...that was putting you at legal risk if you had gotten caught. So it kind of balances out. Whether you want to pay or not fully depends on you and what you decide to do...but there are no legal repercussions to worry about.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 09:59:06 am »
I didn't sign a contract, but I did verbally tell my boss that I'd work at her hagwon. As for the paperwork, my boss got it processed from Korea so I'm assuming that's where the high fees come into play. Expedited shipping, agency costs, etc. I was doing "training" which basically meant I was teaching under the supervision of the current teacher. I was promised to be paid half the regular pay during this training period, but when I went in to talk to her about having to leave I told her I would forfeit my pay. I just felt so bad for having to leave, but I didn't expect her to ask me to pay for the paperwork fees.

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 02:56:54 pm »
So with no contract and the fact that she had you working illegally without the proper visa I'd say fight it and don't pay. I think you did the right thing by forfeiting your pay though.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 07:04:56 pm »
It does not cost 750,000 won to have that paperwork done Korea. 

I did it a couple of years ago....$175, max. 

I'm sorry to hear about your situation....but, let this be a lesson.  NEVER fully trust any school....EVER.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 09:35:17 pm »
You're not legally obliged to pay, but your boss can sue you for it. The legal costs alone would be more than the 750k won, so there'd be no benefit in pursuing legal action...unless your boss is one of those super petty ones.

Morally...there's not much in you not paying. Your boss had you work illegally for a few weeks/months...that was putting you at legal risk if you had gotten caught. So it kind of balances out. Whether you want to pay or not fully depends on you and what you decide to do...but there are no legal repercussions to worry about.

If you are planning on leaving the country, and have no assets there, him suing you is a moot point since he canít collect anything.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 12:55:19 pm »
Are you on an E2 Visa?  If you came and worked on a tourist visa, just leave.  You owe nothing and he can't report you.  Also tell customs you visited some friends and are going back.  You may be able to apply for an E2 from here if you have your documents.  But say nothing, do nothing, and next time get the legal E2 before coming over.  (You can get in a lot of trouble for that.)

You cannot get an E2 Visa without those documents.  You said you didn't have them.  So, I assume you are on a tourist visa which is illegal.  Both you and the company will get in trouble.  They can't report you if you leave.  But  don't use them as a reference again. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 01:01:31 pm »
Both you and the company will get in trouble.  They can't report you if you leave.  But  don't use them as a reference again. 

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 01:10:33 pm »
Both you and the company will get in trouble.  They can't report you if you leave.  But  don't use them as a reference again. 

Hahaha, I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 01:17:05 pm »

The phrase: quit being an asshole
comes to mind.

Please don't insert your words into my post. I didn't consent to that.

Anyway, not a Peep Show fan, huh?

Just a bit of a ribbing. I don't think you're an idiot, but telling them not to use them as a reference after bailing and not paying them.............. well, yeah. Obviously.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 01:33:48 pm »

The phrase: quit being an asshole
comes to mind.

Please don't insert your words into my post. I didn't consent to that.

Anyway, not a Peep Show fan, huh?

Just a bit of a ribbing. I don't think you're an idiot, but telling them not to use them as a reference after bailing and not paying them.............. well, yeah. Obviously.

Sorry, had some drama yesterday.  A bit ready to jump on things more than I should.  Anyways, thanks for replying.  I removed my above post.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 01:43:31 pm »
I don't understand why people move away from their home countries and when/if something happens they go running back home. Maybe foreign teachers should have clauses inserted into their contracts that state something of the sort.

Since I've been in Asia 2 family members have died and my sister has cancer. Again.

I've never gone back, nor will I.

As to the question, it appears you were working illegally. You owe nothing and that's exactly what the boss will do when you walk.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2019, 01:53:28 pm »
I don't understand why people move away from their home countries and when/if something happens they go running back home. Maybe foreign teachers should have clauses inserted into their contracts that state something of the sort.

Since I've been in Asia 2 family members have died and my sister has cancer. Again.

As to the question, it appears you were working illegally. You owe nothing and that's exactly what the boss will do when you walk.

So?...do you want a trophy for that? 

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 02:19:49 pm »
I don't understand why people move away from their home countries and when/if something happens they go running back home.
I'm also curious about what kind of "personal matters" bring about these uncerimonious departures. This isn't the first thread of this nature, and surely won't be the last. I came to Korea nearly four years ago and haven't missed a single day of work. Things have been miserable at times, but pulling a runner (or even a sick day) has never been an option.

I'll take a trophy thanks, NorthStar  :azn:

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 04:48:43 pm »
I don't understand why people move away from their home countries and when/if something happens they go running back home.
I'm also curious about what kind of "personal matters" bring about these uncerimonious departures. This isn't the first thread of this nature, and surely won't be the last. I came to Korea nearly four years ago and haven't missed a single day of work. Things have been miserable at times, but pulling a runner (or even a sick day) has never been an option.

OK.....no sick day in 4 years.  Is that because you have not been sick enough to miss work,  are a spotlight ranger, a hagwon hero,  allowed yourself to be bullied into going to work despite being very ill, or....what?  I need to know before your trophy can be awarded.

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 07:25:53 pm »

OK.....no sick day in 4 years.  Is that because you have not been sick enough to miss work,  are a spotlight ranger, a hagwon hero,  allowed yourself to be bullied into going to work despite being very ill, or....what?  I need to know before your trophy can be awarded.
Pretty sure it's customary for the trophy to be awarded before the match analysis

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 09:01:45 am »

So?...do you want a trophy for that? 

Of course. Who wouldn't? As for the sick days mentioned above. In 6 years I had 4 sick days. Three of them hospitalized due to botulism thanks to a Korean seafood / raw fish restaurant I got dragged to by the teachers cuz the principal had to have raw fish. The fourth was recuperating at my apartment for a day.

I was never late.

I am a hero. Not that snotty obnoxious lying puppet Greta Thunberg.

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90įS.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2019, 03:11:51 am »
tsk... tsk...

No bashing please, and I think I have never met an autist that would try to lie his/her way out of going to school, on the contrary, I think that the one thing that stands out about autists is that they simply do not lie, either because they do not care or because they do not see the use for it.

So whatever you may think of Great, (see what I did there?  :angel:) she is certainly much more relevant to you boomer lot 'living the life in said tropics' than to us eeking out a meager existence in the used-to-be-cold Northern hemisphere.

Yesterday was the first time I didn't have to wear a coat to work on the first day of Christmas recess. So, I raise your neglect with my 14 C. (57F.) in December. :afro:
incumbo studiis