Read 578 times

Hello, I've been working in Korea for about 9 months now and my current contract will end on Feb 29th, 2020.

My boss approached me rather early into the school year and asked me if I wanted to re-sign for another year. At the time, I was hopeful and decided that I would stay because, "why not? right." I thought things could only get better, but that didn't exactly happen.

So far this year, we've had 4 runners that left in the middle of the night-- which means that we have to work overtime to cover their classes, a crazy amount at that. She has also been finding reasons not to pay the full amount of overtime and just give the minimum amount. On top of that, she doesn't give us our salary overview of the taxes that are taken out. You have to request this. I recently asked for mine (earlier that week, for the Dec. 7th payday) and she has yet to give it to me.

My question is: The new contract does not start until March 1st, 2020 and I no longer want to work at this school. I'd much rather finish my contract, which ends on Feb 29th, 2020 and return home. If I tell her this fact, can she legally hold me accountable for the new contract, which doesn't start until March 2020. I would be giving her nearly 80 days notice and I'm not exactly quitting...Just finishing my last contract and leaving the company...

Your help would be much appreciated on this matter!!!

Thanks

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90įS.- 0'E
    more
Re: Need some advice! Cancelling a contract that has yet to begin....
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 02:35:57 am »
Why has your school had 4 of them?
That's a sign on the wall, isn't it?
incumbo studiis

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 06:07:27 am »
*Contract arenít binding until they begin. You need to give her your decision in writing. Keep a copy for your records. Donít mention anything negative about your change of mind. If she tries anything funny then contact the labor board.

Good luck
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 07:47:15 am by thunderlips »

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 06:50:46 am »
Cintract arenít binding until they begin. You need to give her your decision in writing. Keep a copy for your records. Donít mention anything negative about your change of mind. If she tries anything funny then contact the labor board.

Good luck

This.  Until the contract starts it's isn't binding, and until you go to immigration with that contract and get your visa then you're free to find another job without hassle.  But it sounds like your boss is an a-hole, so be careful how you go about this if you want to see out your contract.  Keep working hard, keep going in and give them no reason to fire you.  If something starts to be a bit iffy, then contact Labour.  Good Luck!