Read 1922 times

• APH
  • Veteran

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
6 Week Winter Camp
« on: December 04, 2019, 06:54:16 pm »
So I’ve been tasked with preparing 2 three week winter camps for January and February. I'll be doing it with a new arrival who I haven't met/know nothing about. We’re currently in the process of finding another teacher as since the last teacher left there’s been issues with finding a replacement, so it’s been temp teacher after temp teacher. I’ve been told that the new teacher will arrive in January which means positives: I won’t be alone. Negatives: I have to prepare the whole thing myself.

The school sent out the fliers already without actually running it by me first, which is frustrating. The “camps” at my school don’t really make much sense to me anyway as we still have normal class schedules, we’re just required to come in for an extra 2 hours in the mornings to do the winter camps. So I’m going to be doing an extra 2 hours of work before my regular teaching schedule every day for 6 weeks….either that or we'll alternate days between myself and the new teacher.

So it’s a three week camp in January (10am-12pm) and then another 3 weeks in February (10am-12pm). I’ve been told to prepare 2 separate themes for the January and February camps and have it similar to the summer camp we did in August, which was only 2 weeks and I prepared that with another teacher. Last time we did “Around the World” as the theme so it was pretty straight forward to come up with stuff based on a new country each day. I’ve had a look through some of the posts on here and it all seems to be 1 week camp or short like that. I need some themes I can stretch for 3 weeks….*sigh*

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated…

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: 6 Week Winter Camp
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 07:15:14 pm »
lol **** camp. it's bullshit anyway. just do some loose theme which you can do anything in. "sports day" "arts day" etc with wishy washy lesson plans like "activity 1" and "wrap up activity". do lots of low prep but student-focused activities

make a board game (then play each others)
egg drop
tallest tower out of spaghetti
trash fashion
strongest paper bridge
paper helicopters
etc

don't stress. i soon found out nobody gave a shit about camp except me. anyway, it's way too much work and effort if you're only on a low 2.x million won salary

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 07:24:25 am »
Similar to what Oglop said, nobody gives a **** about camp apart from you. Don't stress it.

I went from creating a whole camp curriculum in my first 2 years, to repeating a 'Round the World' and 'Famous Festivals' camp each year. It goes down well and there is minimal prep once you have made it.

This year, Mud Models (making tiles/cups/statues/flowers - Whatever you theme is) One pack of clay for a kid. Hour down the drain. Dream Catchers (Self explanatory) Holi Origami Flowers (On each sheet of multicoloured paper they write something related to Holi) Then trade with others to get 5 parts of the flower, Splatter Mess-ages (Use stencils to make a Holi mess - English proverbs) Harbin Winter Wonderland (Making stain glass windows - Tissue paper, thick A3 card, knives, plastic sticky coating) Rio Masks (Glorified colouring in)

The students also make their own PPT based on what festival they would make, they decide the food, the music, the theming, where it is, some even do budgets! They need to do a 2 min presentation to 'graduate' the camp.

Decide a theme for each week, then go from there. Although you mentioned the school has already given out flyers, what was the theme on it?
75% of foreigners regularly hang out in Itaewon. Only about 0.001% of Koreans do.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 07:34:41 am »
Dream Catchers (Self explanatory)

Oh dear, Winter cultural appropriation camp.  :shocked: though since it's non white kids making them, I guess it's OK.  :smiley:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 07:58:44 am »
lol **** camp. it's bullshit anyway. just do some loose theme which you can do anything in. "sports day" "arts day" etc with wishy washy lesson plans like "activity 1" and "wrap up activity". do lots of low prep but student-focused activities

make a board game (then play each others)
egg drop
tallest tower out of spaghetti
trash fashion
strongest paper bridge
paper helicopters
etc

don't stress. i soon found out nobody gave a shit about camp except me. anyway, it's way too much work and effort if you're only on a low 2.x million won salary
oh, i didn't mean to insult anyone here btw. what i meant was that, in the past, teachers would get paid extra to make camp. at my old school, they'd get extra teachers in and pay them something like 1.2m for two weeks of camp. so to plan 6 weeks of camp without any extra pay? nah mate, forget it

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 08:51:29 am »
Whats even worse is when you find out from the vice principal that your co-teacher got paid extra money to assist you with the camp and simply didn't show up. Seriously don't stress the camps.

T.C.

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 09:21:34 am »

Oh dear, Winter cultural appropriation camp.  :shocked: though since it's non white kids making them, I guess it's OK.  :smiley:

I'm not one to give two f**** about SJW horse**** but in this case I'll say cultural 'appreciation'. Luckily this is Korea, where white/black/brown and green people walk around taking selfies in Hanbok all year long for the 'insta' and no one gives a ****  One of the benefits of living this side of the world, being offended over every little thing hasn't took hold here... Yet!

You have any advice for OP?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:23:35 am by Colburnnn »
75% of foreigners regularly hang out in Itaewon. Only about 0.001% of Koreans do.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 09:40:09 am »
I will word of caution against doing too many arts and craft activites.  You might have a smattering of students complain that they aren't doing enough writing or speaking enough English.  So try and factor in some trivia games and worksheets so that if feels like an actual English class. 

My travel school I had 2 out of 28 kids that signed up, who complained to their mother's that we did too many arts and crafts because we made a paper mache mask :rolleyes: :rolleyes:   And then the next day when I did have activities that required the kids to talk, the kids who didn't complain about the art and crafts, which was a VAST MAJORITY OF THEM refused to take paper in the speaking activities. 

So just thought I'd throw that in, in case you get a complaint, in this never ending battle of NEVER SATISFIED WITH WHAT YOU DO! 

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 09:55:12 am »
I will word of caution against doing too many arts and craft activites.  You might have a smattering of students complain that they aren't doing enough writing or speaking enough English.  So try and factor in some trivia games and worksheets so that if feels like an actual English class. 

My travel school I had 2 out of 28 kids that signed up, who complained to their mother's that we did too many arts and crafts because we made a paper mache mask :rolleyes: :rolleyes:   And then the next day when I did have activities that required the kids to talk, the kids who didn't complain about the art and crafts, which was a VAST MAJORITY OF THEM refused to take paper in the speaking activities. 

So just thought I'd throw that in, in case you get a complaint, in this never ending battle of NEVER SATISFIED WITH WHAT YOU DO! 

Yeah I've always wondered about that.  What's the point in having a native teacher at school if the students are just going to be cooking or making a bridge out of drinking straws?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 10:02:40 am »

yeah, haha. you can't win whatever you do. so, just make it easy for yourself

but having lots of wordsearches and worksheets on hand is a low-effort way to kill time anyway

alexisalex: there isn't really one. camp is a pointless thing. it's just babysitting the kids while their mums work/drink coffee while their friends
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 10:05:33 am by oglop »

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 10:37:37 am »
Thank goodness, my last winter camp will be at my main school.  There they let me be me.   I can make the camp HOWEVER I want and if it's ice cream parties or building bridges out of straws than so be it. 
Camp time is suppose to be a time to relax and have fun!  I never went to a summer camp or winter camp growing up but from what I heard it's a whole lot of friendship bracelet making, horse back riding, pitching tents, swimming in watering holes going on.   Unless you went to a Bible study camp there wasn't much picking up of pencils and studying going on. 

So that's my mentality with the kids.  LET THEM RELAX AND HAVE FUN!  Believe me, a lot of them don't want to be there because they realize their other classmates are probably on vacations with their family or having REAL FUN at home, while that have to look at my face.  PAINFUL!  I know this!  So I lessen the pain by kicking back, popping on a movie here and there, have some paper fashion shows, and over all easy fun.   :rolleyes:

• APH
  • Veteran

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 11:43:43 am »
Similar to what Oglop said, nobody gives a **** about camp apart from you. Don't stress it.

Decide a theme for each week, then go from there. Although you mentioned the school has already given out flyers, what was the theme on it?

They didn't specify a theme on the flyer, just said "English speaking, writing, listening, reading etc".

I get that you can just fill the time with random crafts and stuff but I don't think I'm going to be able to submit a plan for the camp to my boss and say the theme is just "making stuff" haha coming up with activities for two 15 day camps is going to be such a pain though. Plus I get people saying no one really cares about the camps but I have to show my boss the plan and she wants it to be related to a clear theme.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 11:59:39 am »

They didn't specify a theme on the flyer, just said "English speaking, writing, listening, reading etc".

I get that you can just fill the time with random crafts and stuff but I don't think I'm going to be able to submit a plan for the camp to my boss and say the theme is just "making stuff" haha coming up with activities for two 15 day camps is going to be such a pain though. Plus I get people saying no one really cares about the camps but I have to show my boss the plan and she wants it to be related to a clear theme.

Yeah that sucks that it's already been promoted as involving writing and reading.

Well you can do some speed read challenges and have the kids write Dear Diaries.   Or maybe ask a friend from your home country if they know anyone or if they themselves work at an elementary school you can write pen pal letters too. 

Glad I get to just make my camp how I want it.  At my travel school we were even discouraged from showing movies on the last couple of days.  NO THANK YOU!!! 

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 12:14:09 pm »
I agree that the kids should be allowed to relax as much as possible. This is supposed to be their vacation time. Even though my most recent camp was filled with cooking, science experiments, crafts, and solving mysteries, many of my students still complained in Korean about how they wanted to go home. I don't blame them since a lot of them go to hagwons until 10 P.M. I feel bad that they never get a break to enjoy being children :(  Six weeks of camp sounds brutal for you and your students! I hope you find some good resources here to help you!

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 01:51:56 pm »

Please tell me this is a joke!?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 01:59:33 pm »

Please tell me this is a joke!?

It's Stoat. Obv it is. haha
William Sanzinger Killed Poor Hattie Carroll

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 03:05:51 pm »
I agree that the kids should be allowed to relax as much as possible. This is supposed to be their vacation time. Even though my most recent camp was filled with cooking, science experiments, crafts, and solving mysteries, many of my students still complained in Korean about how they wanted to go home. I don't blame them since a lot of them go to hagwons until 10 P.M. I feel bad that they never get a break to enjoy being children :(  Six weeks of camp sounds brutal for you and your students! I hope you find some good resources here to help you!

What are some science experiments you do? I could be interested in doing something like that next year.

I do lots of cooking and art, usually a sports day, a movie day, the 5th is board games, but I might do a 2nd movie day this year instead of board games.
Cooking is always my most popular day. I often do baking to bring to school for my co-t's and students, and my school loves my baking. :D

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 09:12:34 pm »
  Our hagwon decreed a 3 week winter camp for me. Camp hours : 9:30 a.m. to 2:20 p.m. with the added charms of a bitchy co-teacher. I have to prepare for just 2 kids. It was only one kid last week. It feels pretty heavy-going. Last week was worse though.

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 03:20:58 pm »
I used to do my winter camps all about the glories of living in the tropics. I did all my summer camps about the lousy hot sweaty weather in Korea.