Read 668 times

• CookieCat
  • Waygookin

• August 29, 2014, 09:55:37 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
SMOE Location Placement
« on: December 03, 2019, 02:43:26 pm »
I have worked for EPIK before and I know how it works. You aren't told your region/city placement until orientation. So, you have to be open to not getting your preferred location.

I realize SMOE is now a part of the EPIK program, but I don't remember any people being placed in Seoul during my orientation a couple years back. Do people accepted into SMOE find out that they are going to be in Seoul beforehand (or are they just told they are accepted into EPIK without knowing a placement)?

I am currently living in Korea and considering SMOE for Fall 2020. But, having to wait until orientation and accept a possible placement anywhere would be a deal breaker for me. My significant other is moving to Seoul and I can't just accept an EPIK position super far away. Can any current SMOE teacher fill me in on how it works?

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
Re: SMOE Location Placement
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 10:25:13 am »
At my orientation in Spring 2018 there was like 10 people going to Seoul and they already knew. They even had different ID badges than everyone else that said Seoul.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: SMOE Location Placement
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 02:59:17 pm »
Just remember SMOE pay sucks.  It has often the worst work conditions.  Low pay and no renewal allowance.  In theory if you were hired at the lowest level - no experience and no TESOL you'd be making 1.8 million.  My province starts at 2.1 for that.  I do realize no one will be hired at that level nowadays, but it's the principal of the thing.  But low 2's, no bonus, lots of deskwarming (in what many folks have told me) in a cold room with no heat during the winter vacation?  At least out in the provinces, you can turn on the heat / air con, make more money and get your renewal bonus.  But to each their own.  I'd teach in another country nearby and make more money before I put up with that.  If you're an American with large student loans, do the math.  Low pay, high living cost here nowadays, terrible exchange rate, I think you'll be quite poor and barely able to afford to repay your loans.  Get your @$$ to China and send money to mom and dad via Western Union.  Let them put it in your bank account, then go online and repay the student loans and watch your savings balance increase.  It's what I'd do if I were starting here now.  In today's money (inflation adjusted), I made close to 2.9 mil monthly salary and renewal bonus starting out.  I couldn't live or have much quality of life on 2.1 or 2.2 million.  To each their own I guess.