Read 709 times

• Subiaco
  • Adventurer

• August 29, 2011, 10:08:02 am
    • Asan, Chungnam
Chung Nam Samsung Academy (CNSA), a private Korean high school founded by Samsung in 2014, is looking for a passionate, motivated, innovative teacher to join our English department.  We pride ourselves on offering high-quality education to our students.  If you want to teach highly motivated students in a dynamic work environment, please consider applying! 

As a full teacher at our school, not just an assistant, you will build close relationships with your students and experience the rewards of seeing your students learn about the world and grow in their ability to express themselves in English.

At our school, we seek teachers who want to continue to grow as lifelong learners.  We plan to offer the acclaimed International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP – more info at the end of this post) in English starting in 2021, pending authorization, which may also provide an opportunity for further professional growth and development.  Because of the possible expansion of IB classes in the natural sciences in the future, candidates with a background in the natural sciences are preferred.

Contract Period: 1 year; March 1, 2020, to February 28, 2021
(renewal possible according to evaluation)

Duties and Responsibilities:
  • Teach up to 20 English class hours per week (generally 15-17)
  • For those classes, plan lessons, create and/or edit exams, and grade student work
  • Help to guide students in a student club
  • Participate in and/or judge departmental contests (such as the English Debate Contest and Model UN)
  • Help students to prepare for university interviews and/or outside competitions
  • Perform other duties as assigned

Qualifications:
Required:
  • Native English speaker with strong interpersonal skills
  • B.A., B.S., or higher
  • Minimum of 1 year of teaching experience (2 or more preferred)
  • Strong organizational skills and sense of responsibility
  • Residency visa with eligibility to work in Korea (F2, F4 (Gyopo), F5, or F6)

Considered a Plus:
  • Academic training in English and/or education: graduate degree or major or minor in a related field, teaching certification, and/or TESOL or CELTA certification
  • Academic training in the natural sciences: graduate degree or major or minor in a related field and/or teaching certification
  • Familiarity or experience with IB
  • Familiarity with Korean culture and language

Salary and Benefits:
  • Above the average public school salary—base pay similar to EPIK, according to experience and qualifications, and bonus pay on top of that
  • BONUS pay for both Chuseok and Seollal, as well as the summer and winter vacations
  • BONUS supplemental group insurance and employer-paid biennial health check-ups
  • BONUS pass for Samsung Display City’s network of free buses
  • Additional benefits similar to EPIK:
  • Housing stipend (400,000 won/ month)
  • Korean National Health Insurance (50/50)
  • Korean National Pension
  • All Korean public holidays and school-designated holidays
  • Vacation: 26 days per year (to be taken during school vacations)

Location: Asan, Chungcheongnam-do (about 1 1/2 hours south of Seoul, or 40 minutes via high-speed train)

*****How to Apply*****

Please send the following to recruitforteachers@cnsa.hs.kr:
  • Resume or CV
  • Cover letter, outlining your experience in the educational field, your teaching philosophy, and any background experience you have in the sciences and/or with IB
  • Proof of F-visa eligibility—a copy of alien registration card showing F-visa status OR statement in a cover letter explaining eligibility
  • Valid copy of background check from home country (if currently working in a public school in Korea, a copy from the time of first hiring is acceptable; original will be requested upon hiring)
  • Reference letters (if available; can be provided later upon request)

After initial screening, successful applicants will be asked to provide 2 reference letters, a copy of your passport and alien registration card (if applicable), and a copy of your diplomas and/or certificates.

Applicants selected for an interview will be asked to prepare a short teaching demo to begin the interview.

Application deadline: Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Application review and interviews: December 12-22, 2019
Final notification of successful candidate: December 26-30, 2019

Before official hiring, the successful candidate will be asked to submit the results of a TB test.

If no suitable candidates are found, hiring may not take place, at the discretion of the school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More about CNSA:

CNSA has the distinction of being the only high school founded by Samsung, and though it only opened in 2014, is already at the forefront of innovation in Korean education.  CNSA recognizes high school students as “little adults,” not just “big kids,” and accordingly invites them to take charge of their own learning—to choose their own classes according to their level and interests, to participate actively in class activities and discussions, and to conduct their own research.  “Beyond University” is CNSA’s motto—our more holistic approach to education aims not just at getting students into university, but at equipping them with the autonomy, creativity, and excellence that they need to live healthy and productive lives. 

For more information about our school, please see our website, available in both English and Korean: https://www.cnsa.hs.kr/hpwEng.

More about IB:

CNSA is a candidate school* for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme and is pursuing authorization as an IB World School.

IB World Schools share a common philosophy—a commitment to improve the teaching and learning of a diverse and inclusive community of students by delivering challenging, high quality programmes of international education that share a powerful vision.**

*Only schools authorized by the International Baccalaureate can offer any of its four academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme (DP), or the Career-related Programme (CP). Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorization will be granted.

**Mission Statement from the IB
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment. These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.

For further information about the IB and its programmes, visit www.ibo.org.

Is this an international school? Is it aspiring to become one? Are teachers required to teach high school subjects? If so, the correct visa is  the E-7.
A housing stipend is mentioned. What about key money?

Is this an international school? Is it aspiring to become one? Are teachers required to teach high school subjects? If so, the correct visa is  the E-7.

This job is only for F-visas, so there is no need to offer it as a E-7.

To me, this is one of these jobs that don't come along that often and would have excellent students. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
shit pay though, if they use the same pay scale as EPIK. especially if they want an F visa

shit pay though, if they use the same pay scale as EPIK. especially if they want an F visa

I get that.  It's a toss-up really.  I'd take less money, and have good, motivated high school students and have responsibility for my own work in a high school than more money with crappy noisy elementary kids and co-teachers who fell the need just to plough through a crappy textbook.  Just more fulfilling with the former, but I understand that's not everyone's main motivation. 

• Subiaco
  • Adventurer

• Asan, Chungnam
Is this an international school? Is it aspiring to become one? Are teachers required to teach high school subjects? If so, the correct visa is the E-7.

This is not an international school. It's a private high school that is funded by Samsung Display. The school is in the middle of the application process to become an IB school and offer some of its classes.

Key money is not covered I'm pretty sure but I can double-check that.

I currently work at this school, and as Ronnie said it's a toss-up. I agree that they shouldn't be using the EPIK pay scale. However, I'll take my Advanced English students any day plus the opportunity to gain experience teaching IB History.

I'll answer whatever questions I can.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 08:46:59 am by Subiaco »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
yeah, fair enough then. how many other native teachers work at the school?

wonder why they're being so coy on revealing the pay (and bonuses). that would usually put me off applying altogether.

I absolutely love when job postings have a long laundry list of demands and what they expect, but will not even mention pay. I'm assuming " Similar to Epik pay scale " means they are going to throw in an extra 100k more a month. 

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Is this an international school? Is it aspiring to become one? Are teachers required to teach high school subjects? If so, the correct visa is the E-7.

This is not an international school. It's a private high school that is funded by Samsung Display. The school is in the middle of the application process to become an IB school and offer some of its classes.

Key money is not covered I'm pretty sure but I can double-check that.

I currently work at this school, and as Ronnie said it's a toss-up. I agree that they shouldn't be using the EPIK pay scale. However, I'll take my Advanced English students any day plus the opportunity to gain experience teaching IB History.

I'll answer whatever questions I can.

What certifications did you need to become a job recruiter in Korea?

So teaching experience and job recruitment experience really that’s double the experience for the same pay. Well played.

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
Hi! Can you you explain the 26 Vacation days please, is this the same amount of vacation offered to your Korean teaching faculty? International schools offer more that 5 weeks off per year, why is this job only offering bare bones?

Hi! Can you you explain the 26 Vacation days please, is this the same amount of vacation offered to your Korean teaching faculty? International schools offer more that 5 weeks off per year, why is this job only offering bare bones?

This is not an international school. It's a private high school that is funded by Samsung Display.

Seriously, I'm usually the first to be critical of schools and contracts, but this one has the EPIK kind of contract but it will be teaching really good, motivated students.  As someone who's taught all types, elementary, middle, high, co-ed, single-sex, countryside, city, that when you teach motivated high school students it makes your job so much easier.  You still have to work hard to push the students, but you can try out different methods, speak only in English etc.  There is also a level of appreciation and connection you don't get in elementary and middle.  Just saying. 

Can't pay bills with appreciation.

• Subiaco
  • Adventurer

• Asan, Chungnam
yeah, fair enough then. how many other native teachers work at the school?

wonder why they're being so coy on revealing the pay (and bonuses). that would usually put me off applying altogether.

There's just one other native English teacher.

I was put off with the coyness when I applied as well but it came out as I expected.
The pay is the same as the EPIK pay scale so if someone has the relevant qualifications you can assume to start at level 1 which is 2.5. Goes up to Level 1+ (2.7) but I don't think anyone can start at that level. Gotta do the typical two years at level 1.
As for bonuses, for reference, my chuseok bonus was 1.25 but no clue how that's determined. No idea what it will be next year.

Again, this is not an international school so a direct comparison isn't going to help. I would assume most international schools are on a different school calendar than Korean schools.
26 days is the number I got this year and I'll take it over the 18 that was typical for EPIK type teachers before that. That seemed to be a nationwide thing that got rolled out. I don't know much more than that.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
lots of desk warming then, i guess?

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• South Korea
Hi! Thanks for the reply.  As you know, EPIK standard is 26 Days per year now.

Are you expected to desk warm then? As 26 is not enough to cover the school vacations periods. Not sure if you answered, I didn't see in your replies. Do you get the same vacation as your co-workers?

• Subiaco
  • Adventurer

• Asan, Chungnam
lots of desk warming then, i guess?

No not really. Not like other high schools.

• Subiaco
  • Adventurer

• Asan, Chungnam
Hi! Thanks for the reply.  As you know, EPIK standard is 26 Days per year now.

Are you expected to desk warm then? As 26 is not enough to cover the school vacations periods. Not sure if you answered, I didn't see in your replies. Do you get the same vacation as your co-workers?

For example, this year I didn't take very many days off during summer vacation because I had things to work on and I'm using most of my days to take almost the whole month of January off. I really don't know exactly how many days the Korean teachers get. It's pretty much if you don't use the days during vacation then you're desk warming.

@oglop
Sorry, I thought you might be referring to downtime with nothing to do.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 01:32:55 pm by Subiaco »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
vacation time, i meant. i guess you have to come to school during vacation and desk warm

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• South Korea
Ahh thats a shame... Thanks for posting it anyway, makes a change from the usual dross.

For an F visa requirement, you would think there would be some kind of benefit. School looks great on the website, but I couldn't go back to desk warming. Making your staff come to work for no reason (especially when your co-workers are off) is not acceptable to me.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
Ahh thats a shame... Thanks for posting it anyway, makes a change from the usual dross.

For an F visa requirement, you would think there would be some kind of benefit. School looks great on the website, but I couldn't go back to desk warming. Making your staff come to work for no reason (especially when your co-workers are off) is not acceptable to me.
yeah exactly. it's absolutely mental