Read 335 times

• bb459
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2019, 06:19:42 pm
    • South Korea
Question: Sending/shipping luggage and things back to the US
« on: December 02, 2019, 02:21:17 pm »
Anyone ever sent large boxes or suitcases back to the US for cheap?
My friend ships large amounts from the Philippines by boat for like 60$
Takes almost 2 months but it's super cheap and if it's things you don't need access
to right away doesn't seem so bad.

What's the best ways yall send/ship things back home?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Question: Sending/shipping luggage and things back to the US
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 02:43:26 pm »
Anyone ever sent large boxes or suitcases back to the US for cheap?
My friend ships large amounts from the Philippines by boat for like 60$
Takes almost 2 months but it's super cheap and if it's things you don't need access
to right away doesn't seem so bad.

What's the best ways yall send/ship things back home?

Thanks in advance.

You can ship large amounts by surface mail - however, the largest size box you're allowed to use for most countries is the 5호 box at the post office. Circumference plus longest edge length have to be under 200cm total.

Surface mail is exceptionally cheap, but like your friend mentioned, it does take anywhere between 1-3 months. Maximum weight is - I believe - 20kg, but it's more likely you'll come up against the size limitation before you hit the weight cap. It's very reliable, too. I've never had anything go missing.

Anything small and valuable, though, I would recommend using EMS express mail for.

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 08:35:01 am »
My husband is thinking about surface mail/freight by boat as well. When we move back to the US next year we might have to take some furniture back with us and his PC he built himself is super heavy, so we're thinking we might go this route for a lot of our bulkier items.

What happens once it reaches the US though? Do they transport it all the way to your residence or do you have to pick it up somewhere?

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 11:30:36 am »
My husband is thinking about surface mail/freight by boat as well. When we move back to the US next year we might have to take some furniture back with us and his PC he built himself is super heavy, so we're thinking we might go this route for a lot of our bulkier items.

What happens once it reaches the US though? Do they transport it all the way to your residence or do you have to pick it up somewhere?

I'm not sure about surface freight, but anything shipped with the post office gets treated as normal parcel mail by USPS once it's in the system, and it will be delivered to whichever address is on the label.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 01:14:49 pm »

Depends what you're willing to pay.   You'll've saved so much vs. postal service you'll probably still come out ahead. 

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 08:20:52 am »

If you hire an international moving company that will ship your belongings by sea (ship/vessel), then yes, your belongings will be transported from door-to-door (i.e., from your origin destination/residence in Korea to your final destination/residence in the U.S.).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 08:23:45 am by Mezoti97 »

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• Anseong
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 10:20:04 am »

Depends what you're willing to pay.   You'll've saved so much vs. postal service you'll probably still come out ahead. 

Yeah that's what I was thinking anyway. I was mainly concerned with the logistics.

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• Anseong
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 10:22:00 am »

If you hire an international moving company that will ship your belongings by sea (ship/vessel), then yes, your belongings will be transported from door-to-door (i.e., from your origin destination/residence in Korea to your final destination/residence in the U.S.).

Ah ok good to know. I wasn't sure if it would just sit at a port until we arrange something or if there's fulfillment service. My parents live pretty close to a port, but a direct delivery is way better.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 05:42:06 pm »
Ah ok good to know. I wasn't sure if it would just sit at a port until we arrange something or if there's fulfillment service. My parents live pretty close to a port, but a direct delivery is way better.

Yeah, I looked into this recently and was told that it is door-to-door service.