Read 278 times

I'm curious to know if it's possible to teach a winter camp that's not at the school that hired you and gave you a visa sponsorship.
Would this violate the terms of the E2 visa and risk a deportation?
It could be a good way to make extra cash during my vacation period but I don't want to take any big risks.

Re: E2 Visa - is it possible to teach winter camp for a separate institution?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 08:13:11 am »
Are you a public school teacher?  If so, it should officially go through your school.  If you find a winter job when your school is 'not in session' and there is no one at school then you can get their permission to work somewhere else.  You wouldn't even need to use your paid vacation either.  The other school will send an official paper outlining dates, pay etc and then your school okays it, then you're good to go.  Obviously, it depends on your relationship with your school, if they're cool, then it's all good, if you think they'll kick up a fuss because you're 'their' teacher, then you have problems.  But it's always best to go through the official channels with public school.  But I suspect, they'll be cool with it as I've always done it this way with extra work. 

*Also, you could contact your provincial coordinator, and they may have schools that are looking for winter camp teachers.  Making it even more proper. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 08:15:05 am by Ronnie Omelettes »

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 08:56:03 am »
Yes you can but you need to get permission from your school. And yes itís a great way to make some extra cash.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 08:58:11 am »
Yeah, typically your coordinator will know of schools in your province that might be looking for a foreign teacher for camps. They are usually extra pay, and they will have the dates and how much pay you would get well in advance. And because they are from your education office, there is usually no problem with doing them. Sadly, all the ones that have been close to me, have been on days / times of my main school camp, or during my vacation when I'm traveling.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 12:08:49 pm »
Also universities sometimes host camps for younger students. Those are usually fun and good pay.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 03:06:45 pm »
Heck, schools might even give permission for some corporate gigs. I know some people in rural areas who ended up teaching English to like Doosan construction engineers or something like that because basically those guys were there a few days a week ever week  doing nothing in the evening before they went back to their hometowns and through a night on the town would run into an English teacher and decide to start up a class. Basically they can get an English credit during their crap time in BF-myeon. The local school thinks it's fine because their English teacher is suddenly affiliated with the biggest company in town. The NET basically gets paid 100k a week to yik yak about baseball and booze for an hour before they all go out on the town and get smashed or head off to the nearest decent sized city and end up crashing at the company apartment they keep over there and having to catch the first bus back to Nowhere-myeon in the morning.

Obviously I have zero personal experience with this...