Read 4632 times

Harassed by 3rd graders?....
« on: November 26, 2019, 12:06:56 pm »
I don't know what to title this and I don't even know under which sub I should post it.

So, my first class was 3rd graders today.

I was standing in front of the class and noticed two boys obviously talking about me. The kids can be mean. So, my initial thought was that they probably thought I was pregnant because I feel a bit bloated probably the cause of my nausea. Anyways I ignored them.

Then they had an activity where they had to walk around the classroom. I was sitting at the back because my co-teacher was controlling the activity.

I was leaning against an empty desk. Then the two boys come to where I am. One of them passes and bumps on my thigh, laughs as the other one passes by me to bump on me as well. Thatís when I noticed that they were intentionally bumping on my thigh for reasons I do not know. So, I moved to create enough gap for them to move without bumping on me (part of me didnít want to believe what was going on)

As the class comes to an end, they say goodbye. I was still at the back of the class. One of the boys comes to where I am and then drops his book on the floor. I quickly noticed that he was doing this to look under my skirt as he picks it up. So I started to walk to the front, the kid picked the book up and kept on dropping it as I moved. I ended up move Next my co-teacher and against the wall, so he doesnít get a chance to do what he wants to do. The kid stood for a couple of minutes, I guess I waiting for me to come out again and eventually left when I didnít.

Why didn't I say anything to them? I don't know. I was sooo shocked and disgusted that I literally couldn't comprehend what was happening. Why didn't I tell my co-teacher? For whatever reason, I felt weird and guilty. Literally the first thing I did was to text my boyfriend and ask him if he thinks I was dressed appropriately this morning. I also thought of telling my co-teacher but her English abilities discouraged me from doing it. So, here I was grossed out.

Why am I posting it here? I don't know... guess I wanted to voice out somehow. What are some of the worse things your students have done to you?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:39:58 am by VanIslander »

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: Sexually Harassed by 3rd graders?....
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 12:34:33 pm »
Was this elementary, middle, or high school?
regardless, that is pretty terrible. I'd recommend trying to tell your co-teacher or something. You could use papago or something to help translate key words to understand you better.
If nothing comes of it, talk to the coordinator for your region, and see what you should do.

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 12:52:32 pm »
Really sorry to hear about this, what disgusting students. Definitely kick up a fuss about it, don't let them get away with it.
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 01:04:18 pm »
So, grade 3 boys were trying to get a peek up your skirt. You think this corresponds to sexual harassment? Sounds to me like curious little boys who don't understand the bigger impact of their actions.

I wouldn't get wound up about it. If it truly bothers you, wear pants.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 01:16:32 pm »
So, grade 3 boys were trying to get a peek up your skirt. You think this corresponds to sexual harassment? Sounds to me like curious little boys who don't understand the bigger impact of their actions.

This, and call them out on it right away in the middle of class. And embarrass them, then the others in the class will think of them as 'byeontae', Don't let it go next time.

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 01:23:40 pm »
Sounds to me like curious little boys who don't understand the bigger impact of their actions.

I'm pretty sure she is talking about 3rd grade middle school (correct me if I'm wrong, OP). They definitely aren't 'curious little boys' just mucking around and having fun. They're intentionally harassing a teacher and making her feel uncomfortable.
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 01:26:42 pm »
Princess_love: I was leaning against an empty desk. Then the two boys come to where I am. One of them passes and bumps on my thigh, laughs as the other one passes by me to bump on me as well. Thatís when I noticed that they were intentionally bumping on my thigh for reasons I do not know. So, I moved to create enough gap for them to move without bumping on me (part of me didnít want to believe what was going on)

As the class comes to an end, they say goodbye. I was still at the back of the class. One of the boys comes to where I am and then drops his book on the floor. I quickly noticed that he was doing this to look under my skirt as he picks it up. So I started to walk to the front, the kid picked the book up and kept on dropping it as I moved. I ended up move Next my co-teacher and against the wall, so he doesnít get a chance to do what he wants to do. The kid stood for a couple of minutes, I guess I waiting for me to come out again and eventually left when I didnít.

I get it threw you if it hadn't happened before, but I don't understand how as a teacher your reaction was to retreat and then literally to go hide behind the desk and co-teacher.  You're the teacher.  You can't be frightened by your students. You should've put a quick stop to their shenanigans the second you realised they were intentionally bumping you.  It should never have moved beyond that. 

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 01:49:22 pm »

Yikes.

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 02:41:50 pm »
3rd Grade elementary? It's not harassment, it's little boys being cheeky and not understanding what they are doing.

3rd Grade middle? Yeah... That needs to be reported. Trouble is unless your class has CCTV, they are just going to deny it.

Like OnNut said. If you thought they were bumping you deliberately, why didn't you nip it in the bud right then and there? Sounds like your classroom management could use some work...

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 02:50:18 pm »
3rd Grade elementary? It's not harassment, it's little boys being cheeky and not understanding what they are doing.

3rd Grade middle? Yeah... That needs to be reported. Trouble is unless your class has CCTV, they are just going to deny it.
Agree with this completely. My initial impression was that these are elementary students, in which case OP is surely overreacting.

Third grade middle would be super pervy. 

• Scoleman257
  • Newgookin

• August 10, 2019, 02:22:01 pm
    • Cheonan, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 02:51:39 pm »
First of all, this is totally not cool. I don't know if they are middle schoolers or elementary schoolers, but SOMETHING should be done. They need to know there is a consequence for that.

For next time.
1. You immediately, tell them(and not nicely) NO. NOT OKAY. Please leave me alone. or say 하지마! (Ha Jee Ma)
Immediately after. For now or next time if needed.
2. You immediately, tell your head teacher or a teacher that speaks English. At the very least google translate it "I felt sexually harassed by a student. That boy lifted my skirt. He tried to look. Multiple times. This behavior is wrong." EDIT:  I misread the original post. I thought when she mentioned, ďpicked it up, I read that is picked up my skirt.Ē 😐Sorry.

All of these Korean schools do sexual harassment trainings. They know that it is wrong, and hopefully they will act upon it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 04:46:32 pm by Scoleman257 »

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 03:01:04 pm »
That boy lifted my skirt. He tried to look. Multiple times.
What you on about bruh? You telling OP to lie?

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 03:19:44 pm »
That's awful. I understand that you were flustered and creeped out and everything.
You should tell your coteacher tomorrow which student did it. There aren't many things that warrant a full disciplinary writeup by schools, but sexual harassment is one of them. There is an official procedure and schoolboards across the country have been spending lots of time and money making sure that principals and administrators know not to ignore complaints that are brought to them.

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 03:28:36 pm »
First, I'm sorry that you had to experience this. It shouldn't have happened, no matter how old the students are.

It would definitely be best for you to talk to your coteacher about this. The school absolutely needs to know what these kids did so that they can address the issue. What they did crossed the line in so many ways, and they need to know exactly what the possible consequences of their sexual harassment could lead to.

If these are middle school students, there needs to be an entire review of their behavior. They know that what they're doing is not just some childish prank. There's a whole 'nother level of scheming and calculation that goes into it, and, at that age, it's serious enough to be considered predatory. It needs to be addressed by the school swiftly, and they have procedures for that.

Don't be afraid to talk to someone about this. It makes you uncomfortable and you're going to have to deal with these students in the future. You'll be better able to do this with the school's support, and seeing the students being made to take responsibility for their behavior.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2019, 03:54:03 pm »
Elementary or middle school, they know they are doing wrong. Stop being apologists for this incident. Overreacting... horse manure.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Scoleman257
  • Newgookin

• August 10, 2019, 02:22:01 pm
    • Cheonan, South Korea
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 04:47:08 pm »
That boy lifted my skirt. He tried to look. Multiple times.
What you on about bruh? You telling OP to lie?

I misread her post. My bad.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 05:04:27 pm »

Agree with this completely. My initial impression was that these are elementary students, in which case OP is surely overreacting.

Third grade middle would be super pervy. 

Some grade A BS, right here!

If kids are old enough to understand someone else touching or leering at them being wrong, then they're old enough to understand touching or leering at someone else being wrong.
Terribly sorry, OP, I'd insist that these kids get a stern reprimand by the VP or head teacher.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 05:42:09 pm »
sexual harassment is no joke. this shit needs to be stamped out as soon as possible

would it be acceptable if an adult did this? no? then it shouldn't be acceptable for kids that know better, either

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 06:54:55 pm »
I think you'd find it difficult to prove sexual harassment to be honest. You can bet the kids version will be, 'the teacher was in the way when i wanted to walk past her and my leg accidentally touched hers. Then I dropped my book' etc.. No taboo body parts were invaded so no great harm done.  The OP should have nipped it in the bud the moment the first physical contact was made.  Kids today have a lot of gall to do this kind of thing. In my school kids may have done the dropping the book thing but they wouldn't have had the nerve to try anything physical

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 11:10:39 pm »
Elementary or middle school, they know they are doing wrong. Stop being apologists for this incident. Overreacting... horse manure.
I don't think anyone disagrees that what they did was wrong or that they should be disciplined.

But how you approach this with 3rd grade elementary vs. 3rd grade middle or 3rd grade high school students is vastly different. With 3rd grade students it's highly doubtful that anything sexual or humiliating is involved and they might just be mimicking something on TV they didn't understand the context of. I mean, let's remember that there are a number of 3rd graders who are slow emotional or behavioral learners who essentially still have a borderline kindergarten mentality. With 3rd grade middle/high, yeah they know full what they were doing and deserve a smackdown.

Similarly as to the reaction, if I got dongchimmed or some kid tried to grab my junk, I might get momentarily angry, but ultimately it would be a "teachable moment". If I went full "Nuke em" retaliation, that would be an overreaction for 3rd graders. Now a teacher being ganged up and assaulted by adolescent boys? Completely different reaction and there is genuine concern for one's physical safety there. It would be hard to overreact there.

There's a reason 3rd grade high schoolers in any reasonable criminal justice system might face trial as adults, 3rd grade middle schoolers would likely face juvenile hall, and 3rd grade elementary students would likely not be charged at all because they are not mentally capable of standing trial and understanding the consequences of their actions.