Read 1055 times

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Current Good Buys at Costco...
« on: November 22, 2019, 09:05:11 am »
Haven't found any new break out foods at Costco lately that haven't been around for awhile but their clothing section can offer up some pretty good deals.  I'm tall so I usually just glance at the signs and see if it's US or Asian size and I'm extremely happy as it gets colder with the Tommy Bahama robes that are on sale now.  Only 27, 000 won and thick, soft and warm.  Perfect for someone like me that always keeps a window open at night.  Also, Nautica lazy pants, two for about 26,000.  Over the last couple of years I've scored some good Under Armour and Nike workout/exercise shirts as well in US XL.  Ignored the clothing piles there for years but it's worth looking around. 

As I tend to get caught up here in the "What the hell is Dmart talking about?" threads I need to remind myself that the main reason I look on these sites is in the hope of finding info about food or other items that are hard to find. 

Re: Current Good Buys at Costco...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 09:16:02 am »
if you are into cinnamon toast crunch cereal, they have cinnamon toast crunch churros now. 

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 09:43:32 am »
Do they sell any pie for Thanksgiving?

I know they sell turkeys but I'm in the mood for some pie.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 09:48:30 am »
Do they sell any pie for Thanksgiving?

I know they sell turkeys but I'm in the mood for some pie.

Last time I was there two weeks ago, they were selling huge pumpkin pies for around 8-9k won each. They looked like they were at least 14".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:09:06 am by Chinguetti »

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 10:19:40 am »
The pumpkin pies are good, but they were pretty damn sweet.  I've never tried any of their other pies but I think they always carry an apple pie. 

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 10:27:32 am »
they have pumpkin pies.  they put whipped cream along the edges now.  their apple pie is good too if you ever get curious about trying it out. 
i miss my hummus though.  they used to sell garlic hummus for about 5k-8k won.  good size container too

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 11:42:02 am »
As I tend to get caught up here in the "What the hell is Dmart talking about?" threads

That's pretty sad. I hope things improve for you!

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 11:46:47 am »
As I tend to get caught up here in the "What the hell is Dmart talking about?" threads

That's pretty sad. I hope things improve for you!

Thank you. 

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 12:00:41 pm »
Things I usually buy at Costco:

Vodka (American for mixing and French for straight, although some Costcos aren't carrying the French one anymore)
Plain yogurt
Cheese
Grapefruit
Avocado
Whole small chickens
Olives
Dill pickles
황태
Wine
Frozen berries and vegetables
Rye bread

Almost all of those are either only easily available at Costco or are significantly cheaper / better selection at Costco.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 12:17:55 pm »

Vodka (American for mixing and French for straight, although some Costcos aren't carrying the French one anymore)
Plain yogurt
Cheese
Grapefruit
Avocado
Whole small chickens
Olives
Dill pickles
황태
Wine
Rye bread

Almost all of those are either only easily available at Costco or are significantly cheaper / better selection at Costco.

I took you your advice and got the rye bread.  Although, not the white rye type I was hoping for it was some of the best store bought bread I've had here.  What are the dills like?  Are they the kind of dills that taste a bit sweet or full on Bicks or Strubb's crunchy dill taste?

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 12:19:15 pm »
Does Costco have turkeys? I looked on their website, but I think it only shows what you can have delivered.

I've been doing my Thanksgiving lessons this week and now I have a craving for roast turkey!

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 12:21:39 pm »
Does Costco have turkeys? I looked on their website, but I think it only shows what you can have delivered.

I've been doing my Thanksgiving lessons this week and now I have a craving for roast turkey!

I'm pretty sure I've seen small butterballs there in the past, but it was also once my regular source of Honey Nut Cheerios and packs of Quaker Instant Oatmeal so who knows if they're around this year. 

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 12:48:30 pm »

The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 01:25:50 pm »

NO TURKEY!?

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 01:27:55 pm »

Plain yogurt
Cheese
Grapefruit
Avocado
Whole small chickens
Olives
Dill pickles
황태
Wine
Rye bread

I took you your advice and got the rye bread.  Although, not the white rye type I was hoping for it was some of the best store bought bread I've had here.  What are the dills like?  Are they the kind of dills that taste a bit sweet or full on Bicks or Strubb's crunchy dill taste?

The rye bread by Shilla Bakery (assuming that's what you got, it's the only one at Costco) is - yeah, not the most amazing bread, but easily better than every other store bought bread I've found.

The dills are great. Uhhh. What's the brand. I think they're Nalley. Not sweet at all. Mad crunch. Very good. Lots of garlic at the bottom.

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 09:41:18 pm »
I don't think they have apple pie any more. Haven't seen them for well over a year. Although I wasn't really looking for it.
They still have pumpkin pies and will at least untill Thanksgiving. It will disappear after that.
They did have turkeys last week. It won't last long. Whatever they don't sell by Thanksgiving, it'll be heavily discounted to get rid of their stock.

The bakery products freeze well. Bag those croissants and toss them in the freezer. 1-2 minutes of defrosting in the microwave and a few minutes of oven time after that to make it nice and crispy. They are just like freshly baked ones and cost 750won/piece while franchise bakeries charge 1,700won or more for an inferior croissant.
Batteries are dirt cheap. Although you probably only need that much in a package if you have children and they have a bunch of toys that need batteries. Although recently the price went up. Now the sale price is the same as the regular price used to be. I still have a lot at home luckily.
Costco is also the best place to buy wine in Korea.

What I do is check some blogs to see what's on sale. I like to take advantage of the membership card and get as much discount as I can. There are ajummas that go to Costco every single week and take over a hundred pictures of all the different discounted products, and then upload them on their blogs. If I see at least a few things that I need, I go that week. Of course, I also pick up whatever else necessary, even if it's not on sale. But I make sure to get at least 10-15k discount every time. The more the better.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 08:38:01 am by Lazio »

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 07:54:19 am »
We had a Costco pumpkin pie on Saturday (early Thanksgiving party), with home-made whipped cream. No other pumpkin pie in Korea can compare, because it's the only one!

For a turkey we use delivery from Marriott. Arrives right on time. Pretty good; not too dry, easy to carve up.

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 05:26:33 pm »
I bought that Tommy Bahama robe and Calvin Klein sleep bottoms last year.  Definitely a sound investment.

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2019, 08:44:05 pm »
As of today, they still had turkeys at the Yangjae branch. Probably at others too. Price is down a lot so it's a good time to buy now. Currently 3470won/kg so a 6,5kg bird costs a grand total of 22,500won.

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 07:16:13 am »
I was at the Ilsan Costco last night and they still had turkeys. Same as above prices. Unfortunately, too big for my counter top oven :(