Read 3297 times

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
Went to a dentist for cosmetic work.

Eight cavities were found.

Which was surprising because when going for cleanings elsewhere I was told, "No problems; no cavities."

How did I get so many so quickly?

The cost is 2.45 million, none of which would be covered by insurance.

I was told if I paid up front and had the work done that day, I'd get a 10% discount.

It was towards the end of the day, so I was wondering how over two million worth of work could be done in such a short amount of time.

Recommend a good dentist, please; I'm gonna get a second opinion.

Re: What's a reasonable price for dental work? Where's a good place to go?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 02:00:11 pm »
I'm curious - where did you go?

Last winter I went to Global Dental clinic in Itaewon and I suddenly had 3 cavities. I know one was definitely there - I have a tooth that's been weak and odd since I was young, but I've always been good with my teeth. I wasn't really buying the other two. My teeth did get a bit wacky with the change in water here, but these days it's good. I'd like to find a different dentist too come winter for my next annual check.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 02:34:44 pm »

I was told if I paid up front and had the work done that day, I'd get a 10% discount.
They wanted to do fillings - I presume? Unless the decay was bad enough to necessitate root canal treatments in some of the teeth. Or crowns/implants, if it's really bad.

Sounds like a scam. I had all eight of my front teeth crowned for 2.8 million. Fillings would be considerably cheaper. Crowns go for about 400k - 600k each these days, and implants are about a million.

Reckon I'll have to make a trip to Thailand or India before long. Get me some of those all-on-four implants. Not cheap, though.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 02:54:00 pm »
Went to a dentist for cosmetic work.

Eight cavities were found.

Which was surprising because when going for cleanings elsewhere I was told, "No problems; no cavities."

How did I get so many so quickly?

It was towards the end of the day, so I was wondering how over two million worth of work could be done in such a short amount of time.

Recommend a good dentist, please; I'm gonna get a second opinion.

I'm convinced that there are almost no good dentists here. I've visited about eight different dental clinics here, ranging from small and local to fancy Gangnam ones, and they all have recommended unnecessary dental work. I've also never been able to find anyone that will do a proper cleaning here. That's why I only go to the dentist when I visit my home country, even though it's super expensive.

No advice for you, other than to try not to trust dentists here.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 03:34:46 pm »
Damn. Did a search. Got freaked out.

I went to a Korean dentist recommended by my CT for his honesty. Eight cavities he said. I got a second opinion in Ireland two months later. Zero cavities. Perfect oral health.
My experience and the experience of countless other expats: Korean dentists recommend treatments which are medically unnecessary and quote inflated prices regardless of necessity.

Same here. In Ireland my dentist told me everything was perfect during the checkup. Only a couple of months later I went for a deep cleaning here in Korea and amazingly they discovered eleven cavities!

My experience with Korean dentists has been TERRIBLE. Whether they speak English or not doesn't matter. A lot of them see any patient coming in as a walking credit card and nothing else. I went to one in Gangnam that had good recs on expat forums and it was a joke. They jack up their prices for foreigners, do crappy work, ignore your requests and come up with God knows what to be 'wrong' so they can 'fix' it for you.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 05:28:00 pm »
My wife practices dentistry here in Cheongju. Its a bit far but she wont cheat you and she speaks English quite well.

T.C.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90°S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 05:36:14 am »
Well, I had a Syrian dentist (refugee) do the same thing, he maxed out my annual insurance limit of 2500 Euros by giving me badly fitted unnecessary porcelain facings, now I can't eat any apples or spare ribs anymore... :cry:
incumbo studiis

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 07:47:23 am »
I've been to Boston Dental Clinic in Seoul around 4 or 5 times. Ive had a pretty good cleaning from them, X-ray checkup etc for around 30-60,000 and they have never once told me I had any cavities or other problems. A friend of mine also went there for invisilign and I don't think she had any problems. The only thing is they used to be open on Saturdays, but they aren't anymore.

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 05:27:34 am »
I always go to Boston Dental Clinic, downtown Seoul near line 1 Jonggak Station. I've been going there for years. Never had any overcharging/overdiagnosing. I'm lucky to have good teeth. But they found one cavity (the first in my life  :cry:) on a routine checkup a couple years ago. They filled it on the spot for W100,000 and I was out of there.

I have routine cleanings twice a year. One is covered under insurance (annual cleanings are covered by insurance), so W30,000. The other isn't, but they give it to me for 30,000, too. I do have a couple lower teeth that are a bit out of line and they always ask me if I want to get them fixed, but no high pressure sales.

www.bostonclinic.co .kr
E.mail : bostonclinic77@gmail.com
tel : 82-2-720-5673
Near line 1 Jonggak station. Exit 10 is the closest. Also line 2 Euljiro 2-ga. Website has details on how to get there.

• fka
  • Veteran

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 09:33:33 am »
I've been really happy with Seoul Columbia Dental clinic in Yeonhui-dong.

https://www.seoulcolumbia.com/blank

The dentist is US-trained and speaks very good English, and they deal with foreigners fairly regularly so the receptionist has enough functional English to get the job done. He was really transparent about different pricing options and the pros and cons of different fillings, crowns, etc. I also went to SNU Dental Hospital once and the service was great but they have some kind of unusual relationship with the NHIS, so it was more expensive than a regular clinic.

While I don't doubt that overdiagnosing and unnecessary dental work are rife in Korea, it's kind of a problem everywhere. There was an expose news segment some years ago about dentists in the UK performing all kinds of unnecessary work (I think they compared patients' diagnoses + dentists' recommendations against those of neutral experts), and years ago a British dentist did a sloppy job with some fillings on my teeth that I still think were probably unnecessary. Last time I went to a dentist in the US, she tried to sign me up to a $3,000 plan for crowns (that was my out-of-pocket expense, with insurance) before showing me any X-Rays or giving a detailed explanation. She got huffy when I questioned her, never showed me the X-Rays, then returned with a detailed treatment plan that I was instructed to take to reception. I then had to argue with the receptionist, who wouldn't let me just pay and leave, and kept trying to pin me to another appointment date. Also, the whole clinic absolutely stank of Taco Bell.