Read 5562 times

• dippedinblush
  • Veteran

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
Pride of Korea: I'm sick of it
« on: November 20, 2019, 10:02:38 pm »
I've finally gotten to the last chapter of our new 2nd grade book: Pride of Korea. 

I'm not against Koreans talking about their culture to anyone and informing them of it.  It just seems like in every grade starting in Elem. and continuing on to Middle School  (of all the textbooks I've taught-I've been here for 10 years) there is a chapter about telling (talking at) foreigners about Korea. I don't know whose idea it is to keep this shit up, but it's infuriating to teach.  Do you know about Gyeongbokgung? Korea has 4 seasons.  Do you know about Ulleungdo?  Etc.  At the end of the semester most Korean teachers ask the students to have a "writing test" about the wonders of Korea.

For me, that is quite strange, in the sense that most of them write the same project every year about landmarks/culture of Korea in English.   

There really isn't a back and forth of cultural exchange at all being taught.  They aren't curious about other cultures.  Just "let's get this info out about Korea".  There aren't any questions asked about another's culture, its a completely one-sided dialogue.

In Canada when I was taught French, we learned about other French-speaking countries like the Congo or Switzerland or Haiti and we were genuinely curious about learning about them and how to ask the right/normal questions in French about them.  In fact, a Swiss teacher came to our school and we couldn't ask him enough questions about himself, what he did, what he ate, what Switzerland was like etc...(all in French, and most questions were asked respectfully). 

Not so much in Korea, where all they wish to know is age/height/weight/married/unmarried...done.

I wish the English textbooks here could talk/introduce English speaking countries (other than Canada/USA/Aus/NZ) like Jamaica or Philippines or Barbados and learn about their culture instead of yet another chapter about promulgating Korean culture to Koreans/at foreigners. 

Its very weird.  Also weird that there aren't any actual native speakers governing the textbooks here.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 11:13:06 pm by dippedinblush »

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Pride of Korea: I'm sick of it
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 11:05:34 pm »
I agree and the other weird thing is Westerner teachers including Kpop pictures in their PowerPoints. It's undignified / cringey / pandering. Better to teach about Western culture. Especially since the text relies so heavily on teaching Korean culture.

• dippedinblush
  • Veteran

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 11:31:03 pm »
It's funny you should mention k-pop.
I told my co-teacher today that I didn't like it (but I liked a few songs, but I was mainly against the industry) , and she got very very pissed off at me and said I shouldn't say that to a Korean, because it's offensive.

I said, "but Mrs. Park, you told me you hate music: you told me you don't listen to it because you like natural sounds, so why do you care if I like/don't like K-pop" and she said "please don't mention this topic to me again, I feel you're being racist against Koreans".

SO I SHUT THE CONVO DOWN!

These are the types of illogical conversations I can't...I just can't understand.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 11:38:29 pm by dippedinblush »

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 06:46:31 am »
This sounds like the perfect opportunity to start playing death metal in your classroom.

If she says she doesn't like it:

i FeEl YoU'rE BeInG RaCisT AgAinSt AmErICaNs/BrITiSh/EuRoPeANs

Then she can say that you're in Korea now and to leave if you don't like it, and you'll have gone full circle.

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 07:16:02 am »
I told my co-teacher today that I didn't like it (but I liked a few songs, but I was mainly against the industry) , and she got very very pissed off at me and said I shouldn't say that to a Korean, because it's offensive.

I said, "but Mrs. Park, you told me you hate music: you told me you don't listen to it because you like natural sounds, so why do you care if I like/don't like K-pop" and she said "please don't mention this topic to me again, I feel you're being racist against Koreans".

These are the types of illogical conversations I can't...I just can't understand.

She shouldn't ask the question if she can't handle the answer. People like that need to get a life.

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 07:20:21 am »
All the Korea is great stuff in the coursebooks started to be introduced in the early part of the century when the Korean government was worried about the influence of US culture on Korean traditions.  It's also part of government guidelines that students should learn English to spread Korean culture. There are other guidelines like Korean kids should learn about other cultures through English that don't seem to be followed so thoroughly. I guess statements are easier to learn in English than questions so students are more likely to be comfortable saying things like 'Korea has 4 distinct seasons' than asking someone what kind of weather they have in their country.

I agree with LI about NETs teaching through K pop PPts. The theory is obviously that kids learn languages best through things that interest them but I think it's a bit defeatist to think kids can't be motivated by topics they don't know about.

Nets spend a lot of time being introduced to Korean culture during induction but do they have any classes on how to teach their own culture as well? That'd be more useful for the classroom. Finally in some of the higher level books there should be discussions on cultural awareness dealing with subjects such as if people from other nationalities don't like certain aspects of your culture, it's OK to feel a bit offended but pretty unproductive to demonstrate that offence.   
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:29:08 am by stoat »

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 07:27:08 am »

I mention in my 'all about me PPT' (My first class with a new group of students) That Kimchi is gross, Spitting on the street makes you like an animal and piles of trash on the street isn't taking pride in your country. I of course balance it out with things I like about Korea, but the point stands. I was hired to talk about my country and to show the students that other countries and cultures exist. Luckily most of my kids have knowledge of the outside world, but the brainwashing is crazy.

Regarding K-Pop, I had a funny moment in camp once. We watched a movie and there was a PG13 kiss scene, (Think animation, princess, disney type stuff) The teacher stopped the movie, said it wasn't appropriate, and then let the kids just watch K-Pop videos/dance videos. Yup, you guessed it. Sexy dancing, legs, chests, tums... When I said how inappropriate it was for kids to watch/dance to this, she accused me of having a dirty mind and it was part of 'Korean culture'. LOL get f*****.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 07:38:21 am »
I just find it funny that some people can't believe I don't like Kpop.

I'm a 34 year old Canadian man................... I'm the OPPOSITE demographic for this shit.

Also, Colburnnnn, how could you see these as sexual? You have a dirty mind.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:42:45 am by CO2 »
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 07:39:01 am »
I mention in my 'all about me PPT' (My first class with a new group of students) That Kimchi is gross, Spitting on the street makes you like an animal and piles of trash on the street isn't taking pride in your country. I of course balance it out with things I like about Korea, but the point stands. I was hired to talk about my country and to show the students that other countries and cultures exist. Luckily most of my kids have knowledge of the outside world, but the brainwashing is crazy.

I bet your students and coworkers love that class  :laugh:  Do you really do that?

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 07:45:42 am »
I think once you get out of the public school bubble Koreans have a different attitude to their culture. Teachers probably feel they have to keep the propaganda going for the students' education and probably feel the need to put on a good show for the NET. Korean adults care a lot less and it's rare to find anyone at that age who likes K pop or would give a crap if a foreigner didn't.

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 07:48:38 am »

I bet your students and coworkers love that class  :laugh:  Do you really do that?

Yeah, do you want the PPT? Lesson 3: 'Likes and Dislikes' - Being confident in voicing your opinion. (Variety is the spice of life)

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 07:51:31 am »
yeah, i wholeheartedly agree. the propaganda they pump out even at elementary school

DOKDO KOREAN
KOREAN SEASONS UNIQUE
KOREA FOOD BEST
JAPAN BAD
KPOP WORLD FAMOUS
KOREAN GENIUS LANGUAGE
ALL FOREIGNERS LOVE KOREA

christ. give it a ****** rest

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 07:55:21 am »

I can't imagine why his co-teacher thinks he might have issues... :rolleyes:

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 08:10:40 am »
There really isn't a back and forth of cultural exchange at all being taught.  They aren't curious about other cultures.  Just "let's get this info out about Korea".  There aren't any questions asked about another's culture, its a completely one-sided dialogue.

Its very weird. 
Not really. Korea is an export-driven country. It has to do whatever it can to export its cultural products and promote them (most notable Kpop). It has done somewhat well at this in terms of music. Other parts have more mixed results. The perception by the powers that be at least, has been that the average Korean is far more likely to use English in Korea to tell tourists/business people/soldiers certain things and to promote products.

like Jamaica or Philippines or Barbados
When you have a limited amount of time and are already dealing with 5 major nations and some minor ones, making time for Barbados would have dubious value. Every minute spent talking about Barbados is a minute not spent talking about a deeper aspect of life in the UK/USA/etc. to say nothing of English language and speaking opportunities for the kids. I mean, sure toss em in for some "English speaking countries of the world" project, but devoting large swaths of time? I think there's better ways to spend it. Also, to call the Philippines an "English country" is rather dismissive to the host of cultures of the people that inhabit that island, many of whose primary language is something other than English.

and she said "please don't mention this topic to me again, I feel you're being racist against Koreans".

Perhaps she's picking up on a certain acerbic attitude that she is interpreting as subtle/unconscious racism on your part?

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 08:12:07 am »
All the Korea is great stuff in the coursebooks started to be introduced in the early part of the century when the Korean government was worried about the influence of US culture on Korean traditions.  It's also part of government guidelines that students should learn English to spread Korean culture. There are other guidelines like Korean kids should learn about other cultures through English that don't seem to be followed so thoroughly. I guess statements are easier to learn in English than questions so students are more likely to be comfortable saying things like 'Korea has 4 distinct seasons' than asking someone what kind of weather they have in their country.

I agree with LI about NETs teaching through K pop PPts. The theory is obviously that kids learn languages best through things that interest them but I think it's a bit defeatist to think kids can't be motivated by topics they don't know about.

Nets spend a lot of time being introduced to Korean culture during induction but do they have any classes on how to teach their own culture as well? That'd be more useful for the classroom. Finally in some of the higher level books there should be discussions on cultural awareness dealing with subjects such as if people from other nationalities don't like certain aspects of your culture, it's OK to feel a bit offended but pretty unproductive to demonstrate that offence.   
Pretty much this, all 3 paragraphs.

EDIT- The cultural imbalance should also be noted. The average Korean has far more exposure to Western culture via film, music, tv, books, food, etc. than the average FOB/tourist westerner in Korea for the first time. Thus the Korean person would likely need to do far more introducing about their end than the westerner would of theirs.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 08:32:03 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 08:15:22 am »
To further the point that they teach almost nothing about other parts of the world in class, my husband is constantly stopping movies to ask me wtf is going on or what something means (not linguistically but just culturally). Lately on Netflix there has been this WW2 documentary advertised a lot, the last time it came up my husband was watching the preview and when it stopped he was like "we should watch that. I don't even know what WW2 was about". I asked if it was taught in school, even just the basic most important points and he said basically beyond anything that directly concerned Korea they didn't talk about it. He has also said that the most they learn about most other countries is where they are on the map.

To make matters worse, in class last week we were talking about currency and a kid asked my co "what currency do they use in Africa?". She couldn't answer and I'm not sure what she said back, but like Google was right next to you just look it up real quick. I feel like as a teacher you should never leave it at "idk who cares". And also for the 100th time Africa is not a country.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 08:18:04 am »
yeah, i wholeheartedly agree. the propaganda they pump out even at elementary school

DOKDO KOREAN
KOREAN SEASONS UNIQUE
KOREA FOOD BEST
JAPAN BAD
KPOP WORLD FAMOUS
KOREAN GENIUS LANGUAGE
ALL FOREIGNERS LOVE KOREA

christ. give it a ****** rest

We had the school festival this week, and it was sponsored by some boycott Japan group.
Funnily enough, there were Japanese prizes (Pokemon plush toys) and even saw some pocky - not pepero, pocky.
Some of the other students asked me about boycotting Japan with Korea. I said: A lot of video games I like come from Japan, infact, I just bought the new Pokemon game; cue a bunch of "F!#@ Japan!" from the students before they storm off haha.
The boycott Japan thing is starting to get annoying.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 08:20:52 am »
I am all for being proud of your country (not so proud of mine at the moment   :P ) but I just wish Koreans would be a bit more humble when they do something good.  I will never forget when Kim Yuna was in her heyday, Koreans almost made a Goddess out of her. Sure she was great but was it necessary to go so overboard with it.  Then same as has been said, the crazy praise of Korean culture, KPop, kimchi etc etc really gets up my nose. 

When Kim Yuna lost her event to a Russian, I think, they went nuts and accused everyone of cheating. Absolutely insane.

Sure Korea and Koreans do many great things, but is it necessary to rub everyone's noses in it forever?
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 08:26:36 am »

Its very weird. 
Not really. Korea is an export-driven country. It has to do whatever it can to export its cultural products and promote them (most notable Kpop). It has done somewhat well at this in terms of music. Other parts have more mixed results. The perception by the powers that be at least, has been that the average Korean is far more likely to use English in Korea to tell tourists/business people/soldiers certain things and to promote products.

like Jamaica or Philippines or Barbados
When you have a limited amount of time and are already dealing with 5 major nations and some minor ones, making time for Barbados would have dubious value. Every minute spent talking about Barbados is a minute not spent talking about a deeper aspect of life in the UK/USA/etc. to say nothing of English language and speaking opportunities for the kids. I mean, sure toss em in for some "English speaking countries of the world" project, but devoting large swaths of time? I think there's better ways to spend it. Also, to call the Philippines an "English country" is rather dismissive to the host of cultures of the people that inhabit that island, many of whose primary language is something other than English.

DM are you a teacher or an educator? No one is suggesting large swaths of time devoted to those smaller countries but as an educator (if that is what you see yourself as) how can you possibly think that exposing kids to other cultures, other than the English speaking countries, is a waste of time. I don't get it.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 08:33:20 am »
I will never forget when Kim Yuna was in her heyday, Koreans almost made a Goddess out of her.
The worst part was that people acted as if she was a household name.

You care about sports? Sure. You care about figure skating? Sure.

But they acted like if I went in to a truck stop in Oklahoma, that all the dudes in there would know who she was.

"She is a global superstar."

No. They made it sound like she was on an Oprah/Michelle Obama level. She isn't.

She worked hard, she's very talented and she brought home the gold. That's amazing. But no, Dale from Wisconsin who runs the local bingo hall, he doesn't know who she is. 
The joys of fauxtherhood