Read 495 times

Mock lesson. What to expect.
« on: November 20, 2019, 05:03:18 pm »
I have an interview with a private elementary school. Sounds like a decent gig, aside from a long commute.

This is the first time in all my years that I'll be required to give a demo lesson.

They sent me 6 pages from a textbook that I'm already fairly familiar with and a lesson plan page to fill out. They also told me the age group I'm to teach(although, it's adults pretending to be 5th and 6th grade students). This all seems standard.
What I don't have is any info as to what resources are available to me. Or the Size of classroom or number of students. I don't know if I should make handouts or not. Apparently there is power point and projector available...but I don't want to be fumbling around with technical issues with a computer that is not mine.

Are demo lessons really that effective in judging the abilities of a teacher?  I find the idea of teaching adults(hell could be just one adult in the class....no idea) but pretending they are children quite a ridiculous scenario. And telling me the age group isn't much help anyway...what I would need to know is the ability level of the students. Very different things.

Give me a class of kids and let me teach them while you observe...no problem. Teach a pretend class to adults pretending to be kids who can't easily follow the lesson...seems pointless to me.

Any pointers/info from those who have already jumped through these hoops would be much appreciated. Please pass on your knowledge.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
Re: Mock lesson. What to expect.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 06:05:39 pm »
I have no clue as to who or what but I can answer the why: mock lessons are sometimes asked of you if the school has concerns about the pedagogical qualities of the candidates. I had to do one when I had just started out teaching within my 3rd month of teaching back home in Europe, without accreditation. In your case it might just be a standard procedure because ESL teachers might not have a formal BA or MA in Ed.

What they expect:

lessonplan
room
teacher
class
Lesson goal/aims

time- activity- teacher- student-materials needed

example: https://www.really-learn-english.com/image-files/daily-lesson-plan-template-big.jpg

https://resustrainingsunshinecoast.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/defibrillation-lesson-plan1.jpg

You could have a 6-stages lesson methodology (but there are many other options) which starts with:

0 min. What did we do last time? What do you still remember from that class?

5 min. Authentic exposure (video/picture/text)
5 min. Teacher instruction (What did you notice? How would you say this or that? What else did you see in the pic?
2 min. Explanation of lesson aims: At the end of the lesson you can...
5 min. Guided Activity (Teacher and students do activity together) Show them how to do it.
20 min. Independent Activity (Students work alone, teacher walks around and helps)
10 min. evaluation of learning outcomes: Check what they know/have learnt/ are the answers correct?
5 min. Asking questions to students what they liked about this class. What could they have done better, does any one have ideas for next class? (How was it? )
5 min. Summarising lesson content and telling them what you will do next class. 

This would be given out to the people observing your class only, for the students you would have this either on the board or on your screen and each stage you refer back to it. In especially difficult classes you can use it to indicate desired volume levels as well per stage. At the bottom of the printed out lesson plan you could add references as well if you wish to impress them with your research background, such as Krashen/Hillocks/O'Grady/Pienemann/Piaget etc.
incumbo studiis

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 08:40:50 pm »
well, email/call them and ask them the age, level, expectations, number of students, etc before the mock lesson.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 09:09:48 pm »
well, email/call them and ask them the age, level, expectations, number of students, etc before the mock lesson.

This would be the first step.  If they are not forthcoming, then just prepare handouts yourself, bring your own laptop with PPT or AV on it, also have a USB with this on too.  Then if you turn up and they have more than you expected then it doesn't matter.  Always prepare for the worst.  I'd always prepare for them to have squat, and end up being surprised.  Like Cohort mentioned too, have a decent lesson structure with greeting, lead in,  move towards main task/conversation with simple instructions so they know what they're doing, then the main task/conversation with monitoring, then checking by feedback and if time a further activity IF needed.  Done.  Don't worry too much, but just make sure you prepare things.  I'd always have pictures for my lead in printed off, just in case there was some catastrophic power cut or something.