Read 2003 times

Re: Life in Korea after teaching
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 03:07:51 pm »
Tunacookie. You learned how to program in under a year and are now working in your field remotely?if so, that is incredibly impressive.

Yeah I took a bootcamp course, took about 16 weeks in total to finish. Got hired pretty much straight away. There's that many unfilled programming jobs out there. That said there's not that many junior remote roles. I've been working in the field for about a year now so I guess my company trusts me to do my job while not being in the office. Of course there's also freelance web development jobs out there if you got the skills.

Would love to find out more info about the bootcamp. Mind if i dm you?

Yeah sure, no worries.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 03:15:39 pm »
And could you post information publicly so we all can learn?

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2019, 04:50:04 pm »
what bootcamp was rhis?

You could learn IT. Digital nomadism is on the rise. I taught here for 8 years, left at the start of last year with my Korean Fiance as I was sick of teaching. Learnt to Program, got a job in a company. Me and the then Fiance now wife decided we wanted to move back to Korea, so I broached the topic with my company of letting me work remotely. They agreed, so now I'm back living here working remotely from my apartment for a foreign IT company. All the niceties of living in Korea without the teaching part, and doing a job I actually really enjoy!

• T_Rex
  • Adventurer

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2019, 04:21:49 am »
Tunacookie. You learned how to program in under a year and are now working in your field remotely?if so, that is incredibly impressive.
It's actually quite doable. I'll finish a coding boot camp course soon and have already been offered a job.

Returning to Korea or somewhere else in Asia and working remotely sounds appealing.
What progamming language are people learning these days?
A lot of the people I meet here are learning either Java or C#.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2019, 07:03:20 pm »
Life in Korea after teaching?

I have to exit the country no more than 30 days after teaching my last class.

After 17 straight years of living here, that is still the situation I'm in. (If only I'd shacked up with and tied the knot with a korean woman.)

Don't worry. not everyone is the marrying kind.

But view this as a wake-up call.

1. Get a D10.
2. Find a new job (yes they are ageist but the market may be improving, impression is fewer recruits choosing to come here).
3. Find nice K-woman and tie the knot.
4. Open that restaurant you've been thinking of.
Catch my drift?