Read 3691 times

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
Re: Should I stay or should I go?
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2019, 08:09:15 am »
Thanks for all the advice everyone!  I've decided not to renew.  I've been here long enough, behaving the way I've behaved, and after seeing the recent headline made by a fellow American English teacher, let's just say I'm choosing a good time to leave now. 

I think a bigger push for getting me to go was the drinking culture here.  Once again not blaming Korea but it seems a little unfair that we as foreigners get heavy scrutinized for behavior that locals do as well.  I realized my lifestyle, WHILE IT HAS BEEN FUN, in the long run is not going to be good for me.  So rather than stay another year and unfairly have they SO wait for me on this long game of tag along, I will go back to the states now and join them to get started on our future together.  I've known this person for 4 years now.  One and half of it was spent living together while here in Korea.  I have met their family and my family know him.  We are good for each other.  So it's best I get started on this future now. 

Plus, hearing the news of people my age dying for heart attacks and what not I realize I might not have all the time in the world either.  Thanks guys for all your great advice.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2019, 08:18:35 am »
Best of luck with the transition Piggydee.

What was the headline of the american teacher though??

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2019, 08:23:04 am »

The story about the woman being saved from sexual assault? The headline writers had a tricky decision there, whether to lead with k pop star or American English teacher. K pop great or foreigners bad. Tough choice. I think k pop won the battle of the headline but they made up for it by mentioning the American guy's job and nationalty throughout the story.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 08:25:49 am by stoat »

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2019, 08:28:14 am »

The story about the woman being saved from sexual assault? The headline writers had a tricky decision there, whether to lead with k pop star or American English teacher. K pop great or foreigners bad. Tough choice. I think k pop won the battle of the headline but they made up for it by mentioning the American guy's job and nationalty throughout the story.

Korea times? Herald? link?

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2019, 08:40:36 am »

I saw it here - https://www.allkpop.com/article/2019/11/singer-atone-helps-thwart-sexual-assault

Just seems like a drunk foreigner.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2019, 08:45:23 am »

I saw it here - https://www.allkpop.com/article/2019/11/singer-atone-helps-thwart-sexual-assault

Yes, a drunk foreigner that was trying to take a Korean girl home.  I bet he's having a fun Monday right now....

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2019, 08:46:34 am »
Thanks for all the advice everyone!  I've decided not to renew.  I've been here long enough, behaving the way I've behaved, and after seeing the recent headline made by a fellow American English teacher, let's just say I'm choosing a good time to leave now. 

I think a bigger push for getting me to go was the drinking culture here.  Once again not blaming Korea but it seems a little unfair that we as foreigners get heavy scrutinized for behavior that locals do as well.  I realized my lifestyle, WHILE IT HAS BEEN FUN, in the long run is not going to be good for me.  So rather than stay another year and unfairly have they SO wait for me on this long game of tag along, I will go back to the states now and join them to get started on our future together.  I've known this person for 4 years now.  One and half of it was spent living together while here in Korea.  I have met their family and my family know him.  We are good for each other.  So it's best I get started on this future now. 

Plus, hearing the news of people my age dying for heart attacks and what not I realize I might not have all the time in the world either.  Thanks guys for all your great advice.

Congrats on making the decision! It seems like definitely the right choice for you from what you've said.

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2019, 08:54:28 am »

Me too, though I should add that it was through Reddit, I'm not a regular visitor to allkpop. com

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2019, 09:02:47 am »
i read that reddit link. christ, that thread is complete shitshow. someone link it!

• T_Rex
  • Adventurer

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2019, 10:38:11 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnZ8I6qLIR0

But there's no footage of what happened before the three Korean men intervened.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2019, 10:57:42 am »
Economize, compromise but never settle...

« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2019, 12:10:20 pm »

Well that certainly makes up for the multiple kpop/tv/movie stars recently convicted of massive numbers of rapes! Foreigners bad!
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2019, 12:13:43 pm »
NZ was meant to have come to an agreement about pension stuff way back at the start of the year, but I haven't heard anything new about it since then. D:

Hmm I mentioned to my wife that when I'm 65 I should try and get my US pension on top of my NZ pension, but she said that NZ would probably just reduce their pension payout or heavily tax the US payout. I wonder if an NZ citizen (like my wife) withdrawing their Korean pension would affect this too? Fortunately I got my Korean payout as a US citizen before moving to NZ, but as a NZ citizen she couldn't get hers and it's just sitting in Korea.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2019, 12:15:20 pm »
Yep when news like this makes the headlines, I can't help but think of the repercussions this has with how are students will treat us in the classroom.  "Excuse me, student A you will show your teachers respect in the classroom." 
Student A:  Why!?  You people are nothing but a bunch of drunkards. 

Seriously sometimes when I get repeated, continual, disrespectful behavior from students, especially my older students (6th graders) I can't help but think it's because they have no respect for us based on what they may have heard from their parents or seen on the news.   

This latest headline has certainly done us no favors.   

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2019, 12:26:47 pm »
NZ was meant to have come to an agreement about pension stuff way back at the start of the year, but I haven't heard anything new about it since then. D:

Hmm I mentioned to my wife that when I'm 65 I should try and get my US pension on top of my NZ pension, but she said that NZ would probably just reduce their pension payout or heavily tax the US payout. I wonder if an NZ citizen (like my wife) withdrawing their Korean pension would affect this too? Fortunately I got my Korean payout as a US citizen before moving to NZ, but as a NZ citizen she couldn't get hers and it's just sitting in Korea.

I read, that at the end of last year, around Dec sometime, the NZ prime minister met the Korean president, and they talked about being long standing friends and that they both have their citizens living in the others country, but no way to claim pension if and when they leave, so they agreed to allow it to be easily transferred back to their people's home country (Koreans in NZ being able to send it back to Korea, and kiwis in Korea being able to to send pension back to NZ) and that the agreement was meant to start in the first half of this year. But, I never heard anything new about it, and nothing has been updated to reflect that NZ people can get their pension here. D:

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2019, 12:27:53 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnZ8I6qLIR0

But there's no footage of what happened before the three Korean men intervened.

Yeah... still waiting for proof. So far? Nada. Zilch. Nothing.

But foreigners bad, it was on the news so must be true.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2019, 12:41:48 pm »

I read, that at the end of last year, around Dec sometime, the NZ prime minister met the Korean president, and they talked about being long standing friends and that they both have their citizens living in the others country, but no way to claim pension if and when they leave, so they agreed to allow it to be easily transferred back to their people's home country (Koreans in NZ being able to send it back to Korea, and kiwis in Korea being able to to send pension back to NZ) and that the agreement was meant to start in the first half of this year. But, I never heard anything new about it, and nothing has been updated to reflect that NZ people can get their pension here. D:

They signed it last month. The NZ-South Korea Social Security agreement. Unfortunately it's not a whole lot of use, unless you are planning to spend 20 years or more working here. It makes it so that time worked in Korea can be counted towards your NZ pension. As it stands I think you need to have 20 years minimum working in NZ to be eligible for a full pension. Now the years you work here will be counted towards that total. And same for Koreans in NZ. We still don't get any lump sum, though if you work more than 10 years in Korea you are able to move back here at 65 (as long as you have the appropriate visa) and claim your monthly pension, which will be bugger all, because it wont be a fully worked careers worth of payments owed to you. It seems like it would benefit a very small number of people.

And yes MayorHaggar, your wife is right, you can't get a pension on top of another one. If your US pension is more than the NZ pension, the NZ government won't pay you anymore. If it's less, they will top you up to what it would have been, had you been drawing the NZ pension.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2019, 12:47:53 pm »
Yep when news like this makes the headlines, I can't help but think of the repercussions this has with how are students will treat us in the classroom.  "Excuse me, student A you will show your teachers respect in the classroom." 
Student A:  Why!?  You people are nothing but a bunch of drunkards. 

Seriously sometimes when I get repeated, continual, disrespectful behavior from students, especially my older students (6th graders) I can't help but think it's because they have no respect for us based on what they may have heard from their parents or seen on the news.   

This latest headline has certainly done us no favors.   

It doesn't just seem to be foreigners, mind.  The recent deaths of Sulli and Goo Hara have shone the light of the disgraceful state of the K-Pop industry and women.

“Some female idols have been ostracised for not smiling in a television show and reading a book about feminism that contradicts male-dominated, patriarchal South Korean society,”

Sulli was the target of online abuse for not wearing a bra, for live-streaming an innocent night out drinking with a friend, for addressing older male colleagues by their first names and – her most egregious “crime”, it seems – for describing herself as a feminist.

“South Korean society is holding on to the idea that men must be respected and women are not deserving of respect, or at least not much,”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/02/deaths-of-k-pop-stars-put-focus-on-mental-health-taboos-in-south-korea

All totally messed up, and in line with 'we need to blame someone', women and foreigners being the easy target. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:49:43 pm by Ronnie Omelettes »

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2019, 12:54:47 pm »
Well they did show the cctv of ATONE coming out of his apartment, but from what I read, ATONE yelled at the wayg to stop manhandling the girl and then he ran down stairs to help get that girl away from this sob.  So honestly I do believe it.  Plus you can see the guy clearly stumbling around just to throw a soft punch.  Clearly he looks like he's had 5 too plenty.  Sorry he maybe American but he's not cut from my cloth.   

Plus I believe this was an act of aggression on the foreigner's part against this Korean girl.  I've had to break up a situation when I saw a Korean girl being dragged by her arms by what I can only assume was an Arab guy (he didn't read S.E. Asian but who knows)  I grabbed the Korean girl and yelled 'HEY YOU TREAT YOUR MOTHER LIKE THAT MF'ER!!!"   He said "She's my girlfriend."  I said you treat her with respect!!! He let her go and she said "He's may boyfriend," and I released her off to her bad decision.  They quiet walked away and got into a taxi. 
So it's not too far fetched to me to think that  SOME foreign men feel a sense of entitlement to the women here.
Like most toxic masculinity world wide, women owe men their lives to them.   :rolleyes:

Sadly, this has made headlines.  So yeah foreigner=bad but I also know of a Korean bar owner in a certain popular foreigner district that was caught on tape sexually assaulting a woman and was later arrested.....but hey can't talk about that because....liable, even though there was VIDEO PROOF SHARED ON SOCIAL MEDIA.  BUT yeah that's none of our business. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2019, 01:22:19 pm »

They signed it last month. The NZ-South Korea Social Security agreement. Unfortunately it's not a whole lot of use, unless you are planning to spend 20 years or more working here. It makes it so that time worked in Korea can be counted towards your NZ pension. As it stands I think you need to have 20 years minimum working in NZ to be eligible for a full pension. Now the years you work here will be counted towards that total. And same for Koreans in NZ. We still don't get any lump sum, though if you work more than 10 years in Korea you are able to move back here at 65 (as long as you have the appropriate visa) and claim your monthly pension, which will be bugger all, because it wont be a fully worked careers worth of payments owed to you. It seems like it would benefit a very small number of people.

And yes MayorHaggar, your wife is right, you can't get a pension on top of another one. If your US pension is more than the NZ pension, the NZ government won't pay you anymore. If it's less, they will top you up to what it would have been, had you been drawing the NZ pension.

Ahh, at least it counts towards the years worked thing for NZ. As, with my time spent in Korea, would take me to 15/20 years worked for pension. :P