Read 7419 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Should I stay or should I go?
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2019, 11:30:21 pm »
^ what kind of job are you doing now, eastcoat?

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2019, 09:27:40 am »
sizeist...that's a new one for me. Does this apply  to adult film stars?

Piggydee, I generally don't agree with anything you say here, but go. You are expressing thoughts about it therefore it's time. Another year won't do anything but put a little money in the bank and who cares. Seriously, people who are driven by money are the least happy and content people I have ever met.

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2019, 04:14:32 am »
Exactly, am I getting friend-zoned online Piggydee? Even after my most Mr. Darcy like proposal?  :cry:
incumbo studiis

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2019, 09:42:28 am »
I'm sure this has already been answered but how soon do you get your pension money once you leave Korea?  Also let's say your paycheck is every 17th of the month and February is your last month when do you get the pay for February?  Is it on the last day of your employment at your school or is put into your bank account on the following 17th (March 17th) as per usual?  I think this might be a problem as one might need to close off their Korean bank account. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 09:52:36 am by Piggydee »

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2019, 11:14:04 am »
I'm sure this has already been answered but how soon do you get your pension money once you leave Korea?  Also let's say your paycheck is every 17th of the month and February is your last month when do you get the pay for February?  Is it on the last day of your employment at your school or is put into your bank account on the following 17th (March 17th) as per usual?  I think this might be a problem as one might need to close off their Korean bank account. 

I went to the pension office and filled out the appropriate paperwork with a bank account number, name of bank and the SWIFT code. They deposited it in the bank without hassle.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2019, 11:42:36 am »
Also let's say your paycheck is every 17th of the month and February is your last month when do you get the pay for February?  Is it on the last day of your employment at your school or is put into your bank account on the following 17th (March 17th) as per usual?  I think this might be a problem as one might need to close off their Korean bank account. 

You get paid the following month for the previous month's work?  Usually one gets paid on the 17th for the entire current month.  As in February's pay comes on February 17th.  I've never heard of anyone being paid the following month for the previous month at a public school. 

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2019, 11:57:57 am »
Also let's say your paycheck is every 17th of the month and February is your last month when do you get the pay for February?  Is it on the last day of your employment at your school or is put into your bank account on the following 17th (March 17th) as per usual?  I think this might be a problem as one might need to close off their Korean bank account. 

You get paid the following month for the previous month's work?  Usually one gets paid on the 17th for the entire current month.  As in February's pay comes on February 17th.  I've never heard of anyone being paid the following month for the previous month at a public school. 

Well I have get paid every 17th of the month.  My school wants me to keep working till Feb. 28th because they are having their winter camp later.  Yeah I know that schedule sucks but what can I do?  If I'm under contract till the 28th and my school still wants me to perform then I'm going to do that.  I don't want to justify an 11th month firing.  I'm just wondering if anyone here has been in my situation where they get paid middle of the month and still had to work a remaining 2 weeks.  Was that money given to you on your last day or was it just direct deposited into your US bank account on the day you usually get paid the following month. 

As for the pension how long did it take to show up in your US bank account.  The normal business days (3-5days) or faster? 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2019, 11:58:14 am »
got a letter from the pension office recently, telling me how much i've "invested". a nice 12m won that i'll never get back

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2019, 12:05:03 pm »
got a letter from the pension office recently, telling me how much i've "invested". a nice 12m won that i'll never get back

Why wouldn't you get that back? 

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2019, 12:05:11 pm »

:laugh:

Lucky chav bastard!  Mine says 26 million, I'll never see. 

:cry: :cry: :cry:

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2019, 12:06:49 pm »

Oglop's flakka addiction means he won't make it to 63 years old. 

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2019, 12:07:13 pm »

That stinks. Those who can't collect should have the option of not paying in.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2019, 12:08:17 pm »

Home country doesn't have a tax agreement with Korea.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2019, 12:11:30 pm »
NZ was meant to have come to an agreement about pension stuff way back at the start of the year, but I haven't heard anything new about it since then. D:

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2019, 12:13:45 pm »

You know I was wondering about that...  How does that work that we would still get money by the time we were in our 60s?  I saw that too but I don't plan on coming back if I chose to leave this February.  How would we get that money?  Wait to claim it till then ?

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2019, 02:11:42 pm »

Well I have get paid every 17th of the month.  My school wants me to keep working till Feb. 28th because they are having their winter camp later.  Yeah I know that schedule sucks but what can I do?  If I'm under contract till the 28th and my school still wants me to perform then I'm going to do that.  I don't want to justify an 11th month firing.  I'm just wondering if anyone here has been in my situation where they get paid middle of the month and still had to work a remaining 2 weeks.  Was that money given to you on your last day or was it just direct deposited into your US bank account on the day you usually get paid the following month. 

As for the pension how long did it take to show up in your US bank account.  The normal business days (3-5days) or faster? 

Aren't most public school teachers paid on the 17th or 25th for the entire month?  I am paid on the 17th and the pay on November 17th was for the entire month of November.  You're paid in advance for a couple of weeks.  They don't pay you up until the 17th unless your school has an arrangement I've never heard of.  One would normally be paid on February 17th for the entire month of February so you wouldn't be owed anything in regards to regular pay on the 28th.  At the end of the month they'd just have to pay out your severance and security deposit. 

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2019, 03:23:36 pm »

Aren't most public school teachers paid on the 17th or 25th for the entire month?  I am paid on the 17th and the pay on November 17th was for the entire month of November.  You're paid in advance for a couple of weeks.  They don't pay you up until the 17th unless your school has an arrangement I've never heard of.  One would normally be paid on February 17th for the entire month of February so you wouldn't be owed anything in regards to regular pay on the 28th.  At the end of the month they'd just have to pay out your severance and security deposit

Aren't most public school teachers paid on the 17th or 25th for the entire month?  I am paid on the 17th and the pay on November 17th was for the entire month of November.  You're paid in advance for a couple of weeks.  They don't pay you up until the 17th unless your school has an arrangement I've never heard of.  One would normally be paid on February 17th for the entire month of February so you wouldn't be owed anything in regards to regular pay on the 28th.  At the end of the month they'd just have to pay out your severance and security deposit. 

Exactly...
We are paid 12 times a year...once a month on the 17th..We are paid in advance from the 17th to the 31st.
There will be no extra pay for the work done between the 17th and 29th of February.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2019, 03:30:45 pm »
I just talked with my co-teacher and she said that the 17th counts as all of February despite still working the last two weeks.  So yeah it's all included.  Just wondering.  Thank everyone.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2019, 03:42:34 pm »

It should be possible to get back at 63, but you will have to set up an arrangement here with the money being signed for by your representative (hire a lawyer to do this) then being paid into your account every month.
Catch my drift?

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2019, 03:57:44 pm »
I've been here for a total of 10 years and I'm debating wither to stay or go.

I wanted to make next year my last year (2020-2021) because
-I wanted to see my current 5th graders graduate from school. (They will be 6th graders next year and I'm the only teacher they have had since 1st grade)
-I wanted to get more pension money
-I wanted to get more severance.
-I have two more countries I want to go to while I'm here and making great cash.  Once in America and back in  a hometown I'm from, I don't see myself traveling anytime soon.

I realize I can't stay in Korea forever because renewing my visa every year is becoming a pain, I'm getting older, and I'm not married to anyone here in his country so there is no reason for me to plant roots here. 

Unlike a few foreigners I've ran into, I love my time here in Korea (a little too much; I guess I tick off one of the boxes on that hakwon blacklist of teacher "here for fun" teacher  :P)   

I don't know I'm sort of leaning towards leaving this February because
-I think my lower level student 4th and 3rd grade at my main are sick of me.
-My travel school the 6th graders every year turn terrible. (but I only see them once a week)
-My travel school will get a new co-teacher and I don't know if we will have a good working relationship like I have with my current co-teacher.

If you were in my pants LOL j/k what would you do.  Asking the for the sage advice of the Waygook community because you guys have given me good travel tidbits.  Might as well ask about this here. 

So did you decide to leave?

I have some  observations.

You seem independent, like you're happy on your own. You don't really need a partner, but you also worry about the future a bit and settling down would add some security to your life. Remember there are all sorts of people you could get with, anytime, anywhere so if you make up your mind to find your life partner, then you can succeed. I mean you will have to go for it though. I'm similar to you. Very content being single, to the point that I'm not pro-active about finding someone.

Long distance relationships can be deceptive. You pine away for each other and love hearing from each other online. But when you reunite then after 2 weeks you can see those minor points of disparity and also miss your independence. Hm.. if you already know your partner very well and have history together then I'd say go back and make it work. However if the person is new or has not played that big a part in your life then don't be afraid to stay in Korea and keep going. You could meet a Korean guy and open your own hogwon or whatever. I know Korea is ageist, they think you are good for nothing the moment you hit 40. And I agree they probably look at foreign women worse than they do men. Although there must be ways to make a living in Korea apart from teaching, if you are resident. i mean something online, or online tutoring. But if you want to keep travelling and teaching, why not keep moving to Vietnam or China?

Catch my drift?