Read 2601 times

Book recommendations for EFL elementary students
« on: November 15, 2019, 03:28:47 pm »
My ct wants me to recommend story books for the 5th and 6th grade students. But everything I can think of content wise, is going to be too difficult for almost all of them. And I feel like picture books are at their reading level but sort of juvenile.
Any recommendations? Or links to other posts/websites with a list for low level EFL kids in upper elementary?

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Book recommendations for EFL elementary students
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 12:38:14 pm »
If you do a google search for reading books for beginner (or whatever level your students are) ESL or ELF, you should be able to find loads of lists.

• MilaFish
  • Newgookin

• November 19, 2019, 07:12:23 pm
    • Tampa, Florida
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 08:07:22 pm »
My ct wants me to recommend story books for the 5th and 6th grade students. But everything I can think of content wise, is going to be too difficult for almost all of them. And I feel like picture books are at their reading level but sort of juvenile.
Any recommendations? Or links to other posts/websites with a list for low level EFL kids in upper elementary?
Hey. I understand that I was late with the answer, but maybe it will be useful to someone else? For beginners, I recommend searching Google for children's fairy tales in English. For example, the translation of fairy tales about Andersen, the little prince and so on. There are no complicated terms, and all incomprehensible words can be found in the dictionary. I myself began to intensively learn English after reading various blogs, such as https://blog.noplag.com/ since there is useful information about education and study in general. The Internet also recommends reading Harry Potter into the original. Although it is more complicated than fairy tales, it seems much more interesting, prompting you to search for unfamiliar words.

• Josh123
  • Newgookin

• January 09, 2020, 09:31:05 pm
    • LA
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 09:34:33 pm »
Speakout is by far the most effective book I have actually ever made use of  also with https://subjecto.com/category/flashcards/. It's more tailored in the direction of young adults though. It has really interesting web content as well as a variety of fascinating real-world subjects. It's focused on discussion, which a few other textbooks lack, but additionally focuses on listening, reading, and also composing. One thing I like concerning it is that it doesn't do the trick that many various other books do where they present some imaginary characters that nobody cares about, all of the content applies to the pupils' lives.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 01:51:48 pm »
Speakout is by far the most effective book I have actually ever made use of  also with https://subjecto.com/category/flashcards/. It's more tailored in the direction of young adults though. It has really interesting web content as well as a variety of fascinating real-world subjects. It's focused on discussion, which a few other textbooks lack, but additionally focuses on listening, reading, and also composing. One thing I like concerning it is that it doesn't do the trick that many various other books do where they present some imaginary characters that nobody cares about, all of the content applies to the pupils' lives.
speakout is my favourite ESL book too. but maybe not for elementary school students ;)

• Joshuaflo
  • Waygookin

• August 23, 2012, 05:51:39 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 09:17:11 am »
I've been asked to do something similar next year, but just for 6th grade. I'm considering the Magic Treehouse series. Hopefully it's the right level of challenge.