Read 1176 times

• me657
  • Explorer

• November 11, 2019, 01:13:11 am
    • Ilsan
This is a continuation of "Being asked to resign".
I started this job in June of this year. Throughout the duration of my teaching period, things were strange between the director and I. He'd micromanage me, express disapproval over everything I did, and would repeatedly compare me to another teacher who had 5 years of experience under her belt. My first written warning was issued one month later, where he expressed it was because my classes were disorganized. I said I would try harder. Three months go by, and I do everything to a T. I'm given an insurmountable workload, and I don't complain. Then one day, on the fifth month, the head teacher calls me into her office. She says the director is thinking about issuing me a second warning. I ask why. She says it's because I forgot you change a letter on a student's handbook from a lower case to an upper case. She then says a parent complained my classes were boring.

A few days pass, no letter is issued.

Then, I'm called in again.

She tells me to start looking for another job. I asked if I'm being fired. She says no. Rather than fire me, she says the director's giving me a chance to resign. No second or third letter. (Which, btw, would be unjustified).

I decide to take the LOR, because that's less messy. However, the director now wants me to pay back the flight and the housing. I tell the head teacher that that's ridiculous. She says that's what the contract says if I quit early. I tell her, "I'm not quitting by choice. You told me that if I didn't quit he was going to issue false warnings to fire me anyway." She says I could stay if I want. This contradicts everything, considering the director is already happily searching for a replacement and clearly wants me gone. I'm seriously at a loss.

I received no second or third warning, not even thirty-days to find a replacement job, and instead have been given barely three weeks and a looming threat of unwarranted termination if I don't resign of my own freewill. My LOR or staying where I'm not wanted.

So what should I do?

Should I get this LOR, pay the director, and be on my merry way?

Or should I try and fight this weird, under the table firing?

Re: Should I pursue legal action or should I just get my LOR and run?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 02:06:59 pm »
I'd advise you to consult an actual labor lawyer first. Suing your employer probably isn't going to be worth it to you, financially speaking, but that doesn't mean you don't have other ways of fighting back.

Refuse to resign under the conditions they're laying out for you. They're being completely unreasonable, and they're assholes for it. They're basically trying to use the LOR as a bargaining chip to screw you over even more than they already have. You don't have to make that easy for them. If they want to get rid of you on those terms, then they'll have to fire you illegally. If they do that, you can file a case against them with the MOEL. Most shady hagwons assume you don't know your own rights, and most never think you'll go to the MOEL, either. They never expect to deal with the MOEL until they do.

I hope you've been recording all of your discussions with them. If you haven't, you need to start.

There are a couple of legal advise boards where you can ask about what your rights and options are. I'll send you a PM with the details. Your best bet is to start by posting your questions there. Until then, don't sign or agree to anything. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 02:20:44 pm by Chinguetti »

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 02:57:43 pm »
This sounds like a job for the Labor Board!  And based on new articles and those who I've personally have known who sued their own crooked bosses and WON, I say these days the law is on your side!   You sound like you are being unfairly mistreated.  Do NOT pay this person one red penny.  I bet you anything, your boss will just say "JK on the paying back of stuff" and just give you a LOR and let you go about your life.  The nerve of some people here.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:03:50 pm by kyndo »

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 08:34:37 am »
Don't pay them a fudging thing and don't let them make any withdraws on your pay, not including nps, nhis, and taxes. Contact the labor board and negotiate leaving in a way that is fair to you. F them.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 06:25:32 am »
Throughout the duration of my teaching period, things were strange between the director and I. He'd micromanage me, express disapproval over everything I did, and would repeatedly compare me to another teacher who had 5 years of experience under her belt. My first written warning was issued one month later, where he expressed it was because my classes were disorganized. I said I would try harder. Three months go by, and I do everything to a T. I'm given an insurmountable workload, and I don't complain. Then one day, on the fifth month, the head teacher calls me into her office. She says the director is thinking about issuing me a second warning. I ask why. She says it's because I forgot you change a letter on a student's handbook from a lower case to an upper case. She then says a parent complained my classes were boring.

Typical hogwon BS. of course they never express approval of anything you do. They keep you pinned by acting disatisfied, like nothing you do is ever good enough. never mind that you're making fortunes for them and doing the work of two people while they sit around in their offices acting like royalty.

The bullying of vulnerable foreigners here is off the scale. All because the E2 allows them to hold all the power in every situation and you none. It is emotional abuse.

if I were you i would document everything then take out a lawsuit against them with the labour office. that is the only way to teach them a lesson, or they will simply play the same game over and over with every foreigner that falls into their clutches.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 06:27:21 am by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 09:28:17 am »
Throughout the duration of my teaching period, things were strange between the director and I. He'd micromanage me, express disapproval over everything I did, and would repeatedly compare me to another teacher who had 5 years of experience under her belt. My first written warning was issued one month later, where he expressed it was because my classes were disorganized. I said I would try harder. Three months go by, and I do everything to a T. I'm given an insurmountable workload, and I don't complain. Then one day, on the fifth month, the head teacher calls me into her office. She says the director is thinking about issuing me a second warning. I ask why. She says it's because I forgot you change a letter on a student's handbook from a lower case to an upper case. She then says a parent complained my classes were boring.

Typical hogwon BS. of course they never express approval of anything you do. They keep you pinned by acting disatisfied, like nothing you do is ever good enough. never mind that you're making fortunes for them and doing the work of two people while they sit around in their offices acting like royalty.

The bullying of vulnerable foreigners here is off the scale. All because the E2 allows them to hold all the power in every situation and you none. It is emotional abuse.

if I were you i would document everything then take out a lawsuit against them with the labour office. that is the only way to teach them a lesson, or they will simply play the same game over and over with every foreigner that falls into their clutches.

Bosses to this to their Korean staff, also.  It is a highly degenerative cultural trait...backwards and pathetic. 

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 12:03:57 pm »
Or you could grovel and beg and give the boss a huge basket of fruit.