Read 1843 times

Re: You might as well keep your damn shoes on
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 12:47:51 pm »
My first medical exam in Korea I almost had my mouth drop wide open in surprise at what I saw.
Can't find a nurse? Here, just walk around aimlessly with an open container of piss in your hand.

I did my EPIK orientation in the big university in Jeonju, near the end of February. We did our medical screening, and we were also obliged to wander around the big lobby area with our urine sloshing around in paper cups.
   However, what made our experience extra special was that the university had apparently muddled up its scheduling, and the lobby area was also filled with graduating students and their families.

So imagine: hordes of Westerners trying to delicately maneuver around teeming throngs of extremely well dressed Korean families with cups brimming with pee. I was very proud of myself for leaking only a wee bit on their tux when bumped by someone backing up to take a photo. I thought to myself "Urine for it now! They're gonna be pissed!", but Iuckily they hadn't noticed. So in loo of an apology, I smiled for the picture, and whizzed on by.
Flagged

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 12:58:53 pm »
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2019, 04:37:34 pm »
Most of the schools I've worked at have their cafeteria in a separate building from the rest of the school and at one rural school, the only restroom was outside. I've yet to see anyone change their shoes for that. As well, one school would regularly have a teacher vs kids softball game, where the teachers kept their slippers on outside.

On the other end of the spectrum (yet still ridiculous), one elementary school I worked at had a fire/emergency preparedness drill practicing evacuating the school, but the principal told all the kids to stop and change into their "outside shoes" because obviously that's what you do in the case of the place burning to the ground.

"Emergency Preparedness Drill" vs "Let's practice dying"

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2019, 09:24:41 pm »
My first medical exam in Korea I almost had my mouth drop wide open in surprise at what I saw.

Can't find a nurse? Here, just walk around aimlessly with an open container of piss in your hand.

Just stick it on the tray on the public reception desk. No worries about cross contamination or spilled piss.

Great for the old clean sample switcheroo from your coat pocket though. I've thought about how easy that would be here many times. Instead of a kimchi fridge I've got a fridge full of piss.

The blood sample is trickier.

GATTACA is one of my all-time favourite movies.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2019, 05:33:14 am »

Just stick it on the tray on the public reception desk. No worries about cross contamination or spilled piss.

Great for the old clean sample switcheroo from your coat pocket though. I've thought about how easy that would be here many times. Instead of a kimchi fridge I've got a fridge full of piss.
a few years ago i was taking a trip back to england and knew i would end up smoking probably quite a bit of weed. so before i left i cleaned out an old 비타500 bottle and stored some clean piss in it, and popped it in the freezer. mother in law apparently came round our place one day to get something, but she must have had a rummage around in the freezer, as she texted my wife what a frozen bottle of 비타 was doing in there. played it down as a science experiment for school

didn't even need to use that pee anyway in the end, as nobody asked for a medical check until 3 months after i got back :/

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2019, 10:51:59 am »
didn't even need to use that pee anyway in the end, as nobody asked for a medical check until 3 months after i got back :/

Great, now I have an image of you walking around with a paper cup with a pissicle half-frozen in it.  When quizzed about why it's frozen, you say '너무 추워서'.  The nurse just shrugs. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2019, 12:59:46 pm »
...didn't even need to use that pee anyway in the end, as nobody asked for a medical check until 3 months after i got back :/
A good friend of mine got tested 3 months after they got back from vacation and still tested positive for THC. If I recall correctly, it's stored in fatty tissue, so traces of it can enter the bloodstream any time one metabolizes some of that stored fat.

Anyway, they had 2 weeks before the retest, during which time they exercised like crazy to drop a scary, substantial amount of weight, ate several campfires worth of charcoal, and did all sorts of other craziness. They came out clean for the retest, thankfully, so all's well that ended well, I guess.

The blood sample is trickier.

GATTACA is one of my all-time favourite movies.
GATTACA wAs UlTrA ACe. FAnTAstiCly GreAT fliCk!

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2019, 01:12:14 pm »
A good friend of mine...

Yes, of course.  A 'friend'   :laugh:

I had a friend who had to have a '공무원 채용신체 검사서' for a job a month after coming back after vacation.  When this friend was at the hospital they were asked if they wanted to have the '원어민 검사서', this friend declined that one mentioning that they wanted the '공무원' test.  This friend was slightly panicked because the little docket of paper they were carrying around mentioned the 'THC' test.  This friend was relieved to find out that the test was not included on the '공무원' test and was probably for the '원어민' test. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2019, 01:15:23 pm »
A good friend of mine...

I have friends! Why would you think I don't have friends?!? I do! Many of them!!!!  :cry: :cry: :cry:

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2019, 01:27:55 pm »
A good friend of mine...

I have friends! Why would you think I don't have friends?!? I do! Many of them!!!!  :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't doubt you have a lot of friends, it's just most of them have four legs and can lick their own bollocks. 

I was merely poking fun at 'a friend did this' followed by an anecdote that may be incriminating.   :wink:

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2019, 01:56:50 pm »
I don't doubt you have a lot of friends, it's just most of them have four legs and can lick their own bollocks. 

I was merely poking fun at 'a friend did this' followed by an anecdote that may be incriminating.   :wink:
   Before you think I'm a complete muppet, I actually did understand this.
   Deliberate obtuseness is occasionally amusing. Especially when it leads to entertaining descriptions of one's mates!

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2019, 02:39:01 pm »

Before you think I'm a complete muppet,

I would never think that.  You're a Level 1 Mod!!  But if you were a muppet, I'd have you down as...

Here's hoping you can take the Level 2 mod test.  I've heard it involves a urine test though.   :undecided:

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2019, 09:52:23 pm »
I would never think that.  You're a Level 1 Mod!!  But if you were a muppet, I'd have you down as... [Beaker].
Here's hoping you can take the Level 2 mod test.  I've heard it involves a urine test though.
While Beaker *is* pretty groovy, Waygook's general lack of appreciation of my attempts at humour, and my scintillating conversational skills often make me feel more like Fozzie.  :sad:

And I'm not too worried about those urine tests anymore: I now know that if I'm ever in need, I can just take the piss out of oglop('s fridge).

• Cohort 2019
  • Veteran

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2019, 04:12:01 pm »
scintillating

thesaurus nerd :cheesy:
incumbo studiis

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2019, 07:27:11 pm »
scintillating

Bet you had to look that up too.  :wink:

• 303lmc
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2019, 12:01:53 pm »
interesting the shoe thing is a topic of conversation. I just noticed all the kids outside had on their "outside" shoes today at lunch, when just last week no one did. Even the teachers changed shoes. I haven't seen a message about it and no one has said anything to me.

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2019, 07:38:21 am »
scintillating

Bet you had to look that up too.  :wink:

Peremptory balderdash from his escarpment  :undecided:

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2019, 07:52:16 am »