Read 3247 times

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: Foreign Travel Ban
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2019, 01:56:43 pm »
Oh yeah, that's right. Thanks for pointing that out.

So, to clarify, if you go and 'manually' apply for NHIS when you first enter Korea, this does not apply?
Or will one need to spend 6 months in Korea first (without spending more than 30 days abroad during that period) regardless of how one is enrolled?
And if one already has NHIS, then this doesn't seem to apply at all.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 02:01:20 pm by kyndo »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2019, 03:04:54 pm »
I believe this applies to all non-citizens (except those on marriage or D-2 visas).

I interpret this as any foreigner (except F-6, D-2)  who has resided in Korea for more than 6 months is eligible to enroll for national health insurance. However, I'm not sure when you're expected to start paying to NHIS (in your first month or sixth month). I'd imagine you're allowed to subscribe to another (private) health insurance policy during this period, which probably means you don't have to pay NHIS till you're enrolled with them.

If you have been in the country for less than 6 months, you are not eligible to apply for NHIS (again, with the exception of F-6, D-2). You are allowed to leave the country during your first 6 months, but not for longer than 30 days (consecutively or just total is not specified here).

And if you’ve been in the country for more than 6 months, you cannot be outside Korea for more than 30 days (I’d imagine consecutively, but again it’s not specified). If you’re out of the country for more than 30 days, then your NHIS status gets reset on the first day you return (after those 30 days you were out of the country)...which means you’d have to wait another 6 months before being enrolled in NHIS again.

These new rules only apply to ALL non-citizens who arrived in the country  in the "Six months counting back from July 16, 2019" and all times after.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 04:43:34 pm by waygo0k »

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2019, 03:49:44 pm »
I don't know about the NHIS part, though it sounds like it makes sense.
But I do know for the past year they have been up our asses about leaving the country during the vacation period. Everything must be reported before hand and then you have to go to the 주민센터 to get some document printed out and stamped after you return, that corroborates the entry and exit dates you told them. They also want to know all the countries you go to.

2013 - mid 2018, no one ever asked about my vacation plans. Since mid 2018 they are insistent about knowing every detail. I've never heard of the 30 day limit though.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2019, 07:44:09 am »
But I do know for the past year they have been up our asses about leaving the country during the vacation period. Everything must be reported before hand and then you have to go to the 주민센터 to get some document printed out and stamped after you return, that corroborates the entry and exit dates you told them. They also want to know all the countries you go to.

2013 - mid 2018, no one ever asked about my vacation plans. Since mid 2018 they are insistent about knowing every detail. I've never heard of the 30 day limit though.

And what happens if you tell them to mind their own business? My co asked me relentlessly where I was going last winter, I said 'on vacation - I'm not in Korea' no idea what she ended up doing.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2019, 08:06:45 am »

And what happens if you tell them to mind their own business? My co asked me relentlessly where I was going last winter, I said 'on vacation - I'm not in Korea' no idea what she ended up doing.

We had a government audit (which all universities get every 5 years or so) and this was one of the things they checked apparently. This may only be for national unis, not private places. The auditors have a record of all staff exit and entry dates and cross reference with the things we get signed at the local office. It is ridiculous.
Kpip! - Martin 2018