Read 3218 times

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
Foreign Travel Ban
« on: November 13, 2019, 11:06:00 am »
Taken from a recent University posting on Daves, and part of the job 'benefits'.

- Fully furnished one-room apartment located nearby campus
(Instructor will be required to pay for utilities and additional services, such as telephone cable, electricity, gas, internet, etc.)
- A total of 12 weeks paid summer and winter vacations (6 weeks per vacation) when you complete one-year contract
- Travel to foreign countries is allowed within 30 working days a year
- Severance pay (equivalent of one month's salary) upon completion of one-year contract
- coverage of medical insurance
- Private classroom and spacious office (shared with another foreign instructor)
- Excellent working conditions

Just casually slid into the 'benefits' that you are banned from leaving Korea for 7 weeks of YOUR vacation time.

Imagine if you lived on an F visa, married, and your job said, ''You can't leave the country''

What the hell is going on here and how hard would you laugh in their face while booking your plane tickets?
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: Foreign Travel Ban
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 11:24:39 am »
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

From Monday to Friday, from 9 to 5, I'm yours. I won't be treated like a slave or a moron, but I'm yours.

Outside that? Leave me the fukk alone, it genuinely is none of your goddamn business.

PS: "Oh you have 3 months off (and we have clearly laid that out)? Well, did you know that I get to dictate how you spend that time?"

Honestly? Eat a massive dick.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 11:29:09 am »
i wonder what they are thinking with this ad. something like "we pay your wages so we can dicate every aspect of your life"?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 11:35:23 am »
Part of this, according to my professor buddy, is because they donít want you going off and doing paid work while youíre still on their payroll.

During the golden years, it wasnít uncommon for uni lecturers to travel off and do summer/winter work abroad, and get paid handsomely for it too (in some cases up to 10 million won).

But there is no way for them to legally enforce a travel ban on you, or restrict the work you do outside Korea. The best they can do is use scare tactics and hope you donít take them to court.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 11:45:46 am »
Part of this, according to my professor buddy, is because they donít want you going off and doing paid work while youíre still on their payroll.

During the golden years, it wasnít uncommon for uni lecturers to travel off and do summer/winter work abroad, and get paid handsomely for it too (in some cases up to 10 million won).

"I can't believe my employee had time off and then worked extra hours to make money in a different country."

Shit, if my employee did that, I'd be proud. They're motivated, they want to make money and they're willing to work for it.

"Hey boss, I spent my three months in my bedroom, gaining weight and playing Fortnite."

That would be so much more disappointing, right?

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 12:09:26 pm »
I believe it has to do with being in the country for so many days per year for certain benefits.

I knew someone whose school had to fight with the education office because they were out of country (with permission unpaid) for over a certain time. I can't recall exactly but I believe it was related to receiving the pension or severance payment.

Anyways the point being there could be a reason the school must enforce the within the country aspect. I'm not saying its right, but it might be from the higher ups.

Also I could be completely wrong about the issue.... so carry on

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 12:35:56 pm »

But there is no way for them to legally enforce a travel ban on you, or restrict the work you do outside Korea. The best they can do is use scare tactics and hope you donít take them to court.
ok, fine. i'll stay at home wanking to kpop videos for three months. happy now mr. employer sir?
but seriously, what you do in your free time is none of their business

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 01:03:20 pm »
ok, fine. i'll stay at home wanking to kpop videos for three months. happy now mr. employer sir?
but seriously, what you do in your free time is none of their business

There's always one person who says,

"Well, what if your flight was cancelled and you couldn't get back to work on time?"
"What if there was a war in that country and you couldn't get back in time?"
"What if.........?"

When I was playing badminton on a Sunday, years ago, I sprained my ankle. The day after was the last day of my Summer camp and we were taking the kids to Ansan for a cultural trip to Wongok-dong. Nice. Obviously, I called in sick that evening.

Later, my Cant of a co-teacher said that I should have been more "diligent" (Thanks, Korea, I absolutely detest this word now). I knew it was a big day the following day and I should have been NOT playing sports.

Like, wtf do you want me to do? If I went to E-mart and got hit by a motorcycle......... ........... Is that OK? Should I have wrapped myself in bubble wrap when I got home on Friday and not left the house?

There's this thing called a substitute teacher. They are there for a reason.

There's also a thing called, "If I don't come in to work, you punish me." If I'm in Cambodia and I can't make it back in time, that's on me.  It's MY responsibility. If I'm wasted and I'm late, it's ON ME.

Korea: *Hold my beer* YOU KNOW WHAT A BETTER SYSTEM IS? MICROMANAGING MY EMPLOYEES PERSONAL LIVES.

ALL FOOD WILL BE THROUGH MARKET CURLY AND COUPANG FRESH. THAT WAY YOU WON'T BE OUTDOORS WHERE YOU COULD GET HURT. ALSO, YOU'RE A MORMON NOW. NO DRINKING. WANNA SEE TAIPEI 101, TOO FUKKING BAD, KIDDO. YOU COME TO WORK AND GO STRAIGHT HOME IN A GIANT HAMSTER WHEEL. THAT WAY WE DON'T HAVE TO PUT A SUB INTO YOUR CLASS LIKE EVERY OTHER REASONABLE EDUCATION SYSTEM.

Life is hard, shit happens. Sometimes you get hit by a car. Sometimes you're absent and it's your fault. You own up and take the consequences. What I won't accept is "You can't play badminton this weekend because the students have speaking tests next week."

F off.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 01:23:42 pm »
yeah these things are called accidents. nobody does these things on purpose, hence the word....accident

the most infuriating thing is when you drop something or stub your toe and someone next to you says, "why did you do that?". arghhhhh **** off

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 01:28:26 pm »
the most infuriating thing is when you drop something or stub your toe and someone next to you says, "why did you do that?". arghhhhh **** off
Who the hell says that? hahahahaha

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 08:08:58 pm »
"Hey boss, I spent my three months in my bedroom, gaining weight and playing Fortnite."

I wouldn't recommend that. Look at this national university ad:

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
(Before interview)
- Resume and cover letter
- A passport photo
- A recent photo in which his/her whole body appears (Within 3 months)
- Copy of passport information page
- Two letters of recommendation regarding your teaching ability and character from previous employers in the field of education
- Transcripts

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 08:11:00 pm »
Lol fml that can't be real

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 08:18:44 pm »
Recent changes to national health coverage might mess you up if you leave for longer than 30 days.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 08:53:12 pm »
Lol fml that can't be real

It's true. It's this:

Chinju National University of Education (CUE) (http://www.cue.ac.kr), one of the foremost teacher's colleges in Korea, is accepting applications for a one-year renewable position beginning March 1, 2020.

POSITION: Invited Full-time English Conversation Instructor
CONTRACT PERIOD: March 1, 2020 - February 28, 2021 (renewable twice more)

Looks like the most they'll keep you for is three years before kicking you to the curb.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 09:07:20 pm »
Oh, snap! I see this in the ad, too:

- A total of 12 weeks paid summer and winter vacations (6 weeks per vacation) when you complete one-year contract
- Travel to foreign countries is allowed within 30 working days a year

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 09:08:34 pm »
So...three reasons to avoid this school.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 08:35:06 am »

"I can't believe my employee had time off and then worked extra hours to make money in a different country."

Shit, if my employee did that, I'd be proud. They're motivated, they want to make money and they're willing to work for it.

That would be so much more disappointing, right?

Only because of the bolded part. :p

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 09:04:49 am »

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
(Before interview)
- A passport photo
- Two letters of recommendation regarding your teaching ability and character from previous employers in the field of education
- Transcripts
[/quote]

I know photos are not allowed for some jobs now, but really I would never apply for a job that required full body photos.....the focus is too much on appearance and not whether someone actually can do the job

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 09:34:58 am »

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
(Before interview)
- A passport photo
- Transcripts

I know photos are not allowed for some jobs now, but really I would never apply for a job that required full body photos.....the focus is too much on appearance and not whether someone actually can do the job
[/quote]

No mention of clothing in the full body picture though. Maybe Iíll apply   :laugh:

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 10:58:11 am »
On the plus side they give you three months to get classroom body ready.