Read 859 times

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Beppero Day is dying.
« on: November 12, 2019, 11:06:22 pm »
A few years ago most FT's would've walked home with a bag full of bepperos from their students on November 11th.  But yesterday I only got given two boxes.

I bought some for my students, but some of them refused to eat them. I asked why?

The answer? ....because "LOTTE is JAPANESE".   :huh:
Catch my drift?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
Re: Beppero Day is dying.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 11:52:25 pm »
Pocky is Japanese. Bbaebbaero is not considered Japanese in the same way that Lotte Mart is still packed on Saturday,

Public school teachers are not allowed to receive any gifts. Ever. That may be your answer.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 03:13:26 am »
You are not supposed to take gifts from students anymore. Rule changed awhile back.

It killed Christmas and Chuseok gifts at my old school.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 05:24:09 am »
OP, given that everyone is telling you are wrong, have you considered changing you filter on how you see the world and perhaps not defaulting to the conclusions and motives you tend to default to?

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 07:42:54 am »
A few years ago most FT's would've walked home with a bag full of bepperos from their students on November 11th.  But yesterday I only got given two boxes.

I bought some for my students, but some of them refused to eat them. I asked why?

I was told the EXACT same thing by my co-teacher yesterday when I mentioned that no one seem to be expressing any interest in Peppero Day.  In all my years here it has always been a big deal.  Kids have always come up and offered me some peppero and then asked for some in return which I never have.  Absolutely no mention of it yesterday.  I wonder if hakwans were having fun with it?   Stores were certainly promoting it. Co-teacher told me peppero was not Korean and I said I thought that was Pocky, but I noticed Pocky on sale at my local emart.  Whatever, peppero day was always a day to avoid the supermarkets as much as possible in the days leading up to it. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 08:13:42 am »
Dunno. My wife used to receive huge pepero gifts at her kindy. Not a sausage this year though

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 08:18:10 am »
Dunno. My wife used to receive huge pepero gifts at her kindy. Not a sausage this year though

To be fair, if she had come home with a sausage, that would have been weirder.  Especially if that sausage was covered in chocolate.  Maybe she opened all the windows in your apartment to get over it, though.  :undecided:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 08:57:05 am »
if she does that it will make my sausage very small

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 09:41:11 am »

I was told the EXACT same thing by my co-teacher yesterday when I mentioned that no one seem to be expressing any interest in Peppero Day.  In all my years here it has always been a big deal.  Kids have always come up and offered me some peppero and then asked for some in return which I never have.  Absolutely no mention of it yesterday.  I wonder if hakwans were having fun with it?   Stores were certainly promoting it. Co-teacher told me peppero was not Korean and I said I thought that was Pocky, but I noticed Pocky on sale at my local emart.  Whatever, peppero day was always a day to avoid the supermarkets as much as possible in the days leading up to it. 

Lotte was founded by a Korean national, in Tokyo, and the HQ was moved to Korea in the 60s.
Peppero is a ripoff of Japanese Pocky.

Pocky and those little bags of chocolate sports balls are my favourite treats from Lotte Mart.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 09:43:52 am »

Lotte was founded by a Korean national, in Tokyo, and the HQ was moved to Korea in the 60s.
Peppero is a ripoff of Japanese Pocky.

Pocky and those little bags of chocolate sports balls are my favourite treats from Lotte Mart.

Some of my students yesterday were telling me Peppero Day was Japan....I just said "I guess so."  I didn't want to take the time to explain to them the history of Lotte......

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 10:06:37 am »
Pepero

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 10:22:00 am »
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
The joys of fauxtherhood

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 12:49:21 pm »
I got 6 boxes.  Good haul for me.

And why would anyone try to spell it any different than what is written on the box?  Pepero.

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 01:07:00 pm »
I'm old.

November 11th is Remembrance Day for me...!

Although I must confess, back in the halcyon days here I didn't mind getting a bunch of chocolate-covered crunchy sticks on that day...

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 09:35:29 pm »
Pocky is Japanese. Bbaebbaero is not considered Japanese in the same way that Lotte Mart is still packed on Saturday,

I knew this was somehow related to the current Korea-Japan trade dispute.

Lotte bears brunt of Japan trade conflict

A fast-growing consumer boycott on Japanese products is dealing a heavy blow to Lotte Group, as key targets of the consumer-based movements are affiliated with the conglomerate's retail units, industry officials said Friday.

With consumers arguing about whether Lotte is Korean or Japanese, officials said Korea's fifth-largest conglomerate will continue to fall victim to controversies stemming from Korea-Japan relations, unless Chairman Shin Dong-bin's protracted efforts to sever links with Lotte Japan pick up momentum.
https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2019/07/694_272573.html

But it goes back to at least 2015:

Lotte faces backlash in South Korea over ties to Japan

SEOUL – When South Korean Chung Yu-suk read an article about retailer Lotte’s chocolate ads featuring a Japanese figure skating star, he was so angered he started an online group urging Koreans to boycott their country’s top retailer.

Chung is one of a growing number of South Koreans vowing to punish Lotte after a family battle for control of the company spilled out in public and highlighted their deep links to Japan, the Korean Peninsula’s former colonial ruler.

The choice of skater Mao Asada for the advertisement that first appeared years ago was not surprising since it was aimed at the Japanese market, where Lotte also has businesses.

But in South Korea, it only reinforced perceptions Lotte is more Japanese than Korean and particularly because Asada is considered the chief rival of the South’s beloved Kim Yuna
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/08/20/national/lotte-faces-backlash-south-korea-ties-japan/#.XcwGxlczaUk

Catch my drift?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 01:53:06 am »
Geppetto Day?

Well, whittle me wood if you ain't a lyin'!