Read 3473 times

Re: These people have no right to call themselves teachers
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2019, 03:03:08 pm »
Different culture.  Different rules.  A few schools may appreciate your hard line.  But many will not.  Most of us know Korean educational culture.  Kid complains to parents and parents complain to teachers, school, and local education office.  Do you want to pick a fight with all of them?  If your with a rare school that will get your back so be it.  If not, then kick up a shit storm and have a good chance of getting non renewed.  Of course, if the kid threw the ball in my face by accident, I'd laugh it off and whip it back at him.  If it was deliberate with a bad attitude.  I'd bring him to the Korean English teacher or his home room teacher while I yell to make him know I am angry and let them deal with it.  If he disrespects me again, I will stare at him and yell again till he learns it's not appropriate.  But, I don't drag it on beyond the moment.  However, most kids view me as fun and game teacher so I roll with it.  It's rare I have to get mad at kids like that though.  This isn't the west and it never will be no matter how many western ideas do flow in.
I'm not exactly sure how "Western" 200 times writing the alphabet for a plush ball thrown at the English teacher by an elementary school student is. I think most "western" teachers back home would say that is not an appropriate punishment and does nothing to encourage the student to appreciate the subject they are being taught.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2019, 03:33:12 pm »
Textbook publishers, simply switch the chapters around every few years, change "May I speak to Seho?" to "May I speak to Jinu?" and laugh all the way to the bank.

Kids have their own cellphones these days. They don't call landlines to reach their friends. And the odds of them using English to do so are even slimmer.

The latest textbook changes 'may' to 'can', which seems less correct / less formal / less likely to ever be used.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2019, 03:45:18 pm »
well, the books seem to focus on weird set phrases instead of grammar points. kids can say "may i speak to ____?" and two robotic answers, but don't understand how to use present simple. there aren't really any decent practice activities in the books and there aren't any production activities. the CDs are useless and have awkward dialogue and half the vocabulary they teach is insanely basic, or weirdly obscure (or flat-out wrong)

i cannot think of a single redeeming feature of these books. in fact, if i were to create a textbook with the aim of it being completely and utter shit, it would most likely turn out exactly like the public school books

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2019, 07:18:45 pm »
Different culture.  Different rules.  A few schools may appreciate your hard line.  But many will not.  Most of us know Korean educational culture.  Kid complains to parents and parents complain to teachers, school, and local education office.  Do you want to pick a fight with all of them?  If your with a rare school that will get your back so be it.  If not, then kick up a shit storm and have a good chance of getting non renewed.  Of course, if the kid threw the ball in my face by accident, I'd laugh it off and whip it back at him.  If it was deliberate with a bad attitude.  I'd bring him to the Korean English teacher or his home room teacher while I yell to make him know I am angry and let them deal with it.  If he disrespects me again, I will stare at him and yell again till he learns it's not appropriate.  But, I don't drag it on beyond the moment.  However, most kids view me as fun and game teacher so I roll with it.  It's rare I have to get mad at kids like that though.  This isn't the west and it never will be no matter how many western ideas do flow in.
I'm not exactly sure how "Western" 200 times writing the alphabet for a plush ball thrown at the English teacher by an elementary school student is. I think most "western" teachers back home would say that is not an appropriate punishment and does nothing to encourage the student to appreciate the subject they are being taught.

As I said, I've taught this kid for 3yrs. With a CT, his behaviour was even worse as he played to her sympathies like a fiddle, he would literally say "pokyou" to her face and she'd do nothing other than have a gentle conversation with him while her completely ignored her and doodled in his textbook.

"Western" teachers would:

- give demerits, can't do that
- give detention, can't do that
- contact the parents (obviously not in this situation), but, can't do that
- physical punishment (squats etc.), illegal.

If you can think of a better punishment other than writing out and/or sitting at the back of class, please, share your wisdom...

This kid has never given a flying f*ck about any subject at school, including English and that's not changing anytime soon. You think getting him interested in English is my main priority right now?
He needs to fear the consequences of his actions while in my class and it's starting to work. He's learning that he can't start nonsense as easily in my class. My first goal is to get him be quiet and not distract the other students (all of whom eagerly participate in my lessons).

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2019, 07:22:51 pm »
Different culture.  Different rules. 

That may be, but it's still my class and I'm the only teacher present.

« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2019, 08:13:21 pm »
If you can think of a better punishment other than writing out and/or sitting at the back of class, please, share your wisdom...

This kid has never given a flying f*ck about any subject at school, including English and that's not changing anytime soon. You think getting him interested in English is my main priority right now?
He needs to fear the consequences of his actions while in my class and it's starting to work. He's learning that he can't start nonsense as easily in my class. My first goal is to get him be quiet and not distract the other students (all of whom eagerly participate in my lessons).
You could bring him in during lunch time and have him clean the classroom. Or just sit him at his desk and have him watch his classmates having fun out the window.

He might also be a kid who is constitutionally incapable of receiving any discipline short of getting his ass beat. In which case all you can is mitigate him. It sucks, but there are those kids everywhere around the world, including the west. And even punishments like demerits, detention, calls home, and suspension are unpersuasive.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2019, 08:24:04 am »
Who has the right to call themself a TEACHer?

That is an open question.

To be an educator is better than being a teacher. People often forget that and only teach 'the book'. It's our job to broaden their minds, though I must admit that is a bit of a challenge given the limited time we have with students.

Harder still when the schools force you to teach from the book and make it a core part of your curriculum.

I really wish they'd either set aside a separate curriculum for the NETs, or let the NETs teach the way they're meant to. They want these kids to engage in English practice more? Then maybe they should let them deviate away from the book more often (or at least get books that are better written and geared towards this purpose) and allow for more teaching methods.

So frustrating, especially when KTs get on their high horses about it and think that teaching from a CD and mind maps is the crème de la crème of education.

"The students need to hear you speak."

Yeah, well, maybe that would be more effective if you let me have more time to actually talk to them vs making them fill in the blanks in the writing portions of their terrible textbooks. So stupid.

My schools are like that. They want the book, and nothing but; the only extra they let me do is a PPT. My PPTs have to be made a specific way too.
However, outside of my classes, I talk with the students a lot, and they tend to learn more from me then haha.
Or I just practice what we have been learning that week with them.

However, according to my boss, the students have had a noticeable increase in their English grade since I've been here. My co-t gave me a lot of the credit for that before they told me, and I basically gave her the credit because, I didn't think I've that much of a difference.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2019, 08:35:56 am »

As I said, I've taught this kid for 3yrs. With a CT, his behaviour was even worse as he played to her sympathies like a fiddle, he would literally say "pokyou" to her face and she'd do nothing other than have a gentle conversation with him while her completely ignored her and doodled in his textbook.

"Western" teachers would:

- give demerits, can't do that
- give detention, can't do that
- contact the parents (obviously not in this situation), but, can't do that
- physical punishment (squats etc.), illegal.

The bold part sounds like the soccer students at my travel school.
My co-t films them while they are doing bad stuff to show their parents, and the students, just don't care. When they realize the teacher is filming them, they'll do a hand heart and say "Hi mum!" or say something in Korean, then go back to whatever bad thing they were doing.

There has only been 1 or 2 times they have truly feared the consequences of their actions, the one they feared the most was when they started a small fire in the classroom. They all told me they hated me after the class, cause I went and got some of the Korean teachers after it was put out, and the teachers, and principal, caught them trying to cover up the smoke smell with deodorant.