Read 848 times

AGI Language Institute in Gangnam
« on: November 12, 2019, 12:07:24 pm »
Has anyone worked here of know anything about this school in Yeoksam, Gangnam?

I saw several job postings online from this school but can't find any information or reviews about it.

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
Re: AGI Language Institute in Gangnam
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 05:26:19 am »
AGI Language is a well established academy in Yeoksam Dong, Gangnam-Gu, Seoul. We have over 25 native English teachers on staff and are North American owned and operated. Combined, our teaching staff have well over a century of teaching experience; both here in South Korea and around the globe. Many of our teachers have been here at AGI for over 5 years. We use this wealth of knowledge and experience to foster a cooperative and dynamic learning environment.

We are currently looking for experienced, professional oriented teachers who enjoy working in a dynamic and challenging classroom.

As a teacher at AGI, you are provided with small class sizes, complete classroom materials, subject lesson plans, clear course objectives, and specific assessment methodology; freeing you to be the professional teacher and group leader needed for a successful classroom.
http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=pororobf&logNo=221678191440&parentCategoryNo=&categoryNo=22&viewDate=&isShowPopularPosts=true&from=search

I'd be interested, if only for the easy short lines of communication. The best time I had in Korea was at a school run by Canadian teachers.

I can't find much else. I am wondering what would make them 'professional' and what all this homework class chat is about. Wouldn't the absence of homework be the direct result of professionalism or have I missed something completely these past few years? Well, what do I know, right? I'm just a silly ol' fart, I don't understand these new millenial concepts such as successful  homework schools filled with professional leaders perusing endless word lists for spelling errors. I will just have to make do with a few students and a screen.

Sadly, it's as I had feared, not a very bad one but yet another primary that thinks toddlers need to sit down and write and study word lists. You'll do fine of course and everyone around will tell you that this is how you teach effectively but I wouldn't be able to get myself to subject young kids to such an ineffective methodology.  Well, what am I doing lol, trying to train a complete stranger online . ;D dumb me lol. out.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:55:36 pm by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

Re: AGI Language Institute in Gangnam
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 11:41:11 pm »
  It might be a very professional school, but you would need more information. Does the hagwon allow you to contact other western teachers who have taught there? Would the boss be there when you contact them? Are you getting info on what it's like to teach there? If you can't contact the teachers it's a red flag.

Have you seen the contract? If you have, please read it carefully, and let people on waygook.org  review any strange clauses. Are there any strange fees and charges involved? Your contract will give indications of how you'll be treated.

As regards being "North American owned and operated," that can be good, because you may communicate more easily and focus on teaching with few cultural misunderstandings. However, Gangnam is a very competitive area. If the ad stated "North American female only," then that shows the school's priorities. Also, if the teachers all turn out to be beautiful.  Gangnam is competitive in that way.

In any case, try to get as much info as possible from the school.