Read 377 times

• Alex Hoy
  • Adventurer

• March 04, 2013, 01:16:05 pm
    • Gyeongbuk Province
A quick grammar question
« on: November 12, 2019, 12:03:11 pm »
Hey guys,
So my co-teacher just gave me a bunch of essays to mark and they all have this sort of grammar structure:

Everland has many fun rides to enjoy. You must like Everland.

I want to change must to will but I have no idea why. Technically the sentence " You must like Everland" is correct but it doesn't sit well with me. Can anyone help me out?
Thanks in advance

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Re: A quick grammar question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 12:10:41 pm »
Must can be used as a strong modal of suggestion with action verbs, e.g. 'you must visit Everland while you're here' but not with a state verb such as 'like' as it takes on the meaning of a modal of obligation. e.g. 'You must like Everland because I spent a fortune on the entrance fee.  Or a modal of deduction - 'you must like Everland, as you visited it three times.'

'Will' can be used as a modal of prediction.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 12:14:59 pm by stoat »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 01:29:52 pm »
Hey guys,
So my co-teacher just gave me a bunch of essays to mark and they all have this sort of grammar structure:

Everland has many fun rides to enjoy. You must like Everland.

I want to change must to will but I have no idea why. Technically the sentence " You must like Everland" is correct but it doesn't sit well with me. Can anyone help me out?
Thanks in advance

In "Everland has many fun rides to enjoy. You must like Everland.", the word "must" lends itself to 2 different interpretations.

The first is that the second sentence is an imperative: "You must like Everland, or else you'll never see your wife and children again."
  Given the very limited context, this makes no sense. The first sentence gives no real reason why you must do anything.

The second interpretation is that it's being used in a deduction/conclusion sense. However, again, the first sentence doesn't provide clues or hints about your opinion on Everland. Just because the speaker thinks it's a decent amusement park doesn't mean that you, who lost your entire extended family in a horrific roller-coaster accident a few years back, like it.

"Should" or "will" would work much better because, as stoat noted, they're predictive modals, which fit the context far better.

• Cohort 2019
  • Veteran

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 07:49:07 am »
It's a faulty direct translation from the Korean expression: I expect it must be to your liking because ...(you're eating Kimchi so 'well'.)
incumbo studiis

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 08:10:49 am »
Yeah, eggiegu--I mean stoat--gave a good answer

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 09:10:06 am »
also i will note that sometimes (of course not all) koreans directly translate the word "must" into 무조건 which can also mean "without a doubt/definitely". 

so in korean, it makes sense to say it like that but in English it's not in the correct context and changing it with 'definitely' or 'without a doubt' is better.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 09:12:12 am »
also i will note that sometimes (of course not all) koreans directly translate the word "must" into 무조건 which can also mean "without a doubt/definitely". 

so in korean, it makes sense to say it like that but in English it's not in the correct context and changing it with 'definitely' or 'without a doubt' is better.

you definitely like everland
you without a doubt like everland

...?

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 10:04:21 am »
Yeah, eggiegu--I mean stoat--gave a good answer

You are aware that deadnaming someone is considered a hate crime in UK law these days.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 10:06:21 am by stoat »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 10:15:24 am »
from what i read, deadnaming was specifically a transgender issue. you transgender?

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 10:18:29 am »
I believe the correct question is ' what are your preferred pronouns?'  :smiley:

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 11:43:25 am »

...?

...?
so it's not that i was saying that the student was trying to write "you without a doubt like everland" which is ...incorrect.
i was trying to say that sometimes, a person will try to directly translate their L1 thoughts into L2 and just giving some possibilities of where that student's mind was when they wrote that.
who knows though.
it's just something ive noticed among my student as well when they say "must" so sometimes they expression themselves funny in English

but im not saying all students are like this either. just a thought, albiet unuseful!