Read 2551 times

Re: Esl teachers are losers?!?!
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2019, 05:47:53 am »
It's all true.  I'm such a loser that when I approach the automatic doors in Lotte Mart, they don't open.  I have to stand aside and wait for someone else to walk through first.  FML.

Wasn't that in a season Fargo?  The doors wouldn't open for that cop and the sinks wouldn't turn on for her when she held her hands under them?  I know it's familiar.
Simpsons did it. When Bart sold his soul.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2019, 07:51:53 am »
It's all true.  I'm such a loser that when I approach the automatic doors in Lotte Mart, they don't open.  I have to stand aside and wait for someone else to walk through first.  FML.

Wasn't that in a season Fargo?  The doors wouldn't open for that cop and the sinks wouldn't turn on for her when she held her hands under them?  I know it's familiar.
Simpsons did it. When Bart sold his soul.

That may be so, but I checked up to satisfy my curiosity and it also would happen to the deputy in Fargo Season 3.  It was never really explained but in the end a faucet sensor did work for her suggesting some kind of resolution. 

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2019, 08:31:13 am »
Soy un perdedor. I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2019, 09:38:54 am »
Soy un perdedor.

To catch a perdedor.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2019, 12:18:10 pm »
I liked this topic better when it was titled "Are ESL teachers loosers?"  :sad:

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2019, 08:25:09 am »
Where did this stereotype come from?

Low income, badly dressed, bad mannered, shaggy haircut, bearded, tattooed, overweight, drug-taking foreigners.

The most common term I hear from Koreans to describe the above is actually not "loser," but "dirty person." Since Korea is clean-cut conservatism and wealth/status conscious, the above appearance/behavior seems "dirty" to them. Actually, they would perceive Silicon Valley sweat-pant-wearing hipster-coders the same. But since those people are not here, when they see this appearance they think "oh my, dirty English teachers!" But not all English teachers are perceived in this matter, it's appearance/class based.

A good tip is to dress more like Winston Sterzel on YouTube; you'll get more respect here in East Asia.

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2019, 11:39:01 am »
Where did this stereotype come from?

Low income, badly dressed, bad mannered, shaggy haircut, bearded, tattooed, overweight, drug-taking foreigners.

The most common term I hear from Koreans to describe the above is actually not "loser," but "dirty person." Since Korea is clean-cut conservatism and wealth/status conscious, the above appearance/behavior seems "dirty" to them. Actually, they would perceive Silicon Valley sweat-pant-wearing hipster-coders the same. But since those people are not here, when they see this appearance they think "oh my, dirty English teachers!" But not all English teachers are perceived in this matter, it's appearance/class based.

A good tip is to dress more like Winston Sterzel on YouTube; you'll get more respect here in East Asia.

Well, I for one don't really care how much I'm respected if that respect is based soley on my choice of fashion, money, or other materialistic things. Some westerners do take this concept too far and I've seen them show up to orientation and other semi formal events in flip flops and t-shirts. That kind of thing isn't cool either, but I'm not going to base my life on trying to get respect from people who want to judge me on trivial nonsense. Having to keep up with the Kim's and a lot of worry about status is probably why the suicide rate is so high in East Asia. I want no part of it. It's all about balance.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2019, 11:49:33 am »
Some westerners do take this concept too far and I've seen them show up to orientation and other semi formal events in flip flops and t-shirts. That kind of thing isn't cool either,
Yeah, there's Hawaiian vacation on one end, and black tie on the other. Both are bad. Wear a shirt with buttons and pants without holes in them and you should pass.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2019, 11:54:12 am »
I wore a suit and tie to work until my co-teacher asked me to dress down to fit in. Blue jeans and polo shirts.....

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2019, 11:55:57 am »
it's pretty simple to dress suitably, or at least i thought it was. sometimes going to corporate classes, i pass other foreigners, who i find out from my students are teaching at the same company (often 1:1 with the CEO or whatever). soooo many times i see them wearing dirty trainers/khaki shorts, flip flops, etc. i mean, cmon...

I wore a suit and tie to work until my co-teacher asked me to dress down to fit in. Blue jeans and polo shirts.....
yeah... on my first day at teaching high school (first day teaching ever!), i was told to "stop dressing like the students" because i was wearing a suit :/

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2019, 11:56:46 am »

Serpentza. My countryman.

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2019, 12:06:57 pm »
It's interesting to see how Korean guys dress when they come to IELTs speaking tests at the weekend. Despite the formal occasion, all the clean cut conservatism goes right out of the window and you see most of them in t shirts, baggy shorts and flip flops. I guess it's because they know they'll be getting a foreigner as an examiner.

edit: That's in the summer of course, in the winter they come in the obligatory ankle length padded coat, which they keep on for the entirety of the test, despite the heating
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 12:11:19 pm by stoat »

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2019, 12:44:27 pm »
A lot of the "Koreans dress so well" is Orientalist BS. I think the main thing is that far fewer are overweight and so clothes fit them properly and they dont wear the big baggy things that a lot of overweight people wear in the west. There is certainly a percentage that are very fashion conscious and that percentage may be higher then it would be outside Korea. But the general population just wear what people wear elsewhere. I have noticed that the 'hiking gear when you aren't hiking' fad his died down in the past couple of years. 2013-14, you'd got to Emart and everyone over the age of 25 was wearing brightly coloured hiking gear while shopping.

At the uni I teach at, students wear what you would see at any university in the west. A lot of socks and sandals from students coming directly from their dorms. A lot of hoodies. A lot of the same clothes again and again and again for every class. 9/10am classes STINK. They sleep till the last second before they need to leave their dorms to get to class, so most don't shower or wash. The morning classes are always stank. It's not a BO smell, more like a musty smell mixed with ciggs and kimchi.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2019, 12:50:11 pm »
I'm a loser! :'( This weekend, I tried to catch a gigantamax butterfree on pokemon sword, multiple times, but each time it broke out of the pokeball. And I forgot to save before trying to catch it each time. :'(

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2019, 01:03:16 pm »
The morning classes are always stank. It's not a BO smell, more like a musty smell mixed with ciggs and kimchi.

so...like every morning on the subway, then

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2019, 07:16:45 am »
They sleep till the last second before they need to leave their dorms to get to class, so most don't shower or wash.

This is something I'll never understand in general, especially when you have close contact with other people, which would include being a student.  The night after the university entrance test this year, obviously the 3rd-grade teachers went out to celebrate, fine.  I met the 3rd-grade headteacher (a good friend who I've known for years) the day after in the corridor, and he absolutely reeked of soju.  He shook my hand, 'Ronnie, I like you, you know that?' and then walked off.  I don't know what it is.  I've always been brought up to have dignity, hide any excesses you may have had and have a separation of personal/work life.  Even if I were to go to bed at 2am and had to be at work at 8am, for example, I'd still wake up and allow an hour to shower and eat breakfast and get ready.  I've never been able to roll out of bed and into school or work.  There is just something that seems wrong about it.  Maybe it's just a personal thing. 

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2019, 07:37:50 am »
It's interesting to see how Korean guys dress when they come to IELTs speaking tests at the weekend. Despite the formal occasion, all the clean cut conservatism goes right out of the window and you see most of them in t shirts, baggy shorts and flip flops. I guess it's because they know they'll be getting a foreigner as an examiner.

Really? I guess it's because they want to be as comfortable as possible to devote as much psychic energy as possible to the test material.  Invigilators don't mark them down for the outfits they're wearing, do they?

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2019, 08:17:29 am »

Really? I guess it's because they want to be as comfortable as possible to devote as much psychic energy as possible to the test material.  Invigilators don't mark them down for the outfits they're wearing, do they?

Yeah maybe. Of course the test is marked purely on what emerges from their gobs, though if I was taking it I 'd probably make a bit of effort appearance wise just to avoid any unconscious bias.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2019, 10:01:21 am »
i'm not a loser. i'm a looser

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2019, 12:03:34 pm »

There are merits to both, I guess.

Slovenly, yet comfortable might make it easier for some people to relax and concentrate.
Neat and dapper might give others a bit of a confidence boost.