Read 1905 times

Re: Lest We Forget
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2019, 01:46:57 pm »
In spite of his numerous and significant flaws, I think a lot of people have completely lost their minds about him.

A lot?  No.  More like a small percentage.  The rest of us can see what he does, how he acts, listen to him, and then calmly see him for the disgusting person that he is. 

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2019, 01:47:38 pm »
Wrong, he was implying 'regular people' don't need to know precise dates...  He wasn't saying, as you are, that the Chinese may have one set of dates in mind and people in the West another. That's obvious.
Sooo... what you're saying is that Chinese and Japanese folk aren't regular people? 

Yes Cathy

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2019, 01:53:43 pm »
Even in Europe "The years WWII began and ended" might vary. I imagine Finns, Czechs/Slovaks, Austrians, and Russians might have a different view. For Jewish people it probably begins with Hitler becoming Chancellor.

In USA, if you asked in 1960, you might get a lot of people saying "When Pearl Harbor was bombed."

In Asia your answer could be as early as the Japanese invasion of Manchuria. In Korea the occupation by Japan until the end in 1945 is one long event.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2019, 05:06:00 pm »
The OP seems to have created this thread to demonstrate their superiority over everyone else who uses this site. Good job.

My dad, who incidentally grew up in Queens and therefore had a dialect very similar to Trump's, busted my chops one time because I told him that WW2 started in 1939, and he brought up China and Manchuria. So he clearly disagreed with the notion of one fixed date being arbitrarily chosen as the start point. This seems to devalue the need for regular people to remember such dates, and instead have a more general sense of time.

When I was student teaching, some 8th graders asked my cooperating teacher a swarm of questions that she just brushed off. Ones like how compasses point north, where the seasons come from, etc. The previous week I had sat in on their science class, in which they played a quiz game about the same topic. So they didn't learn anything, and this was in a school considered the highest performing in the county (and high-ranked in the state).

I assume LIC stands for Long Island City. What confuses me is why we need another holiday for veterans in America when we already have Memorial Day, and Veterans' Day, and I frequently see Armistice Day on calendars as well. Hell, for Memorial Day we have big parades.

As for Mr. DeMartino, it is amusing to see someone denigrate themselves so thoroughly for Trump when there are almost innumerable potential replacements within the party, who are just as conservative and yet not nearly as dumb. Sad!

Uh...no. I started it for Remembrance Day which is important. Would you say a Jewish person who says "Never again" in reference to the Holocaust is doing it only to inflate their ego, demonstrate their superiority? Good God, what a profoundly ignorant, arrogant and classless utterance.

As my late grandfather - he who lied about his age to go fight the Nazis because he was too young and his two older brothers had already left, only he returned after years at the front - was wont to say:

"If you don't wanna stand behind our troops and support 'em, please feel free to stand in front of 'em"

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2019, 05:31:01 pm »
The OP seems to have created this thread to demonstrate their superiority over everyone else who uses this site. Good job.

My dad, who incidentally grew up in Queens and therefore had a dialect very similar to Trump's, busted my chops one time because I told him that WW2 started in 1939, and he brought up China and Manchuria. So he clearly disagreed with the notion of one fixed date being arbitrarily chosen as the start point. This seems to devalue the need for regular people to remember such dates, and instead have a more general sense of time.

When I was student teaching, some 8th graders asked my cooperating teacher a swarm of questions that she just brushed off. Ones like how compasses point north, where the seasons come from, etc. The previous week I had sat in on their science class, in which they played a quiz game about the same topic. So they didn't learn anything, and this was in a school considered the highest performing in the county (and high-ranked in the state).

I assume LIC stands for Long Island City. What confuses me is why we need another holiday for veterans in America when we already have Memorial Day, and Veterans' Day, and I frequently see Armistice Day on calendars as well. Hell, for Memorial Day we have big parades.

As for Mr. DeMartino, it is amusing to see someone denigrate themselves so thoroughly for Trump when there are almost innumerable potential replacements within the party, who are just as conservative and yet not nearly as dumb. Sad!

Uh...no. I started it for Remembrance Day which is important. Would you say a Jewish person who says "Never again" in reference to the Holocaust is doing it only to inflate their ego, demonstrate their superiority? Good God, what a profoundly ignorant, arrogant and classless utterance.

As my late grandfather - he who lied about his age to go fight the Nazis because he was too young and his two older brothers had already left, only he returned after years at the front - was wont to say:

"If you don't wanna stand behind our troops and support 'em, please feel free to stand in front of 'em"

But you're not a soldier bro. This is tantamount to stolen valor....disappointing coming from LIC.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2019, 07:11:36 am »
Yes Cathy
Insofar as put downs go, that one's pretty ambiguous.

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2019, 07:28:31 am »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2019, 07:51:12 am »
:laugh:

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2019, 04:35:38 pm »
I don't think it's necessary to be or have been a soldier to show respect to them. That idea is ludicrous. I grew up a military brat, which in itself means nothing more than I have an idea of what goes on more than someone who didn't spend their childhood on a base. But maybe that's enough.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2019, 04:39:27 pm »
This may sound extremely strange to some, most, or all, but I never joined the military because there was no war going on I could get involved in at the time. Yeah..I've got it in me.......were I lucky enough to have been born 10 years prior I would have jumped into Vietnam with both feet.

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2019, 12:30:45 am »
This may sound extremely strange to some, most, or all, but I never joined the military because there was no war going on I could get involved in at the time. Yeah..I've got it in me.......were I lucky enough to have been born 10 years prior I would have jumped into Vietnam with both feet.

you would have given your life for the military industrial complex? Is Lockheed Martin mentioned in your will?

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2019, 12:11:36 pm »

you would have given your life for the military industrial complex? Is Lockheed Martin mentioned in your will?

No, I would have given my life in defense of my country had it been in a declared war against another country. I may be a lot of things but one of them is not a coward.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2019, 12:18:11 pm »
Apparently, you are.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2019, 02:49:32 pm »

Convenient. "I would have joined, but there weren't any wars!"

You know as well as I do, you were never going to join. And if there was a draft you would have dodged it. Don't lie to us bro. We've built a community of truth and good stories here and it's unacceptable to just come in here making up lies.

Joining the military.....lol. You're priceless LIC.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2019, 03:17:59 pm »

You know as well as I do, you were never going to join. And if there was a draft you would have dodged it. Don't lie to us bro. We've built a community of truth and good stories here and it's unacceptable to just come in here making up lies.

He could have been one of the 7 out of ten soldiers who never fired their weapon, according to military theory.

https://www.historynet.com/men-against-fire-how-many-soldiers-actually-fired-their-weapons-at-the-enemy-during-the-vietnam-war.htm

There was another theory that only an average of 6 soldiers in a platoon actually did anything in a battle situation, the rest blindly followed or hid wherever possible. I can't remember who came up with that one but I remember it was in WW2 and he was fired by Monty for voicing it as it was deemed bad for morale. Perhaps one of the resident military historians like DM can recall.  Anyway these kinds of stories explain to a large extent why a lot of the guys who survived wars are very self-effacing/humble about their exploits.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 03:50:35 pm by stoat »

• fka
  • Veteran

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2019, 03:47:10 pm »
Had there been more danger involved, I would've been a heroic firefighter. Problem was, I lived in a small town and there just weren't enough fires to put out, and there was no way I was going to sit around getting paid for doing nothing. So I wound up teaching English instead.

Similarly, I've always wanted a dog, with one condition - it would have to be a bomb-sniffing one. There aren't many bombs in my local area, though, so I've had to settle for a goldfish.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 03:50:42 pm by fka »

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2019, 09:42:01 am »

He could have been one of the 7 out of ten soldiers who never fired their weapon, according to military theory.

https://www.historynet.com/men-against-fire-how-many-soldiers-actually-fired-their-weapons-at-the-enemy-during-the-vietnam-war.htm

There was another theory that only an average of 6 soldiers in a platoon actually did anything in a battle situation, the rest blindly followed or hid wherever possible. I can't remember who came up with that one but I remember it was in WW2 and he was fired by Monty for voicing it as it was deemed bad for morale. Perhaps one of the resident military historians like DM can recall.  Anyway these kinds of stories explain to a large extent why a lot of the guys who survived wars are very self-effacing/humble about their exploits.
I don't have any sources off-hand, but from what I've heard, the modern "tooth-to-tail" ratio for the military is somewhere between 7 ~14:1 in terms of combat vs. noncombat. Odds are if you join the army, your chances of being in a firefight are low.

Of course this would all depend on how you'd describe things. Would having a mortar land 50 yards from your office in the Green Zone while you were debugging lines of code count as under fire? Some might say yes and some might say no. Things change, especially these days with asymmetric warfare.

So yeah, it's all up to definitions and such, but odds are you're probably not going to be shooting it out with the baddies.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2019, 10:20:49 am »
So yeah, it's all up to definitions and such, but odds are you're probably not going to be shooting it out with the baddies.

No way, I've been shooting pop cans at my ranch since I was 8. I'd totally save my squad and get a purple heart, bro.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2019, 10:26:04 am »
No way, I've been shooting pop cans at my ranch since I was 8. I'd totally save my squad and get a purple heart, bro.
Pshh. If you were a *real* rancher kid, you would've been plinking mason jars filled with gunpowder emptied from shottie shells.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2019, 02:53:13 pm »