Read 3088 times

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Re: Being asked to resign...
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2020, 04:14:51 am »
Sorry to hear about your situation OP. Actually yours is a very common predicament in Korea.

Workplace culture here is very childish, its like being back in high school.

A couple of points:

1. Everything depends on whether your boss likes you personally. If he does, then you can do no wrong. If he doesn't, you can do no right, and there is no way you will ever be able to change their minds no matter what you do.
2. Whether the boss likes you usually depends on the most shallow of impressions or factors. Simply being young and good looking is usually enough to swing it, but its all very unpredictable and extremely easy to fall into your bosses bad books.
3. Your job performance has almost nothing to do with anything. You could be the best teacher in the world, but they will never recognize or acknowledge your achievement. Mostly because the management here knows zero about actual teaching.
4. They tend not to fix problems in Korea. They just get a new person. In their minds, the grass is always greener on the other side and they would prefer to fly in a complete unknown stranger, a blank slate- rather than  hang on to what they already have, even if that person is a proven and successful good worker. Its a very fickle and transitory society.
5. If you take their nonsense, they will give you more. If you stand up for yourself, you will get fired.
6. They are big into hierarchy and status, and they all want to be CEOs and managers. But none of them actually have a clue how to manage employees. Generally they do not know how to motivate their employees and they are about 80 years behind the west in terms of basic management skills. It is as though there needs to be a massive giant seminar held in this country to update all the managers on how to create a positive working environment.

There are plenty of weirdos out there...and this waygook who ‘mouth raped’ his colleague doesn’t even make the top 5 list of complete nut jobs I’ve met or heard of in korea.

Nature or nurture?

Why is it that Korea especially has this track record of making its expats lose their minds?

Its because of the way Koreans tend to treat foreigners. Isolating and bullying lone outsiders over months and years tends to have the effect of  knocking them off balance emotionally.
Catch my drift?

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 10:45:45 am »
I have sent you a PM. Read it if you wish and respond if you desire. There's better out there, believe me.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2020, 12:04:48 pm »

I have sent you a PM. Read it if you wish and respond if you desire. There's better out there, believe me.
It don't get any better than the tropics, amirite 8)

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2020, 03:14:07 pm »
It don't get any better than the tropics, amirite 8)

No, it does get better. It always gets better. amirite?

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90°S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 05:24:50 am »
tropLIC
incumbo studiis

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2020, 03:48:57 pm »
Three months go by, and I do everything to a T. I'm given an insurmountable workload, and I don't complain. I do everything on time, so he'll have no reason to be upset. Then one day, on the fifth month, the head teacher calls me into her office.

She tells me to start looking for another job. I asked if I'm being fired. She says no. Rather than fire me, she says the director's giving me a chance to resign. No second or third letter. I'm so confused. I ask what will happen if I stay. She says he'll find a bullshit reason to kick me out and issue the other warnings.

If the Employer has fewer than 5 Employees including yourself there are fewer Articles of the Labor Standards Act that provide you protections.

The company does have to give you 30 Days notice of Termination. Notice of Termination only comes into Effect 30 days AFTER they provide it to you on paper, signed and stamped with the Company Seal i.e. if they gave it to you on the 1st of January your last day of Employment is the 30th.  The company does not need to provide any "write ups", or "warnings", so I will assume that the Employer has more than 5 Employees.

The following applies if there are MORE than 5 employees including yourself:

1) For them to terminate you they must provide a WRITTEN letter of Termination, i.e. email, sms, a "chat" will not qualify as the notice the Employer must legally provide
2) The Letter of Termination only comes into Effect 30 days AFTER they provide it to you on paper, signed and stamped with the Company Seal i.e. if they gave it to you on the 1st of January your last day of Employment is the 30th.
3) Between the required Verbal and Written Warnings the time required for the Employer to properly prepare to issue a Letter of Termination is 6 weeks (any shorter than the Ministry of Labor considers it not to be proper notification and the "warnings/notices" are null and void) and THEN they get to give you the Letter of Termination: total time to terminate is really about 10 weeks + 1 day.
4) You do not need the Letter of Release, you DO need a Record of Work.  If your Employer really wants you to quit then they should provide the LOR immediately,   they want it to appear that you quit to avoid paying you Severance, Overtime and Unused Annual leave (which is usually 10 - 12 weeks of Salary).
5) They will insist that "... you sign this and then we will give you the LOR...", even if you sign anything it does not guarantee you will get the LOR and on more than one occasion the LOR was not provided after the Employee signed a statement that they "...  were quitting.."
6) You will be able to claim any unpaid wages, unpaid overtime and your Annual Leave (Holidays) accrue at the rate of 1 day per month until your 10 month of employment at which time it jumps to 15, and (strangely) on the last day of your Employment it jumps up by another 12 days.  Every day of Annual Leave you do not use you get cash, and then an additional 25% of the Cash received from unused annual leave is paid into Severance.... Severance that they must pay you at the end of your contract.

Really, in the event you are terminated you can file a Legal Claim of Unfair Dismissal and Unpaid Wages (3-4 months of Salary is the usual award).
You have to file the claim for Unpaid Wages within 90 days of your last day of Employment, the Unpaid Wages has a statue of Limitations of 2 years (so there is time).

In any event, ensure you have a safe place to stay that is always the most difficult circumstance to overcome.
As for the Employment, really once you receive the Record of Work you can use that to file for a D-10 VISA because it states the first day of employment, your position and your last day of Employment and it is signed by the Employer.  It is notification that the Employer has terminated your Employment AND you are released from your contract.

Switch to the D-10 VISA.

It is issued for up to 6 months, it gives you time to sort stuff out i.e. you do not jump from the frying pan into the fire and then when you apply for another position and they ask your VISA and you say D-10 a Letter of Release is NOT required for the former Employers VISA sponsorship to be transferred to the next Employer: a new E-2 is issued.

Cheers,