Read 270 times

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Georgian/Russian restaurants in Seoul
« on: November 08, 2019, 10:07:28 am »
A friend this summer mentioned that while living in Germany he had been introduced to Georgian food which he said was hearty and most delicious.  He said when your average Russian goes to a Russian restaurant they are really going to enjoy Georgian fare.   No idea if it applies here but I am always up for some new cuisine.  Anyone ever go into one of these Russian spots and have some feedback on the food?  I just assumed it was all borscht and caviar washed down with vodka. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: Georgian/Russian restaurants in Seoul
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 12:47:27 pm »
 When I lived in Canada, it was in what was originally a Doukhobor community. The vast majority of them were from the Ukraine and from Russia, but there were a number of families that were from Georgia as well.

There was a lot of borscht, and a bit of vodka and caviar too, but there is also a pretty huge variety of other stuff too: perogies (potato dumplings), pelmeni (pastry dumplings), potato everything, all kinds of vegetable stews, breads stuffed with meat,  and sashliks (skewered meat).

My village here in Korea has quite a number of workers from Uzbekistan and therefor a pretty cool Uzbeki restaurant. We often go to eat the chow over there: it's heavy, and simple, and homey, but I really enjoy it. We've been there so often that the owner (Uzbeki dude who I wouldn't be surprised to learn is some kind of local mafia) always comes out to greet us and asks about the family etc in broken English. He also gives us all sorts of service dishes along with our orders, some of them astonishingly revolting (like what appeared to be pre-digested rotted fish. I've had surstromming, but this was arguably worse...).
   It's the thought that counts though. I guess.  :undecided:
   Oh, and they keep their cooler stocked with Baltika (surprising in a place that caters to a lot of folk who are probably/maybe/oughttabe Muslim), which is pretty not bad, imho.  :azn:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:31:20 pm by kyndo »

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 12:57:58 pm »
Troika in Itaewon. Never been there but I've seen their sign.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 01:12:02 pm »
Thanks guys.  I've heard there is an excellent Uzbeki restaurant in Itaewon.  I should go try that as well. 

I've seen Troika as well.  Right above Route 66.  Would've been interesting if that set up had been there during the cold war. 

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 01:22:07 pm »
Thanks guys.  I've heard there is an excellent Uzbeki restaurant in Itaewon.  I should go try that as well. 

Lazaat, It's pretty solid, just not as good as the Uzbek restaurant in Daegu. That one is wonderful.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 02:17:15 pm »

Lazaat, It's pretty solid, just not as good as the Uzbek restaurant in Daegu. That one is wonderful.

I've seen Lazaat.  Is that the place in the original What The Book location?

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 09:55:49 am »
Perhaps it's not new information but there is a Russian area around Dongdaemun. A bunch of authentic Russian, Mongolian, Uzbek restaurants as well as grocery stores with products from these countries. Here is a random address in that neighborhood: 서울 중구 을지로6가 34-4

• fka
  • Veteran

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 10:59:41 am »
I haven't eaten there, but I've walked past this place in Yeonnam-dong a few times. Photos look good!

https://www.mangoplate.com/en/restaurants/93pPTYHOeE