Read 4064 times

• mx8
  • Explorer

• November 06, 2019, 05:11:01 am
JM English Academy and Simson Language School?
« on: November 06, 2019, 05:31:21 am »
Has anyone worked at either J.M in Songpa or Simson in Gwangjin? I've been offered contracts with both, same pay, similar benefits, slightly different hours, but I haven't seen very much about either online aside from one kinda bad review of JM. I would greatly appreciate any information!

• mx8
  • Explorer

Re: JM English Academy and Simson Language School?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 06:18:34 am »
I have taken the position with JM (fingers crossed that it's good) and I'll try to update this once I've started working there so that people in the future have some information!

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 11:32:39 am »
I have taken the position with JM (fingers crossed that it's good) and I'll try to update this once I've started working there so that people in the future have some information!

Good luck.

Are you in your home country or in Korea? 

• mx8
  • Explorer

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 03:19:19 am »

Thank you.

Currently I am in my home country, I will be heading to Korea in February and starting in March.

Good luck.

Are you in your home country or in Korea? 

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 06:39:03 am »
Sounds a bit like your ordinary Korean hakwon run by people with 0 educational acumen but whatever, I'm getting a bit beaten down lately by the never ending stream of 'suckiness' surrounding these hakwons. Not having any adult male teachers around is funest to a child's early development, but hey, what do I know, right? What do those early years matter anyhow? :rolleyes:

video
https://cafe.naver.com/jmkidsenglish/5790

All female staff
https://cafe.naver.com/jmkidsenglish/5784

infuriating detail: the Korean teachers make 2,6-2,8 mill.  ;D

ThatGuy2983
4 points

1 year ago
I used to work at JM for a year. Not worth it. The boss is a crazy lady and her mom is rather strange too. They both belong to a nearby church and will use every opportunity to try and get you i to the church. If you say no or go to a different church, they will push you out. They now only hire females (I was one of the last rounds of male teachers brought in). During my round she asked a co-teacher to work under severe medical issues and was even willing to try and take pay/other forms of payment from her in order to make her work instead of taking/sending her to the hospital which was two and a half blocks down the street(before the rest of us banded together and stated this was not acceptable). Beyond that, its micromanaged and the Korean teachers are put under so much stress, which then translates to all of the foreign teachers as well.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 07:19:34 am by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 07:41:25 pm »
Sounds a bit like your ordinary Korean hakwon run by people with 0 educational acumen but whatever, I'm getting a bit beaten down lately by the never ending stream of 'suckiness' surrounding these hakwons. Not having any adult male teachers around is funest to a child's early development, but hey, what do I know, right? What do those early years matter anyhow? :rolleyes:

video
https://cafe.naver.com/jmkidsenglish/5790

All female staff
https://cafe.naver.com/jmkidsenglish/5784

infuriating detail: the Korean teachers make 2,6-2,8 mill.  ;D

ThatGuy2983
4 points

1 year ago
I used to work at JM for a year. Not worth it. The boss is a crazy lady and her mom is rather strange too. They both belong to a nearby church and will use every opportunity to try and get you i to the church. If you say no or go to a different church, they will push you out. They now only hire females (I was one of the last rounds of male teachers brought in). During my round she asked a co-teacher to work under severe medical issues and was even willing to try and take pay/other forms of payment from her in order to make her work instead of taking/sending her to the hospital which was two and a half blocks down the street(before the rest of us banded together and stated this was not acceptable). Beyond that, its micromanaged and the Korean teachers are put under so much stress, which then translates to all of the foreign teachers as well.

I would hate working there..being the only guy.  An obvious reason some hagwons prefer females is that they are easier to push around. 

Anyway....eeekkk... .
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 07:44:05 pm by NorthStar »

• mx8
  • Explorer

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 10:32:12 am »
Yeah I did see that post on Reddit and it sounds really unfortunate but it's one of only two negative posts I've seen, both from a couple of years ago (and the other one wasn't even that bad) so I guess I'm going to have to stay hopeful (though goodness the song in that video was dreadful). I talked to two of the current teachers and both said that they aren't religious and it hasn't ever been an issue (it is a Christian school though, which is why I asked about it in the first place, but evidently that fact doesn't impact the curriculum NETs are expected to teach outside of like having students write letters to Santa).

They offered me what I was asking for and answered my litany of questions before I signed so I'm hopeful it will be a positive experience.

While I do think that no job is gendered, and schools should definitely hire men and women as teachers, most women in my experience aren't "easier to push around" and I'm certainly not so that isn't a worry. I was more concerned about blatant abuses like you hear about in some hagwons.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 01:33:17 am by mx8 »

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 10:19:50 pm »
Good to hear they're nice folks.

Northstar and I are old and grumpy and our default position is one of extreme caution. I am even farther away on that scale, recommending to only stay for a few years max., so one should have a clear goal and an exit strategy before even contemplating working at kindergarten schools in Korea.

Do tell us how things went after a few months, it might benefit future applicants as well.

All the best to you and here's hoping you will become a ♩ ♪ Promise and a Possibility ♫ ♬ like in the song!  :azn:
incumbo studiis

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 06:58:45 pm »
Good to hear they're nice folks.

Northstar and I are old and grumpy and our default position is one of extreme caution. I am even farther away on that scale, recommending to only stay for a few years max., so one should have a clear goal and an exit strategy before even contemplating working at kindergarten schools in Korea.

Do tell us how things went after a few months, it might benefit future applicants as well.

All the best to you and here's hoping you will become a ♩ ♪ Promise and a Possibility ♫ ♬ like in the song!

BUT..realistic.