Read 1513 times

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Anyone try to get on KETO here?
« on: November 05, 2019, 09:43:16 am »
Anyone try to get on the KETO diet here?  Difficult, I am assuming due to the lack of some items here?  Not impossible, but not as easy as back home?  Lot's of IHerb, etc?  I am only researching it right now.  I am not on it now. 

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: Anyone try to get on KETO here?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 10:04:27 am »
I'm on what some call "lazy keto" and have been for nearly 2 years. I was pretty strict to start with. I never did it back home, but yes I would guess it would be easier, in so far as there is a much greater variety of things that would fit into a low carb diet available. Beef is obviously stupidly priced here, not that i would eat it often anyway, but it would be nice to have the option. A lot of chicken, cabbage, broccoli, capsicum, eggs, spinach, kale, almonds and pecans, greek yogurt. Done in as many different ways as I can think of. Oven baked chicken is a good delivery option.

I've dropped 25 kg in 2 years, with a fairly low carb diet. But I've eased up on it as I was actually losing more weight then I wanted to.

I
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 10:28:07 am »
I have a couple of friends on KETO.

Yeah, they have to order a bunch of stuff online. They order mostly from iherb, coupang, and amazon.

You can find a lot of stuff here, too, but it's way more expensive.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 12:00:43 pm »
Anyone try to get on the KETO diet here?  Difficult, I am assuming due to the lack of some items here?  Not impossible, but not as easy as back home?  Lot's of IHerb, etc?  I am only researching it right now.  I am not on it now. 

A diet, whether it's KETO, Atkins, IIFYM, Banting or whatever is only going to keep working as long as you stay on it.
Could you stay on a KETO diet till the day you die?

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 12:38:31 pm »

A diet, whether it's KETO, Atkins, IIFYM, Banting or whatever is only going to keep working as long as you stay on it.
Could you stay on a KETO diet till the day you die?

Ok, the above quote was weird.   It didn't do what I wanted it to do.  I am only researching it and slowly planning for it.  I know if you don't get the right suppliments to support you, you can get weakness, fainting, certain aches, etc.  I believe electrolytes and MCT oil are essential to go along with it.  Sometimes, intermittent fasting can be done with it.  Lots of healthy fats and proteins.  Obviously, if I feel weak because, I don't do it right will make me want to get off it.  So, I'm slowly lining things up and researching it.  Not sure if I would do it till I die.  Harder to find some ingredients here.  Certain fresh vegetables as a substitute can't be ordered online.  Some suppliments and baking items (like mung fruit sugar, and keto flours - almond, coconut, etc - to make your own bread) can be ordered online.   

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 01:00:10 pm »
Most supermarkets have almond flour now.

I'd say for me, the biggest benefit of being on keto and Intermittent fasting, is i am much more conscious of what i eat and how much i eat. Even if i stop keto (and I'm much  more loose on it nowadays) i will still have the knowledge and habits i gained from it. I cant imagine eating a whole bag of chips or downing a dozen beers and getting a pizza on the way home so that i dont get a hangover, as i did from time to time in the past. Understanding that refined carbs are basically like pure sugar.

Now of course i could have gained this knowledge or these habits just by eating healthily in general. But if this is the way that i have arrived at 25kg lighter and generally feeling a lot better, then who am i or anyone else to say "oh that's a fad, that wont work etc".
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 01:11:29 pm »
I am into weight lifting and fitness and I have done several successful rounds of keto to skim off some fat during " cutting " seasons.  It's extremely easy to do here. I order most supplements through iherb. I HIGHLY recommend you buy some potassium chloride and some Himalayan pink salt to get your electrolytes. Don't fall for more expensive packets. You can get it on iherb easily.  Mixing a teaspoon of each in 2 liters of water and drinking through the day will help with the keto flu. Depending on bodyweight you will shed several pounds of body weight from water during the first few days.  This is just water that is in your body is depleted and it's not really body fat.  People do tend to get a bit carried away on Keto. They make all these things with tons of fat and think it's the keto diet. No matter what you will need to be in a calorie deficit. 

If you get really serious I'd recommend keto and doing one meal a day eating plan. If you want to learn more about the benefits of fasting I'd recommend researching a guy named Jason Fung on youtube.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 01:26:08 pm »
Thanks people.  Great advice.  I was wondering about doing exercise or even long cardio endurance on KETO.  I am still trying to get away from the notion of carbs for energy. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 01:36:12 pm »
Just checked my email.  I emailed that youtube channel to myself.  I just saw a South African friend sent me this link.  (They call Keto - Banting Diet, but same thing.)

https://realmealrevolution.com/the-books/

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 01:43:09 pm »
It will probably take your body a while to adjust but that is normal. I did one meal a day plan and moved onto one meal every two days and then one meal every three days and I felt fine as long as I got those electrolytes in. I made the mistake of not consuming them and I started to get super jittery and like I was about to faint. This is why I keep mentioning them.

Your body stores fat for a reason. All the fat on your body can be tapped into. Where people make a mistake on keto is they start making these super high-fat drinks and eating tons of fat and don't taper that off.  You will have to consume a lot of fat in the beginning but after a while, you want to taper that off so your body burns your body fat instead of the dietary fat. But I did a pretty serious hardcore plan because I opted to lose the weight quickly rather than drag it out. Some people opt to burn it at a snail's pace because its easier to keep from mentally breaking that way. I wouldn't mess with super high intense cardio though. I did super low-intensity cardio ( walking ) and got lean that way. Get a pedometer and count your steps. You will be surprised at just how many calories you can burn by walking an extra hour a day. Over a day it isn't much, but when the month ends you can see how it adds up.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 02:00:38 pm »
I do some spring and fall long distance biking.  I had always beefed up the carbs for energy.  So, for extra energy, would I need something more?  More fats or other things?  Maybe work some small amount of carbs back in temporarily?  The rest of the year, I think what you recommend makes sense and is great advice. 

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 02:48:27 pm »
For long-distance activities, I wouldn't bother worrying about carbs unless you are competing. Carbs are useful for short bursts of power because in those cases you might need a bit of muscle glycogen to help get maximum power, but that is for absolute top-end power ( something like sprinting or very intense weight lifting ). Having something like MCT oil, coconut oil, etc will give you energy without the insulin dump.  Just be aware that the fat adaption period may take a while.  It's not like you can just start eating fat and suddenly you will feel amazing. It will take some time for your body to understand how to metabolize that fat. If I were you i'd gradually increase the distances instead of jumping right into long-distance riding. 

Where most people screw up is in keeping those electrolytes balanced. Because carbs help your body store water it becomes harder to balance the proper ratio of water and potassium and sodium so you need to keep putting them back in after they get flushed out.  This is how important they are. If you were an idiot and just drank tons of plain water at one time as part of a dare you could die from not having proper electrolyte balance. This is obviously an extreme example but I talk to people all the time and they mentioned how weak they were on keto and I ask them about their electrolytes and they give me a blank stare. 

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 02:51:31 pm »
https://www.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-Potassium-Chloride-Powder-8-oz-227-g/777

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Himalania-Himalayan-Fine-Pink-Salt-6-oz-170-g/81700

of course you could buy " electrolyte powder " as well, but in my experience, they usually have super low mineral levels and are 5x the price than to just make your own.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 03:15:53 pm »
https://www.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-Potassium-Chloride-Powder-8-oz-227-g/777

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Himalania-Himalayan-Fine-Pink-Salt-6-oz-170-g/81700

of course you could buy " electrolyte powder " as well, but in my experience, they usually have super low mineral levels and are 5x the price than to just make your own.

Thanks for the advice.  Quit helpful info. 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 06:58:22 pm »
I lost 45 kg in less than one year while teaching on Jeju by...

Cutting out all processed carbohydrate foods (as well as all potatoes, pumpkin and rice).

I ate salmon with mushrooms, onions and hot peppers for brunch (no breakfast or lunch just 10am-11 am meal... hagwon not open til 2pm) Freshly squeezed lemon into herbal tea. Got my vitamin c thru the lemon and peppers.

For dinner one boiled chucken drumstick, one boiled egg, a full palmful of nuts, a palmful of sesame seeds, a couple of fresh garlic cloves and some mustard greens to combine wirh the meat garlic and egg.

For snack... one Jeju tangerine or an apple (no bananas) or a halfcup of blueberries or 6-8 strawberries.

Yes, i made such to measure/eyeball limits to quantity.

Once a month i bought a large pizza loaded with all sorts of toppings (no sweet potato or cream sauce) and DID NOT EAT THE CRUST. I either scrapped the toppings into a bowl, ate the toppings off the crust with my fingers ir used those leafy greens already cur and washed at the local supermarket to scoop toopings into and eat like the korean bbq restaurants have customers eat grilled meat and veggies.

I had the same strict diet for 10 months no orob, no cravings, really easy shopping cuz always the same... then my weightliss stalled and the last months i went full vegan and cut out the meat fish and egg and went crazy with greens onions peppers -including sweet bell peppers - and added tomatoes cucumbers and radish, and lost the last 10 pounds to get to my one year 100 lbs. target.

I celebrated... alcohol and carbs a year later... half the weight came back... ugh... oh well.. i proved to myself i could do it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 10:37:29 pm by VanIslander »

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 07:19:02 pm »
For long-distance activities, I wouldn't bother worrying about carbs unless you are competing. Carbs are useful for short bursts of power because in those cases you might need a bit of muscle glycogen to help get maximum power, but that is for absolute top-end power ( something like sprinting or very intense weight lifting ). Having something like MCT oil, coconut oil, etc will give you energy without the insulin dump.  Just be aware that the fat adaption period may take a while.  It's not like you can just start eating fat and suddenly you will feel amazing. It will take some time for your body to understand how to metabolize that fat. If I were you i'd gradually increase the distances instead of jumping right into long-distance riding. 

Where most people screw up is in keeping those electrolytes balanced. Because carbs help your body store water it becomes harder to balance the proper ratio of water and potassium and sodium so you need to keep putting them back in after they get flushed out.  This is how important they are. If you were an idiot and just drank tons of plain water at one time as part of a dare you could die from not having proper electrolyte balance. This is obviously an extreme example but I talk to people all the time and they mentioned how weak they were on keto and I ask them about their electrolytes and they give me a blank stare. 

Great advice, if you want to end up fat, constipated and increase your risk of diabetes.

Carbs are absolutely essential for everyone from athletes to people who do no training.

Simple Carbs/Sugars - These are responsible for short and immediate bursts of energy, minimize for fat loss. They can occur naturally (in fruit) or in highly concentrated and/or artificial forms, such as fizzy drinks. As long as you cut out crap, processed sugars and eat your fruit instead of drinking silly smoothies, you'll likely never exceed the amount of natural sugars you need.

Starch Carbs - The ones you really want if you need energy throughout the day, particularly slow release starch carbs. Eating
slow release carbs for breakfasts sets your appetite for the rest of the day. Moderate these according to your energy needs.

Fibrous carbs - Critical for digestion. Avoid fibre at your own risk! Fibre also helps you feel fuller for longer. Play with your starch
carb and fibre ratio according to your goals and needs. More fibre for fat loss and more starch carbs for energy throughout the day and for training.

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 08:16:51 pm »
Aristocrat, I'm sorry man but you do not have any idea what you are talking about here. Carbs are not essential. It is the only macro nutrient that is non essential. Protein and fats are essential to consume but not carbs. You also make no sense. How does not eating carbs cause diabetes? You aren't even making enough sense to warrant a dignified response to such nonsense. Not eating carbs and sugar is going to cause diabetes? That makes no sense. It will lower his insulin levels and make him more insulin sensitive. It can actually help reverse diabetes. Complete nonsense post.

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 07:40:44 am »
Here are a few of my staples for food...

Easy eggs - Buy the 30 pack of the 훈재 eggs at Homeplus or Emart (some times one has it and the other doesn't 7,990won for 30)

Chicken breast or no skin tenders - easy to cook, and I usually use some Montreal seasoning - No brand is by far the cheapest - 5,990

7-10 minute dinner - chicken breast, seasoning, cut it up with scissors (even before it is cooked, just after a minute or two), throw in some greens (I use a lot of spinach and 아욱 - mallow? great vegetable and full of good stuff), toss in some eggs and a quick mix to coat it all, cover and move around pan for about 5 minutes, open, flip, and it is a great kind of loaded eggs. I like it with hot sauce. I also wash and cut up my greens on Sunday and they are ready to just grab handfuls from the bags.

To keep my salt and fat intake up, I but the Ottogi beef bone broth in the pack. - about 1,200won per. I pour a cup and heat it, and sip on it. It is nice to have a "soupy" kind of thing.

No brand Tuna, and DonWon Salmon (which I get on sale at my local super market for 990won, otherwise not worth it)

Those 72% and 84% Cacao Chocolates that come in the little tub. Those help my keep cravings down. Every few days I eat a few.

Also, homeplus sometimes has a good deal on already cooked and prepacked Chicken breast. You can also buy individual packs of salad for 990won (more expensive, but washing all veggies and dishes gets old fast)

I log my meals every day and use the My Fitness Pal app, along with a fitbit. I make sure to hit a solid calorie deficit every day. I am usually at around 1500 a day.

Just remember find something that works and is doable. If you get burned out on preparing and doing everything, it may throw you off.

The thing that I have found most helpful is the My Fitness Pal app and fitbit. Logging your food, and tracking your progress. Keep accountable. I especially like the My Fitness Pal app because you can scan may of the barcodes and use Hangul and it will pop up with the item your eating. You don't have to track everything, they do it. It will also keep up with your goal of percentages of proteins, carbs, and fat, and then you can see in real time what your intake it if you eat this or that. I will not argue about what you can do and should do and should not do. I will say that KETO is possible here (although I am more on a low carb and calorie diet, rather than just purely KETO). I will also say good luck.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 07:54:22 am »
2 cans of beans in a pot. Add two cans of tuna and some cracked pepper and turmeric. Simmer. Divide into 4 tupperwares.

Olive oil in. Sautee some mushrooms, red peppers and carrots until browned and softened. Divvy up into the tupperwares.

Olive oil in. Two head of broccoli and an entire pack of garlic cloves. Sautee until cooked. Divvy.

8 eggs in a bowl. Whisk. Cook. Divide into quarters. Tupperware.

One small pack of baby green/sprouts. Divvy.

One vienna cheese sausage per tupperware. That's the treat.

Boom. Now you have dinnfer for M-Th.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 08:50:40 am »
Aristocrat, I'm sorry man but you do not have any idea what you are talking about here. Carbs are not essential. It is the only macro nutrient that is non essential. Protein and fats are essential to consume but not carbs. You also make no sense. How does not eating carbs cause diabetes? You aren't even making enough sense to warrant a dignified response to such nonsense. Not eating carbs and sugar is going to cause diabetes? That makes no sense. It will lower his insulin levels and make him more insulin sensitive. It can actually help reverse diabetes. Complete nonsense post.

Every vegetable is a carb, so is every fruit. You're telling me it's a good idea to go through life not eating a single fruit or vegetable?

A diet devoid of fibre will increase the risk of diabetes (I never said cause) and fibre is, guess what... a carb.