Read 3643 times

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: The crazy dance of renewal
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2019, 03:20:59 pm »
I'm surprised the Ulsan news didn't cause more of a stir here.  It went well under the radar!

What news was that?

too lazy to find the thread but, around 41 - 42 NETs in Ulsan are getting cut next year, with the money going free uniforms for all students, and for better English education training (or something) for Korean English teachers, so they don't need NETs.

Any links for news articles about this?  I have some friends in Ulsan.

https://news.v.daum.net/v/20191124173029753
The link so you don't have to go digging in the ranting thread page. (Thanks to alexisalex)

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2019, 04:03:46 pm »
Yeah I mean in reality nets are all going to go bye bye. But not until the education office stops their nepotism and bribery of using only Korean publishers for educational materials.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2019, 05:59:52 pm »
I'm surprised the Ulsan news didn't cause more of a stir here.  It went well under the radar!

What news was that?

too lazy to find the thread but, around 41 - 42 NETs in Ulsan are getting cut next year, with the money going free uniforms for all students, and for better English education training (or something) for Korean English teachers, so they don't need NETs.

Any links for news articles about this?  I have some friends in Ulsan.

https://news.v.daum.net/v/20191124173029753
The link so you don't have to go digging in the ranting thread page. (Thanks to alexisalex)
People haven't made a fuss about this probably because they just won't replace the ones who don't want to renew. According to the article they're cutting about a third of the positions. They're still keeping people around to keep parents happy. Because when they cut everyone, a few years later they hire NET's again to fill some of the schools because of parents' demands.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2019, 06:23:58 pm »
The entire spring intake got non-renewed.

I'm surprised that's only a third of the teachers.

105 remain (who may or may not get renewed this coming August and other times throughout the year).

That there are so few means there have already been drastic cuts.

In a city of 1.1 million, that's less than one NET per 10,000 inhabitants. I realize Korea's birthrate has been low, but come on. This means A LOT of Korean kids won't have any exposure at all to a native English teacher.

• Cohort 2019
  • Veteran

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2019, 01:52:47 am »
Good. People should teach back in their home countries instead of being marginalised 12.000 miles from home for being an ESL teacher in a xenophobic society.
incumbo studiis

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2019, 07:29:14 am »
Good. People should teach back in their home countries instead of being marginalised 12.000 miles from home for being an ESL teacher in a xenophobic society.

LOL wut.

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2019, 07:50:07 am »
People haven't made a fuss about this probably because they just won't replace the ones who don't want to renew.

They cut everyone who was unlucky enough to be on a February contract. So even those who wanted to stay, can't.

105 remain (who may or may not get renewed this coming August and other times throughout the year)

Yeah as the news clip below explains this is the beginning of a 'gradual reduction' by the current team in charge of the education office. The relatively new 교육감 is spearheading an 'Ulsan model" approach to English education. Despite the fact that they want to get rid of us, it seems they want to focus on speaking and listening (GETs strongest asset teaching-wise) while "strengthening" Korean English teachers' abilities. The news clip also says that while we (GETs) have our advantages, our lessons are "insufficient" and we're basically not worth the large monetary investment (having met many GETs, I do have to begrudgingly agree with them on that point :smiley:).

So even if some folks in Ulsan escaped this round of cuts, the current direction of the MOE is heading towards even more reductions in the near future. Get your ducks in a row, people. Start planning your exit strategy, if you don't already have one.

This is true.

I've seen the UMOE's records and they show that from a high point around 2010/11 there has been a slow but steady reduction in positions since 2014. I've also been living in Ulsan for over 6 years now and have seen it with my own eyes, despite there being no "official" change in policy, until now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yM7Rs5P61o

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2019, 08:43:24 am »
The entire spring intake got non-renewed.

I'm surprised that's only a third of the teachers.

105 remain (who may or may not get renewed this coming August and other times throughout the year).

In a city of 1.1 million, that's less than one NET per 10,000 inhabitants. I realize Korea's birthrate has been low, but come on. This means A LOT of Korean kids won't have any exposure at all to a native English teacher.

This is what happened in my province a couple of years back. Went from about 170 to 130 foreign teachers.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2019, 08:38:11 am »
An email was sent out to all UMOE teachers by the UMOE GET Coordinator:

Hello February Contract Teachers,
If you have received this email it is because your current contract with UMOE will be ending on February 25th, 2020. If you are completing a six-month extension contract or if you do not intend to renew with UMOE, you may disregard the following.
There have been some rumors regarding the state of UMOE contract renewals in 2020 and beyond, so for the teachers who were intending to renew their contracts in February 2020, I would like to inform you of the current situation.
As many of you may already know, the UMOE Guest English Teacher budget has been severely reduced by Ulsan city hall and as a result middle school GET positions in Ulsan have been eliminated from February 2020 onward. Unfortunately, due to the drastic nature of the budget reductions it has become unavoidable to cut GET positions here in Ulsan even further.
Therefore, I must regrettably inform you that all GETs who are on a February to February contract will not be offered a contract renewal with UMOE in 2020. To be absolutely clear about what that means, all GETs (elementary, middle and high school) whose contracts finish on February 25th, 2020 will not be able to continue working with UMOE after that date.
While the contract has never guaranteed a renewal to any of us, the MOE understands that many of you have worked hard at your school(s) with the expectation of renewing for another year and that this news may come as an unwelcome surprise. To those people I can only say that the MOE did not make this decision hastily and would of course prefer to keep enthusiastic and hardworking GETs such as yourselves in as many schools as possible. Of course it goes without saying, but despite the current budgetary issues please be assured that all the terms of the contract (bonus and severance payments) will be fulfilled at the appropriate time during the leaving process.
In light of this news I know that many of you will now be looking for other employment for next year. While some of you may opt to return home or move to another country, for the teachers who wish to remain in Korea, the MOE will be able to provide copies of the documents from your original EPIK application which are currently stored at the UMOE office (i.e. certified copies of the documents required for EPIK applications). Please contact me at this email address if you need to make an appointment to collect the certified copies. For those who wish to re-apply to EPIK with the hopes of finding employment in another region of Korea, please be aware that EPIK usually accepts applications for the Spring term until January of that year, however this can change depending on the amount of applicants, so if this is the route you wish to pursue, then sooner you submit your application, the better.
Unfortunately UMOE does not have any information regarding future intakes or renewals in Ulsan (August 2020 and onward) at this time.
I will send out another email outlining the exit process for departing teachers towards the end of the semester.
Regards,
Noah XXXXXX
UMOE GET Coordinator.

So why can't they call another province that is hiring and get them a job there?  Pretty lazy and ignorant on their part.  I'd give that damn person an earful insisting on it, especially if they waited till December to tell me. 

As for the rest of it, it is a typical pattern.  Funding cut from city hall.  That part of Korea is usually Seanuri or whatever they are calling themselves now.  But I think due to the scandal with the last President and some other scandals, the Democratic party squeaked in.  Very rare for that area.  It is the party of the left.  They have always wanted to get rid of English teachers and foreigners in general.  (Different from the stereotype of the parties in the west.)  Look to Seoul, Gyeonggi and other areas a few years ago.  It was this same party winning up there cutting foreigners.  But given the traditions in that area and the current approval rating nationally, I am guessing it will be a one term government.  Maybe the cuts will either get a reprieve or a restoring after that.  Take  western politics and flip it to a reverse.  English teachers bad.  They can't be as open as a decade ago when they were in power, but subtleties abound.  Whenever they win locally, they always try to cut us out. 

Now as for what one poster had said, he had some truth in what he said.  If you want the positions not cut and for parents to really want us, the kids have to go home and brag how much they like us.  Take some time to greet them high 5 them at lunch whatever.  Have some fun.  Also instead of slacking, make some good activities for your class.  I know many of you do, but some of you also sit around and download a ppt at the last minute. 

I can tell you, this year, I have been busy making ppts and game activities due to the text book changing.  I have not been so hard working before by my own admission.  But at all 3 elementary schools, the teachers have all commented on my hard work and diligence.  Their words not mine.  My open class, they all said they would give me 100% even if I made mistakes.  The kids scream hello at me at lunch time and the vp and principal always comment on it.  I'm not saying this to brag about myself.  I'm saying this because people notice and if more of us did this, we would not only be safe from cuts, but also be able to start pushing for a raise which will need to happen soon (Korea ain't getting any cheaper).  The truth is things are less dire than several years ago due to other countries ramping up their hiring especially if you go get a TESOL. 

As many of you know, I have uploaded a sampling of my game activities here, but not all of them.  I had a dilemma.  Do I upload my time and effort just to let others coast?  Well, I had a compromise of sorts.  I uploaded some lessons, but not all.  Honestly I have never so busy in a school year in all my time here.  But, I hope to re use the next 2 or 3 years.  I figured that by having some native speakers get some lessons, perhaps it will inspire of of you to use these templates (from me and others) and make your own and share.  I also figure if more of us go to class with great activities, then more discussion higher up about native speakers "effectiveness" will be had.  When pressure to cut or not raise wages come along, we need more people to see our value.  Many think we are lazy and ill prepared.  Some of us are. 

Don't coast on whatever you can download from here.  (I know it isn't everyone.)  Instead take these and use the best activities to scroll through your books to make your own.  Also you can adapt what I have uploaded for Cheonje and one of the YBM books for the Daekyo and other YBM elementary book.  Also, some games like telepathy, lotto, jeapardy type games are good for middle school too.  (Use the templates.) 

Scrolling through the teachers guidebooks to find vocabulary and basic expressions plus adding some of your own (for the few higher level kids) is easy enough to do.  Take the best game ppts and re edit for your book and please share.  I worked hard so I opt not to share all the stuff I have created, but have shared a sampling because it is in my own self interest if more of you go to class well prepared with good activities and also if you greet the kids a bit so they go home and brag to their parents about us.  Politicians listen to parents.  Also teachers who think we are "useful" if there are more of them can argue back against those voices who say we are not necessary. 

I have had parents in the past who spoke English tell me their kids talk about me.  I was in a rural city so it was smaller and feedback was more possible.  A few parents ran a shop and spoke some English.  Some had parents who worked at the local education office.  In bigger cities you get less feedback that way, but it is there even if you don't hear it.  Being well prepared and being perceived to be hard working in the eyes of many Koreans does earn respect.  Many have the stereotype we are lazy and entitled.  Of course there will always be unappeasable a holes.  But those voices can be overcome by having more and more people on your or our sides. 

I don't mention any of this about myself to brag.  (I have definitely had my own lazy periods in the past by my own admission.)  But, if more work hard, have good materials, are liked by the kids, it does bode well for us as I said to not be cut and to get a raise soon which we will need.  (My level 1+, renewal allowance, multiple school allowance, and occasional overtime put me into the low to middle 3.0's averaged out per month.  But even I will soon find it too expensive.  Will want a raise soon.  Many of the rest of you will need one yesterday.)  Not only do we need not to be cut but to get a raise.  Honestly, if one doesn't come in the next year or two, I may have to switch countries. 

Anyways, Korea is not the only gig in town anymore.  If I were offered a job of 2.1 to 2.3 which are 2007 wages, I'd walk away.  Other countries pay that and have a much cheaper living cost meaning you can save much more money.  I took 2.1 million a month which was 2.9 million in todays wages when I was young.  With inflation I have only had a small raise, but that is slowly being chipped away at.  I know my worth and wouldn't accept any less.  I work hard and am fun for the kids.  Pay me what I'm worth or go pound sand.  Sorry to get off on a tangent.  Sorry some of you guys are getting cut.  You should ride the recruiter for giving you last minute notice and argue with them stubbornly insisting they find you another job there or in another province.  Also make sure you tell your students who speak English you won't be there next year because the new Democratic party Mayor cut the funding for you.  (Hopefully the kids will go home and tell their parents.  Might not save you but may cause spending to ramp up again soon for others.)  Get the D10 Visa and try to keep your accomodation for a couple of months when done.  Hang out finish your deeds here and go to Vietnam or China make some more money too.  Good luck. 

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2019, 08:50:17 am »
So why can't they call another province that is hiring and get them a job there?  Pretty lazy and ignorant on their part. 

Ulsan is a metropolitan city.  It'd be like Busan reducing their teacher numbers and asking Gyeongsan-nam do, if they want them, knowing that Gyeongsan-nam has already reduced their native teacher numbers.  Wishful thinking.  Metropolitans and provinces don't have that kind of discourse.  Living in a province that did these whole merry-go-round firings five years ago, I'm surprised that people are still amazed that this happens.  Other provinces did this yonks ago.   

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2019, 09:35:38 am »
So why can't they call another province that is hiring and get them a job there?  Pretty lazy and ignorant on their part. 

Ulsan is a metropolitan city.  It'd be like Busan reducing their teacher numbers and asking Gyeongsan-nam do, if they want them, knowing that Gyeongsan-nam has already reduced their native teacher numbers.  Wishful thinking.  Metropolitans and provinces don't have that kind of discourse.  Living in a province that did these whole merry-go-round firings five years ago, I'm surprised that people are still amazed that this happens.  Other provinces did this yonks ago.   

A lot of people think that the big cities are part of the province. They are completely separate entities. Culturally, linguistically, yeah, Daegu is Gyeongsang.

But in any sort of meaningful administrative way............ Completely seperate.

Some people tell me that Seoul is in Gyeonggi-do and................ no. I mean, physically, yeah. haha, It's WITHIN the province but they have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

My city kakao group chat were talking about this recently. My friend has a friend that lives in HBC........... and she writes Gyeonggi-do in her address. Like.................. wot? She said that her landlord told her to write it like that.

She gets her mail fine, but only because the post office people aren't morons, haha. 
The joys of fauxtherhood

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2019, 02:08:42 pm »
They still fall under the EPIK umbrella.  Also, don't you think Korean teachers would prefer a teacher who's taught in Korea already rather than a newbie?  I mean do you think the K teachers like having to hold the hand and translate a lot for a new teacher?  Do you think they enjoy going to the cell phone shop to help them get a phone contract and other such things?  A teacher already in Korea and partially set up would be easier for them.  I really am surprised the teachers themselves don't tell EPIK to send them an experienced teacher to avoid this hassle.  All EPIK has to do is see which province has a surplus due to cutbacks and transfer them elsewhere.  Also, it saves them interview time and having to do more paperwork.  Common sense need not apply in Korea.  Why keep it simple when you can just jump through hoops and make more work for yourself?  Dumb!   

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2019, 02:35:40 pm »
They still fall under the EPIK umbrella.  Also, don't you think Korean teachers would prefer a teacher who's taught in Korea already rather than a newbie?  I mean do you think the K teachers like having to hold the hand and translate a lot for a new teacher?  Do you think they enjoy going to the cell phone shop to help them get a phone contract and other such things?  A teacher already in Korea and partially set up would be easier for them.  I really am surprised the teachers themselves don't tell EPIK to send them an experienced teacher to avoid this hassle.  All EPIK has to do is see which province has a surplus due to cutbacks and transfer them elsewhere.  Also, it saves them interview time and having to do more paperwork.  Common sense need not apply in Korea.  Why keep it simple when you can just jump through hoops and make more work for yourself?  Dumb!   

:police: I have been teaching here for 7 years. I have not left. It has been unbroken, save for the odd vacation. I live here.

:shocked: WeLl, we StILl NeEd 2 SeE yOuR uNi dEgReE anD yoUR CrIMiNAl RecOrd cHeCk.

I don't understand this. Every damn year. Immigration should have a thing in our records. I can't fukking UNgraduate uni. I am a graduate. Always will be. And if I've lived here continuously, then how the hell could I get a criminal record in Canada? Cuz, you know............ I'd be here. And even if I went back for a week and murdered someone...........

THAT'S WHAT EXTRADITION IS FOR. I'd be sent back the MOMENT I was requested by the Canadian government.

I WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEONE WHO HAS GRADUATED UNI.

The joys of fauxtherhood

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2019, 02:51:49 pm »

:police: I have been teaching here for 7 years. I have not left. It has been unbroken, save for the odd vacation. I live here.

:shocked: WeLl, we StILl NeEd 2 SeE yOuR uNi dEgReE anD yoUR CrIMiNAl RecOrd cHeCk.

I don't understand this. Every damn year. Immigration should have a thing in our records. I can't fukking UNgraduate uni. I am a graduate. Always will be. And if I've lived here continuously, then how the hell could I get a criminal record in Canada? Cuz, you know............ I'd be here. And even if I went back for a week and murdered someone...........

THAT'S WHAT EXTRADITION IS FOR. I'd be sent back the MOMENT I was requested by the Canadian government.

Logic and Korea go together like Oil and Water.  Think I have been asked a couple of times. But a few years ago I got another copy of degree, transcripts, and criminal check.  This time the Provincial Education Office kept it themselves.  So,now they have it on record.  They shouldn't have to ask me anymore.  (But, knock on wood.) 

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2019, 03:03:56 pm »

Right, so get a t-shirt printed every year with your Fine Arts graduation certificate on it.  Or better still get a tattoo on your back of your Fine Arts graduation certificate that the Canadian Embassy has notorised somehow.  Then on your forehead get a tattoo saying 'Not committed a crime anywhere for _____ days', making sure to update the numbers each day.  Seriously, you'll thank me in the long run for how much less hassle you'll get as the years roll by.  But make sure you leave before you get a wrinkly back and you're left with a F Arts graduation certificate.  No one wants to see that. 

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2019, 03:55:46 pm »

I think, that Korean staff loves having a newbie....easy to bully, push around and take advantage of.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2019, 07:18:10 pm »
Also, don't you think Korean teachers would prefer a teacher who's taught in Korea already rather than a newbie?  I mean do you think the K teachers like having to hold the hand and translate a lot for a new teacher? 
they probably want someone who will do what they're told without asking too many questions or fighting back, so somebody new to korea/teaching. and someone they can pay a lower wage

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2019, 12:44:21 pm »

I think, that Korean staff loves having a newbie....easy to bully, push around and take advantage of.

I can tell you my schools love not having to hold my hand and translate for me everywhere, help me get a phone, going to immigration, medical check, getting them to speak with my landlord, or even having to find a place for the foreign teacher.  But some teachers like taking on the extra work.  The Korean teachers on the ground would be making more work for themselves if they changed the teacher often.  But the education office may selfishly not care.  More K teachers should push back against that.  Experienced teachers can be much more independant and do many things themselves and don't need their hand held.    As for a lower wage, anyone who comes here for 2.1 young or old is a moron and lacking in too many brain cells.  With the exchange rate, you won't pay off your student loans very quickly with that.  (But, I guess they don't teach math or numbers in school anymore.)

• Cohort 2019
  • Veteran

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2019, 01:04:27 am »
independant

Why did you Trump-autocorrect that?

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:33:26 am by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis