• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: The crazy dance of renewal
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2019, 01:00:59 pm »
independant

Why did you Trump-autocorrect that?

Are you an asshole?    Typing fast and misspelling a word no one except you gives a shit about.  Quit trolling.  Typical arrogant leftist picking apart one word and assuming everyone except him is dumb. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2019, 01:03:59 pm »
Anyways, EPIK should find you another position.  The Democratic party won there and they always seem to cut the positions whenever they take over local government.  The other party seems more foreign friendly.  It's rare for them to win in that part of the country.  So, positions may be restored someday. 

Check the China job board.  Some good paying jobs listed over on Daves.  Guess, it's what I'd do if I got laid off and may still do if they don't raise the salaries in the next 2 to 3 years.  (Getting too expensive here.)

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2019, 08:41:38 pm »
(Getting too expensive here.)

Bananas, potatoes and tomatoes in Seoul were the most expensive in the world, oranges and apples were the second most expensive, while beef was the third most expensive. Prices of lettuce and onions (fifth), cheese (sixth) and milk (seventh) were also high.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2019/09/17/2019091701287.html

"A standard farm in the U.S. measures 185 hectares, but they are only 1.5 hectares in Korea."

But Korea's retail market structure is also more complicated, with middlemen often getting in the way of fair prices. In foreign countries, large farms sell products directly to retailers, but the Korean market for fresh produce is still dominated by wholesale merchants.

Kim Hyeon-seok at Seoul National University said, "Large businesses handle production and distribution in foreign countries, thereby achieving an economy of scale, but the Korean market is still small, while some products like Korean beef are kept expensive by simply pitching the home brand premium."

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2019, 10:16:20 pm »

independant

Are you an asshole?    Typing fast and misspelling a word no one except you gives a shit about.  Quit trolling.  Typical arrogant leftist picking apart one word and assuming everyone except him is dumb.

lol...

Just wondering because you teach English...

:azn:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 10:21:17 pm by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2019, 01:15:54 pm »
There are places in the world with more expensive beef than Korea???  :huh: :huh: :huh:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2019, 01:22:27 pm »
There are places in the world with more expensive beef than Korea???  :huh: :huh: :huh:

Pitcairn Islands.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2019, 02:25:56 pm »

Pitcairn Islands.

Speaking of beef in Korea.....WTF is up with Emart?

The Emart where I am at, provides these really attractive, well marbled cuts of Korean beef (which, nobody in the world really cares about, in terms of quality) but yet, when it comes to the foreign beef, they are packaged as a sloppy after thought. 

I asked them as to why this is....nothing..the workers pretend to be aloof. 

I asked to have a certain cut, but with some Aussie beef...eyes glaze over, the Korean stare commences. 

FFS

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 02:30:13 pm by NorthStar »

« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2019, 03:19:32 pm »
Kim Hyeon-seok at Seoul National University said, "Large businesses handle production and distribution in foreign countries, thereby achieving an economy of scale, but the Korean market is still small, while some products like Korean beef are kept expensive by simply pitching the home brand premium."[/font]

Yeah, have to say that a lot of folks here truly believe that Korean beef is superior to all other beef. Despite having lived here for years, I'm constantly being asked how good Korean beef is, and, honestly, I've had much better in Texas.

Korean beef is just like any other local beef, and it varies in quality just as much as it does anywhere else. Wagyu beef is worlds better than even the highest quality Korean beef I've had, though. But I'll never tell a non-family Korean that, lol.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 03:21:24 pm by Chinguetti »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2019, 03:33:48 pm »
Pitcairn Islands.
After extensive wikiing of the Pitcairn and Norfolk Islands, I am now an expert on all things Pitcairnian. I owe all of this to you, CO2. Thank you so much.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2019, 03:33:57 pm »
"korean beef is best beef"

> proceeds to overcook it on the bbq and slather it in an overpowering sauce, so you can't actually taste the beef

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2019, 05:17:17 pm »
"korean beef is best beef"

> proceeds to overcook it on the bbq and slather it in an overpowering sauce, so you can't actually taste the beef

Had hanwoo last night. Gf bought it. 8만원.

I cooked it. Haha no black marks. Cook it on the coals, let it get nice and brown with some 마야드 and done.

This isn't to say that my gf can't cook beef, but man, I like to take the reins in that one. She don't mind, makes her night easier.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2019, 01:50:23 pm »

independant

lol...

Just wondering because you teach English...

:azn:

Just wondering if being obnoxious makes you popular. 

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2019, 05:45:08 pm »
That one is not just a word. It's the name of the most important holiday of the US. and it plays a major part in US. culture and philosophy.  It is just really weird you misspelled that word, making me think you have taught it as such for the past few decades that you have been a teacher in Korea.

incumbo studiis

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2019, 08:37:22 am »
That one is not just a word. It's the name of the most important holiday of the US. and it plays a major part in US. culture and philosophy.  It is just really weird you misspelled that word, making me think you have taught it as such for the past few decades that you have been a teacher in Korea.

Only geeks and nerds care if a word gets misspelled once in a while.    By the way 'misspelled' was autocorrected by windows spell check.  You got OCD or something. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2019, 08:47:19 am »
I don't think Hangook is American, so it probably isn't quite as huge a deal for him as it would be for you. Also, as a non USAer, he probably wouldn't be teaching about Independence day to his students, so they dodged that bullet.  :smiley:

Only geeks and nerds care if a word gets misspelled once in a while.
And English teachers. We care.
    Incorrect grammar gets the lash, misspelt words get a caning, textese gets a half-day in the stocks, and improper punctuation gets you a month of being forced to moderate political threads on Waygook.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2019, 10:38:43 am »

wtf are you talking about. this post belongs on https://www.reddit.com/r/ShitAmericansSay/

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2020, 11:31:56 am »
I was telling a friend about how I came into work with no contract and I was like "Do I work here?"  Even asked the Headteacher this and she was like yeah. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2020, 08:45:44 pm »
Year-long contracts are basically to enslave the workforce and keep them on their toes.

There may be some truth in that. I once worked at a private middle school where most of the Korean teachers were on one year contracts. I soon realised that beneath the calm surface, there was tension in the staffroom. The Korean teachers themselves were going through "the crazy dance of renewal," and were anxious about the future and hanging on the principal's every word, in the hope of impressing him. The thing was that very few of them got tenure. Indeed, a Korean teacher would have to go through 4 one year contracts before tenure was even possible. I heard that one co-teacher had been there 4 years, was offered a fifth one year contract and then fired. That happened to other people too.

The thing is that Korean teachers who don't get tenure don't get the full benefits of the job. I'm guessing that all these one year salaries might mean they are on a lower pay scale, but I don't know for sure. The result is tension, embitterment and an inability to plan for the long-term.

At least we foreigners usually gt a free apartment. That's one of decreasing number of things that makes teaching here worthwhile.