Read 1172 times

Re: The crazy dance of renewal
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2019, 02:07:16 pm »
By the way TOTALLY OFF TOPIC.  But let's say your school is liiiiike "Nah we good, we don't need you anymore."  And you are okay with that and ready to leave Korea but instead want to have some Fun-employment FUN  is it okay to stay till your visa expires and then take that exit allowance home or do you have to go home when your school buys the ticket that says you have to go.  I was wondering if there was a way to ask the school if they could just book your flight a few days before your visa officially expires.  Just thoughts.  Wanted to know if anyone has or knows someone who has done that. :wink:

I think you have to leave Korea within 10 days of your contract end date to get the exit allowance.  If you stay longer than that, you can't get the allowance.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2019, 03:02:12 pm »
at my old public school, the principal wanted to let go two of the native teachers (new principal- he hated english, and wanted to save money, i guess). but he refused to tell them until 2 weeks before the end of their contracts because he was afraid they wouldn't work as hard. this meant they'd be unable to find new jobs for the new semester, starting in march. one of the teachers had worked at that school for over 10 years...

The principal is your senior, not your employer. EPIK NETs are employed by the POE/MOE.

He doesn't fire you, the POE/MOE does. What he can do is give you a bad score on your renewal form and/or request that you be transfered. Either way, he/she needs to explain why.

Which part are you arguing with me about? Neither of those 2 teachers I mentioned were employed by the MOE - they were hired directly by the school

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 12:57:19 am »
Toughen up, Lads, as foreign contract labor, you're nothing here.

The Koreans really don't want you here.

Take your money and run.  Don't look back in the mirror.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 08:36:20 am »
Aren't they suppose to give more notice than that?  At least one or two months?  The EPIK contract says two months notice or is it just practice from many.  That principal giving two weeks notice had better have given extra compensation since it left you little time to look for another job.  I would have sat in his office screaming my lungs out at the prick if it were done at me.  I wouldn't have left till I got an extra payoff to compensate me while being unemployed due to his devious behaviour.  He'd know who the Alpha is in this situation (not saying I am in all situations, though). 

Really?  So, when the principle calls the police, telling them he has no idea why you are acting like a crazy foreigner, what will you do then?

Then, tell them, he's lying if he claims to have idea why you're pissed.  You have every right to be pissed with two weeks notice.  Cops here have no power.  Just keep repeating your version of events over and over again.  Never change your story or cave under pressure.  You either have a backbone or you don't.  I treat people with respect and I demand it in return.  You don't want to renew me?  Fine.  Give me two months notice so I can pack up my belongings and find another job.  Stab me in the back at the last minute and face me down.  As long as I'm not being physically violent, there's nothing that can be done about it.  Stick up for yourself or be a *****.  That's up to you.  I wouldn't put up with that level of disrespect myself.  But to each their own.  It's why some hakwons can still pull this 2.1 garbage, because there are pussies out there who would accept it.  If more foreigners stuck together with backbone, that wouldn't happen either.  Thankfully, the shortages are pushing some to raise their wages.  But, that's for another topic.

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2019, 10:55:09 am »
Toughen up, Lads, as foreign contract labor, you're nothing here.

This pretty much sums it up. The contract is clear, no one is "owed" a renewal, even if you've been here ages.

Make sure and have an exit strategy.

Even if your school/co-workers/principal loves you we'll be the first to go when the belt tightens. And it will tighten.