Read 1173 times

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
The crazy dance of renewal
« on: November 05, 2019, 12:50:17 am »

Year-long contracts are basically to enslave the workforce and keep them on their toes.

Because every year a farcical scenario is created whereby the employee and employer play mind games leading up to the renewal or termination date.
If you are a teacher that wants to renew, then you basically have to approach your boss like you're trying pull a member of the opposite sex at a night club. careful now! Don't appear too keen! Dress smart, make them laugh. Be amusing company. They have options, remember! They can easy get the phone numbers of other waygook teachers! Just act normal. Don't be the first to bring up the topic of renewal, you will look desperate! let them be the ones, it gives you more bargaining power.

Its just madness. teaching jobs should be considered as indefinite. I mean surely the employer and employee can simply give notice whenever they want to terminate the employment at any time? Why does it have to be this ridiculous renew-or-not performance every year? Its not just esl, this disease is making inroads into all kinds of jobs.
Catch my drift?

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
Re: The crazy dance of renewal
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 08:04:01 am »
What I dislike is how long they make you wait until you find out what their decision is. Like I know, in the case of EPIK schools, they have to wait to hear from the MOE/POE before they can make a decision. BUT as soon as that decision is made it would be nice to just verbally let the NET know what's going on. I don't like waiting for paperwork to be ready to tell me the answer when they can easily just be like "here's our decision. paperwork will follow".

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 08:09:11 am »
at my old public school, the principal wanted to let go two of the native teachers (new principal- he hated english, and wanted to save money, i guess). but he refused to tell them until 2 weeks before the end of their contracts because he was afraid they wouldn't work as hard. this meant they'd be unable to find new jobs for the new semester, starting in march. one of the teachers had worked at that school for over 10 years...

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 08:45:19 am »
My current school after my first year I asked my Coteacher, “Would the school prefer me to renew or do they want a new net?”.  I genuinely was curious as I couldn’t really tell how they felt. My Coteacher replied, “it doesn’t matter.” I just started my fourth and final contract at this school. :/

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 09:46:33 am »
What I dislike is how long they make you wait until you find out what their decision is. Like I know, in the case of EPIK schools, they have to wait to hear from the MOE/POE before they can make a decision. BUT as soon as that decision is made it would be nice to just verbally let the NET know what's going on. I don't like waiting for paperwork to be ready to tell me the answer when they can easily just be like "here's our decision. paperwork will follow".

OMG I'm so glad I'm not the only one doing this mental limbo either.  From an old check list I got from my first EPIK Orientation it's suppose to follow as such

Aug-  Let your school know you have an intention of staying another year.
Oct- The school will do a private evaluation of you (behavior, attendance, did you get along with other people who weren't your co-teacher)
Nov.- I think they are suppose to give you the form for you to renew but this isn't a guarantee.  It's just signing you intention.
Dec. -  Need to see if they have a budget for you, if not then even though you sign the intention to renew form you can't continue at the school as they have no budget.
Jan. - I think by now this time everyone should know
Feb. - Should know by now!

If I can remember correctly I ended up losing the budget for my first school in Jan. and was quickly placed at my new school in Feb.  So  it can happen fast.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 10:43:19 am »
at my old public school, the principal wanted to let go two of the native teachers (new principal- he hated english, and wanted to save money, i guess). but he refused to tell them until 2 weeks before the end of their contracts because he was afraid they wouldn't work as hard. this meant they'd be unable to find new jobs for the new semester, starting in march. one of the teachers had worked at that school for over 10 years...

Aren't they suppose to give more notice than that?  At least one or two months?  The EPIK contract says two months notice or is it just practice from many.  That principal giving two weeks notice had better have given extra compensation since it left you little time to look for another job.  I would have sat in his office screaming my lungs out at the prick if it were done at me.  I wouldn't have left till I got an extra payoff to compensate me while being unemployed due to his devious behaviour.  He'd know who the Alpha is in this situation (not saying I am in all situations, though). 

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 12:21:26 pm »
Aren't they suppose to give more notice than that?  At least one or two months?  The EPIK contract says two months notice or is it just practice from many.  That principal giving two weeks notice had better have given extra compensation since it left you little time to look for another job.  I would have sat in his office screaming my lungs out at the prick if it were done at me.  I wouldn't have left till I got an extra payoff to compensate me while being unemployed due to his devious behaviour.  He'd know who the Alpha is in this situation (not saying I am in all situations, though). 

Really?  So, when the principle calls the police, telling them he has no idea why you are acting like a crazy foreigner, what will you do then?

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 12:24:06 pm »
It's all a power play by low-brow low self-esteem people who get perverse pleasure over lording it over anybody. Male castrato principals are quite possibly on the receiving end every time they set foot in their house and see the wife.

As for female principals, the worst boss I ever had in Korea was a first year female principal on a huge power trip. She grossed me out one time too many and I calmly walked into her office and told her I quit, effective immediately, and I was writing to the local office of ed. and the provincial one and spilling.

She sputtered about the contract and crap but was already speaking to my back. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 12:33:22 pm »

those two weren't EPIK, they were direct hires. i was with EPIK and got 2 months notice that i wasn't being renewwed (the principal decided to opt-out of having any native teachers...which was weird, as it was an english-orientated school. i bet the parents were pissed).

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 12:35:23 pm »
It's all a power play by low-brow low self-esteem people who get perverse pleasure over lording it over anybody. Male castrato principals are quite possibly on the receiving end every time they set foot in their house and see the wife.

As for female principals, the worst boss I ever had in Korea was a first year female principal on a huge power trip. She grossed me out one time too many and I calmly walked into her office and told her I quit, effective immediately, and I was writing to the local office of ed. and the provincial one and spilling.

My worst bosses/directors/principles have been females....

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 12:36:45 pm »

Yeah for us, it's two months notice.  For them....a few days before the new semester starts IT SEEMS LIKE IT.  That's why I'm wonder if I should stay one more year or go this year.  This back and forth thing drives me mad.

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• Anseong
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 12:38:57 pm »
Last year everything for renewing happened really fast for me and pretty early (I think they asked me about staying and got me the paperwork all in October). I think they were surprised because they've had a new NET every year for the 3 years before I got here.

But this year has been completely different. The way they approached me about renewal was totally different and my co made a point to mention the staff would be meeting to decide if they want to renew me or not. Being that last year they were just like "what do you wanna do?" I had a feeling I wasn't going to be renewed. There are a lot of factors that could have made them decide to get a new teacher, the 2 that stick out to me are that I'm married to a Korean now and my salary would be increasing again being that it would have been my third year. (Since I got married there has been an overall change at my school so that's why I think it could be a reason or part of the reason) So I asked to be told what the decision was as soon as the meeting was held because I have a lot of stuff to do to prepare for next year. 2 weeks go by with not a word. So I asked again and basically was like "I'm not going back to America so you have to let me know so I have time to prepare". So the next week I got an answer and they decided not to renew me.

I don't really care one way or another if I'm renewed or not, that's not the point. The point is I shouldn't have to wait until they're comfortable telling me their decision when it affects my future. And especially when I'm not single and able to just move wherever; my husband doesn't want to, nor should he have to, leave his job. And it's crazy that I had to explain that to the school just so they'd give me a simple answer to something that's pretty important. There is no legitimate reason they should wait so long to let people know whether they will have a job or not, especially when it also means you might not have a place to live as well.

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• Anseong
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 12:42:13 pm »

My principal is a woman, but she's been at this a very long time. She was alright last year, but she's retiring at the end of this year and has been a lot more passive and downright absent a lot this year.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 12:45:42 pm »
Aren't they suppose to give more notice than that?  At least one or two months?  The EPIK contract says two months notice

That's about the NET giving notice to the school. About the school giving advance notice to the NET, well, they don't have to. Nothing in the contract about that.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 12:46:12 pm »

The principal is your senior, not your employer. EPIK NETs are employed by the POE/MOE.

He doesn't fire you, the POE/MOE does. What he can do is give you a bad score on your renewal form and/or request that you be transfered. Either way, he/she needs to explain why.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2019, 12:46:32 pm »

I got lucky, for years the principal was always an old man 1 year away from retirement. The very picture of a person who just doesn't care. Relaxed.......

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2019, 12:56:13 pm »

The principal is your senior, not your employer. EPIK NETs are employed by the POE/MOE.

He doesn't fire you, the POE/MOE does. What he can do is give you a bad score on your renewal form and/or request that you be transfered. Either way, he/she needs to explain why.

Right.......like the POE or MOE will keep a NET in a school when the principal wants you gone.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2019, 01:17:33 pm »
Aren't they suppose to give more notice than that?  At least one or two months?  The EPIK contract says two months notice

That's about the NET giving notice to the school. About the school giving advance notice to the NET, well, they don't have to. Nothing in the contract about that.

I believe that also applies to them in regards to us.  I wouldn't accept two weeks notice.  They would have to renew me or compensate me.  I would expect a free month of rent after the contract in the apartment if they gave me two weeks notice at the least. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2019, 01:40:22 pm »
But the contract says nothing about the school's (or education office's) obligation to inform the NET ahead of time regarding the renewal status. So how could you force them to renew or compensate you for the last minute informing. Legally they don't have to. So they wouldn't.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2019, 01:54:05 pm »
By the way TOTALLY OFF TOPIC.  But let's say your school is liiiiike "Nah we good, we don't need you anymore."  And you are okay with that and ready to leave Korea but instead want to have some Fun-employment FUN  is it okay to stay till your visa expires and then take that exit allowance home or do you have to go home when your school buys the ticket that says you have to go.  I was wondering if there was a way to ask the school if they could just book your flight a few days before your visa officially expires.  Just thoughts.  Wanted to know if anyone has or knows someone who has done that. :wink: