Read 1039 times

Self evaluation for contract renewal
« on: November 04, 2019, 12:00:29 pm »
This is brand new (at least for Busan).  Along with the standard contract renewal application form, we now have to complete a self evaluation essay.

"Please TYPE your answers & give specific examples"

Professionalism (attendance, punctuality, work ethics, personal qualities, etc.)
Teaching & Researching Ability (lesson planning, lesson delivery, teaching materials, student  satisfaction, etc.) 
Co-teaching
Reason(s) for Renewing
Personal Goals for the Next Contract

Is this in place for any other provinces?  I wonder why they've added this.

Re: Self evaluation for contract renewal
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 12:35:52 pm »
In my province we only do a self-evaluation for the first evaluation period, 3 months after the contract starts. The contract renewal evaluation does not have any self-evaluation things, but more things you and/or your coteachers want to work on or improve.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 04:31:21 pm »
do they still get the students to evaluate you as a teacher?"

i got really low marks because of comments like this:

"i dont like oglop teacher. he no give candy. no jam"
"english not funny. i want watch movies"
"teacher shouted at me one time. i dont like teacher"

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 05:02:25 pm »
i got really low marks

At a public school? And then were not renewed because of that?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 09:42:10 pm »
i got really low marks

At a public school? And then were not renewed because of that?
Nah, I was renewed but I skimmed through the papers before submitting them, so I saw the scores. Not sure what happened after that. Just wondered if it's still a thing, as it was as dumb as shit

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 07:50:03 am »
We still have the student evaluations twice a year

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 10:51:04 am »
Kids love me.  So no worries there.  Fun games and lots of jam.  High fives galore and goofiness.  Overall, I'll never fail a student evaluation.  (Maybe one or two kids will be the outlier.)  I actually am lucky enough to like kids.  I think many native speakers don't?  I've heard of many who just sit at their desk mostly? 

Most schools, I've worked especially elementary and many middle schools liked it that kids liked me.  But , a couple of conservative butthole middle schools over the years didn't care about that metric and just wanted to complain non stop to the education office.  Bunch of uptight twats.  They were stuck in a timewarp 20 years ago where everyone was uptight and serious. 

So, bad schools do exist.  My experience is mostly good schools and most of them like a fun outgoing teacher with the kids with fun activities.  (...and no I don't dance in front of the class like a monkey as I've seen in some bad esl videos.) 

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 11:10:17 am »
Having students evaluate teachers is nuts. It's nothing more than a popularity contest for the most part. Your record backs up whether you can teach or not.

My last teaching job I had 25 students. 24 passed their IGCSE exam. 6 applied for university abroad and all were accepted, 3 of whom won full scholarships. One of them to Korea, 2 to Hungary. The other 3 came from very wealthy families and didn't apply for scholarships.

Ergo, I can teach.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 03:06:41 pm »
We still have the student evaluations twice a year
Utter madness

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 03:26:45 pm »
Yep, even at public school the kids do evaluate us.  At my travel school my kids that I only see twice a week, each a different grade, say things like "English is no fun!"  Despite the fact that we ALWAYS MAKE GAMES, we always do craft project and we rarely have them pick up the pencil or even crack up their text book. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 04:11:23 pm »
At public school the kids evaluate us four times a year. Summer and winter English camps get evaluations, too. That's why they should be "fun".

Just as I got to reading the last question on the stack of evaluation forms I saw laying on the English room windowsill - "Is there anything else you would like to tell your native teacher?" - my boss walked into the room, barking in an accusatory manner, "Hey! What are you doing?"

Me: "I'm reading the student feedback, so I can see where to improve as a teacher."

Boss: "Those are private. They're not for you to see."

Me: "But students didn't write their names on these. They're anonymous."

Boss: "It doesn't matter. Those are for the education office, not you."

Me: ":sad:"

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 04:27:16 pm »
The next day:

Boss: "Some students complained about your teaching."

Me: "Some students or a student?"

Because he had seen me with the evaluation forms the day prior he admitted it was just one student, but said that was enough that I would have to change the way I teach.

Why is he so concerned with the evaluations of me? My guess is he thinks a low NET evaluation could potentially reflect poorly on him / lead to a penalty, whereas a high NET evaluation could potentially make him look good / lead to a reward ... because he's the person in charge of overseeing the NET.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 05:57:22 pm »
The next day:

Boss: "Some students complained about your teaching."

Me: "Some students or a student?"

Because he had seen me with the evaluation forms the day prior he admitted it was just one student, but said that was enough that I would have to change the way I teach.

Why is he so concerned with the evaluations of me? My guess is he thinks a low NET evaluation could potentially reflect poorly on him / lead to a penalty, whereas a high NET evaluation could potentially make him look good / lead to a reward ... because he's the person in charge of overseeing the NET.

Me:  OK Boss, show me how its done.  Allow me to evaluate your class so I can learn from you.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 06:13:09 pm »
in most sane countries, you'd have either an outside body come in an evaluate your class (such as OFSTED in the UK) or at least a trained professional in your school (who has teacher training experience) come and evaluate your class

in korea? nah, let parents who can't speak english and 8 year old kids do it

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 09:19:43 pm »
in most sane countries, you'd have either an outside body come in an evaluate your class (such as OFSTED in the UK) or at least a trained professional in your school (who has teacher training experience) come and evaluate your class

...true that.

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 07:23:20 am »

Oh god if it wasn't true I'd laugh, but I'll cry instead  :cry:
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 07:54:23 am »
I've never seen any of these evaluations, if they're even being done at my school. With the open classes I've had, I could see the teachers that came to observe filling out papers, but parents NEVER attend my open classes (they're invited they just don't care to show up, but they'll sure as hell come observe the computer programming after school class). But it's more than the paper feedback, I'm rarely if ever given even verbal feedback. I've asked for it too! I want to know if they think I'm doing a bad job, even if it comes from a homeroom teacher with the English level of a kindergartner.

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 09:39:31 am »
Ive seen my student evaluations when Ive asked for them. Ive taught middle and elementary....I hated elementary, but my students loved me and the vice principal wanted me to stay....I would have actually after they asked me to stay but I was getting married and moving to a bigger city. That coteacher didn't know I should be shown the evaluations, but after I asked, he organized and provided a nice little packet of the student comments and translated everything for me.

My other schools..I guess it's the opinion of the coteachers that we don't really need that information...whether good intent or bad....but have produced the results when asked

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 09:54:28 am »
I've seen my student evaluations when I've asked for them.

If it is the 교원평가 (Teacher Evaluation) that teachers volunteer to do or are made to do by the principal, and then if you have access to your NEIS, then you can check yourself.  Usually, around now, the teachers submit their kind of mission statement on NEIS and then the students and their parents can rate you and also write comments.  Then that information is easily available on NEIS after a certain date and you can log in yourself and check.