Read 840 times

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
I was in Gapyeong years ago, visiting a friend who was leaving Korea. A bunch of friends headed out there and we got a guesthouse.

So, we're slummin' it through  the vibrant metropolis of Gapyeong and our beer addled brains decide it's time for Noraebang. We wander sround and we find one, looks clean, modern, great.

It's a bit busy so the ajumma tells us to come back in half an hour and she'll have a room. Grand. We go to CU, grab a beer and wait it out. There's NOTHING to do so we have all the energy and effort in the world to keep an eye on the time.

We come back, super punctual.

:-* 아, 안녕 하세요.  :lipsrsealed: 노래실 없어요.............

:police: 뭐? 왜요?  >:(

:-* ㅎㅎ,  sorry!

>:( Sorry?  맞아, 소리

:-* ----->  :shocked:

Man, the ajumma didn't know whether to be pissed or amazed. She had a look at having been wrecked by some young wayg and also a little pissed, but ultimately realised that she'd said there'd be a room, we were on time and she fell short of her promise.

We promptly went back to the CU. 
The joys of fauxtherhood

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
My Korean ability is, without a doubt, getting worse and worse. Can't remember the last time I studied. Basically accepted I'll always be shit at Korean

I once ordered a pizza with no toppings other than cheese.  :wink:
Who is here in 2019?

How's bragging camp going?  :P

Savage.

Uhhh, I use one of the discount telecoms, so they don't have any physical offices - you just have to call in for any customer service stuff, and there's zero option of getting English service.

Anyways, I needed to change my plan, switch my card, and register a new phone I'd just bought. I was kind of nervous, but called and got it all taken care of without any help. Kind of small, but I felt disproportionately proud.

Also whenever I'm speaking with my mother-in-law, when she's talking about politics or whatever, I'm always totally lost, but when we talk about food and cooking, I'm able to hold a conversation with her for a solid 30 minutes or so, which I'm always proud of, and she's always impressed by.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul

Also whenever I'm speaking with my mother-in-law, when she's talking about politics or whatever, I'm always totally lost, but when we talk about food and cooking, I'm able to hold a conversation with her for a solid 30 minutes or so, which I'm always proud of, and she's always impressed by.
that's great. you put me to shame. my MIL speaks so quickly i can never catch what she says anyway :/

that's great. you put me to shame. my MIL speaks so quickly i can never catch what she says anyway :/

My MIL is super nice. Like, she slows down her speaking when we talk, but not to a condescending level. And we talk enough that she kind of knows what topics I can talk about, and what I'm can't, so we usually just talk about food or cooking, haha. She speaks absolutely zero English, so I had to level up my Korean a bit.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
yeah my MIL is really nice too. but she can't learn to slow down when speaking. ever. i honestly feel guilty about how i can't communicate with her enough though. that's pretty much my only motivation for learning korean these days though :/

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
Any time I got laid.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
During my last trip home, my wife and I were enjoying lunch at Harbour House (gourmet seafood restaurant). We overhead some Korean guests struggling to communicate with the waitress. I offered to help translate, they had a few questions about the ingredients as one of them had allergies. Their heads almost exploded when I spoke to them in Korean and the couldn't believe someone in SA spoke Korean... however poorly.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Last time I was back in my hometown in NZ, I went to the Japanese sushi buffet (owned by Korean people) and greeted the staff with an Anyonghaseyo (possible bad spelling, but I said it the way I normally do here) the staff was so happy that I not only knew they were Korean, but greeted them in their language, that, they threw in an extra piece for free. :D

Never really proud of it, but I do feel super satisfied whenever I hear shade getting tossed at me or a friend, and I'm able to respond to it in a way that shuts them right the **** up. 

A guy actually ran away from me, once. It was both super funny and surreal.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 01:53:58 pm by Chinguetti »

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
Never really proud of it, but I do feel super satisfied whenever I hear shade getting tossed at me or a friend, and I'm able to respond to it in a way that shuts them right the **** up. 

I really dont know any insults or cursing in Korean. I could never get into an argument.

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
I noticed i did a lot better communicating with my hairdresser yestersay.  I think they were suprised there. I still didnt get a great haircut though.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more

I really dont know any insults or cursing in Korean. I could never get into an argument.

닥쳐 and 엿 먹어 are basically STFU

씨발놈 is fukk off, or you fukking ass hole.

바보의 바지에 미니고추 있읍니까? Is "Do you have a small penis in your pants?"
The joys of fauxtherhood

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul

yeah people say this one to me all the time too

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea

Hopefully not your MIL! :-P   

I can't remember my proud Korean moments, but I do have them from time to time.

I'm more proud when I make up  Englorea (opp from Konglish) that I named Joshorean.  Kids love when I say jjajjamyeong instead of jajeungna.  And I have special hand signals when I say mashileh for majileh and chukhahae for jugaleh.  The best happened last year.  A sister and brother go here and the sister came in complaining her brother said mashileh to her with the hand signal and her parents didn't do anything about it because only she knew what it meant.  Classic!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul

Hopefully not your MIL! :-P   

nah mostly my wife