Read 4584 times

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: Do you prefer using cash or card?
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2019, 01:21:06 pm »
Cash is extremely necessary to have in your wallet. I'll throw out a few examples.

What happens when you go to a restaurant with a group of people, and the place only makes out one bill for a party of 8 people? You need small bills of the 5000 and 1000 won variety to pay your share of the bill.

When they take your card to the back, such as at a restaurant, and it comes back 3 minutes later. Who knows what happened to your card? ...this goes double for bars.

At gas stations in Canada or in taxis, card skimmers are popular and you pin number gets copied when you enter it.

When putting a deposit on an hotel room (besides your room rate) when you check in. I don't want them having my card details (China)

For street food, I buy rotisserie chicken from those trucks in my neighborhood..cash only.

Outside of Korea...when leaving tips at a restaurant. Leaving it on the table is positive reinforcement for a job well done.

Sometimes you get a special price for paying cash...maybe the guy is playing with the books, or maybe its legitimate, who cares, you are saving money.

Giving money to hostile homeless people (USA)

If you get robbed, you have something to give to the perpetrator. I always think he"ll shank me with a knife if he finds  zero bucks in the wallet while mugging me.

Massage parlors - A lot of them only take money

Tips are typically just an American thing. In NZ there is no tipping. Some restaurants and cafes might have a tip jar at the counter, that is divided by the workers at closing time, but it's very rare to tip a worker.

I've got friends who have volunteered to help homeless people. And it's often better to buy them what they need and give it to them, vs giving them money. If you give them money, it can often lead to just buying booze and/or drugs.

If you don't have anything to give a robber, they might just take your cards, and you can just give them a fake pin. Never been in this situation, but chances are likely they'll find something to take off you for the trouble.

Going to the restaurant with friends, once we split the amount, I let them put down the cash, and either pay the cash, then rest on my card, or put into papago that we'll each pay x, and we each pay how we want. I live in the middle of nowhere, and it's never been a problem yet.

Honestly, it seems like there is more reasons to not use cash TBH. haha

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2019, 03:39:10 pm »
I wouldn't say this is moving toward a cashless society.  I can tell most of you are responding form Seoul, but most of the cities that are not Seoul, Busan, Daejeon prefer cash.  Many times I go into a shop and get a price, and have to pay more when they see me pull out a card.

I use my card for:
Big purchases
Shopping at large franchise stores

I use cash for:
mom and pop shops to help the owner
taxis (lived here for two years before I even knew Taxis took cards.  My Korean wife didn't even know they took cards)

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2019, 04:02:00 pm »

Why not? There are things that cash can do that a card simply can't. Like, if you stop by a market, or you want pojang macha. Or you spill coffee on someone and need to give them 10 000 for dry cleaning.

Having 50 000W on you can be a nice buffer in a bad situation.

I see you haven’t discovered the joys of internet banking on smartphones. Instead of handing that person a man won note, you can just ask for their bank account number and transfer it to them right there and then.

Heck, even those street vendors now accept direct transfer. Last year on jeju, the gf and I wanted to rent some life jackets under a tent at the beach. We didn’t have any cash on us, the vendor pointed towards a piece of cardboard with their bank details written on. 3mins later, we got our life jackets.

Besides, if you’re worried about some dodgy people overcharging your card, you can literally get live updates on your expenditure either via text or through your banking app.

I’d say I’m 90% cashless these days, unless when I travel overseas. I also keep a stash of cheon won notes, 100 and 500 won coins in the car for parking, laundry, car wash, shopping carts etc.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 04:07:49 pm by waygo0k »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 04:32:26 pm »
I see you havenít discovered the joys of internet banking on smartphones.
Yes, I have. And I still think having a 50 on you is a good idea.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2019, 04:38:30 pm »
i too, always carry 50 on me.  just good to have some cash on you

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2019, 08:13:41 pm »
i too, always carry 50 on me.  just good to have some cash on you
If you ever lived in Nova Scotia, you know that electronic payment depend on electricity.

I once used my emergency 50 to buy gas to get back to New Brunswick!

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2019, 09:20:01 pm »
that's amazing. i'll look into it today

korean credit cards always have good discounts too...although the card i have seems to do jackshit. think the good discount card are for koreans only

Just use one of your wife's credit cards. That's what I've been doing for 10 years. They are basically throwing credit cards at Koreans left and right, but as a foreigner, it's kind of a hassle to get one. Especially when you are a freelancer like me. Never mind that Koreans with no job and income can get their 6th credit card in literally a few minutes.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 10:54:39 pm by Lazio »

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2019, 09:32:33 pm »
However, I will never pay with  my phone or obtain those stupid points at E-Mart....

My ex and I shopped at E-mart pretty regularaly for a year and a half, and my ex was the kind of person who

A year and a half later? 6000W Absolutely not worth the effort. Jesus.

At Emart Traders they give a discount on many products if you have an emart point card on shinsegae or whatever. They also have lots of discount if you pay with a Samsung Credit card. I think it used to be only with a special Traders Samsung Card but now any Samsung CC is okay. So my wife got one of those Traders Samsung Cards while I was waiting at the checkout. She literally had the new card in her hand in 5 minutes. Anyways, that credit card acts as a point card as well so there is no need to deal with any extra stuff at the cashier. Just a few days ago I was at Traders and my total came to around 210,000. I handed over the card and as soon as the cashier inserted it, it immediately gave me the credit card discounts and the membership discounts. I ended up paying 180,000. That's not bad.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 09:35:06 pm by Lazio »

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2019, 10:31:58 pm »
Just look at how much China is pushing cashless systems and some of the ways they are utilizing that to get a glimpse at what could happen if this becomes normal.

People are mugs and will line up to give away their personal data for the promise of some "points" or convenience.

The way it is becoming normal is that they sneak it in incrementally.

With each new generation, each step closer to their goal becomes "normal" for those that are born into it.

..can't argue with that.  Though I do like having my card handy, in case I need a taxi and find myself without any cash.  I do like to balance it out between my debit card and actual currency. 

Right. That is the ideal situation: that we have a diverse range of options by which we can pay.

Sometimes cash is better, sometimes card, sometimes "samsung pay". Or whatever. Quality of life is all about choice.

The problem is... they are trying to gradually railroad us into using only one type of payment system.

Quote from: tylerthegloob
clearly you've never experienced the utter joy of paying for dunkin donuts via an NFC payment app on your phone (samsung pay, etc.)

Every time you sign up to a new payment app, you are giving up a part of your freedom and accepting to be surveilled.

Do you know what happens to all the data they collect about you? have you devoted the 3- 4 hours necessary to read through all the terms and conditions, the fine print of where they are sending your data? They use it to build a complete picture of who you are. Are you quite ok with someone in an office somewhere analyzing all your minor transactions to decide you are too much risk to be insured, you hold negative opinions about the government, you  drink too much alcohol, etc.

China is already there. Every little thing a person does is logged, and has consequences 24/7.. and used for or against them.

if youíre worried about some dodgy people overcharging your card, you can literally get live updates on your expenditure either via text or through your banking app.

Iíd say Iím 90% cashless these days.

Why are you so keen to surrender your privacy and your freedom?

The way things are moving, we will probably be unable to use cash in another 10-15 years. Everyone will understand that their lives are transparent, that they are being monitored, and act accordingly. They will constantly try not to draw too much attention to themselves. That will just be the beginning, because people like you thought it was so cool to give up cash for the latest app without a moments thought.

A cashless society poses numerous risks. It represents a surveillance state, a system of total control that can be used for political repression. It opens you up to massive cyber-security risks. What do you do if digital payment systems collapse or fail suddenly? All your savings and wealth -represented as digits on a screen- can be erased in an instant.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:39:33 am by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2019, 07:46:27 am »

"The basic human need to be watched was once satisfied by God. Now, the same functionality can be replicated with data-mining algorithms."

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2019, 07:54:55 am »
Last year on jeju, the gf and I wanted to rent some life jackets under a tent at the beach. We didnít have any cash on us, the vendor pointed towards a piece of cardboard with their bank details written on. 3mins later, we got our life jackets...

...by text message, with a middle finger and a smiley face.

• stoot
  • Adventurer

• September 01, 2010, 08:48:01 pm
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2019, 08:50:46 am »

The way things are moving, we will probably be unable to use cash in another 10-15 years. Everyone will understand that their lives are transparent, that they are being monitored, and act accordingly. They will constantly try not to draw too much attention to themselves. That will just be the beginning, because people like you thought it was so cool to give up cash for the latest app without a moments thought.

A cashless society poses numerous risks. It represents a surveillance state, a system of total control that can be used for political repression. It opens you up to massive cyber-security risks. What do you do if digital payment systems collapse or fail suddenly? All your savings and wealth -represented as digits on a screen- can be erased in an instant.

That's why it's important to diversify. Along with the traditional money in the bank model, I keep a sizeable chunk of cash (US Dollars and Korean Won) in a bag safely hidden in my apartment. My brother is keeping hold of some gold for me in his underground bunker back home. And I keep a portion of my wealth in crypto. I feel this lessens my risk. Not perfect but nothing is.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2019, 09:11:14 am »
'stoot' WTF? Is this another LI LIC type situation?  :huh:

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2019, 10:12:53 am »
'stoot' WTF? Is this another LI LIC type situation?  :huh:

wow! i didn't even realize... i thought it was you. unfortunately, im gonna attribute whatever he says to you anyway (same thing that i do with LI and LIC, even when they disagree)

• DirkZA
  • Explorer

• May 03, 2019, 09:18:11 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2019, 10:33:31 am »
I prefer having cash on me, that way I know exactly how much I spend and how much I have left. When I feel and see the cash literally leaving your wallet, I find it much harder to make impulsive purchases. But this is just in Korea. When I'm in my native country of South Africa I never ever carry any cash on me, seeing that there is someone ready to rob you just around every other corner. 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2019, 10:57:27 am »
You guys willingly live in a country that has ALL your biometric data on record, including your DNA. They have already (legally) linked this record with your phone number, address, bank account etc...a country with one of the highest collection of private and public CCTV systems on the planet.

And youíre still worried about keeping your details safe from the government?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2019, 11:04:34 am »
Just look at how much China is pushing cashless systems and some of the ways they are utilizing that to get a glimpse at what could happen if this becomes normal.

People are mugs and will line up to give away their personal data for the promise of some "points" or convenience.

The way it is becoming normal is that they sneak it in incrementally.

With each new generation, each step closer to their goal becomes "normal" for those that are born into it.

..can't argue with that.  Though I do like having my card handy, in case I need a taxi and find myself without any cash.  I do like to balance it out between my debit card and actual currency. 

Right. That is the ideal situation: that we have a diverse range of options by which we can pay.

Sometimes cash is better, sometimes card, sometimes "samsung pay". Or whatever. Quality of life is all about choice.

The problem is... they are trying to gradually railroad us into using only one type of payment system.

Quote from: tylerthegloob
clearly you've never experienced the utter joy of paying for dunkin donuts via an NFC payment app on your phone (samsung pay, etc.)

Every time you sign up to a new payment app, you are giving up a part of your freedom and accepting to be surveilled.

Do you know what happens to all the data they collect about you? have you devoted the 3- 4 hours necessary to read through all the terms and conditions, the fine print of where they are sending your data? They use it to build a complete picture of who you are. Are you quite ok with someone in an office somewhere analyzing all your minor transactions to decide you are too much risk to be insured, you hold negative opinions about the government, you  drink too much alcohol, etc.

China is already there. Every little thing a person does is logged, and has consequences 24/7.. and used for or against them.

if youíre worried about some dodgy people overcharging your card, you can literally get live updates on your expenditure either via text or through your banking app.

Iíd say Iím 90% cashless these days.

Agreed...Absolutely!

The complete lack of awareness of the sheeple just handing over all vestiges of their personal liberties/freedoms these days is appalling...Small wonder the Chinese-style 'total surveillance state'[ is rapidly coming to the West as well and the brainwashed masses can't wait for it to get here...
I'd love to expound more on this (in fact, I teach a course that covers this at my university...), but have to really watch my blood pressure in these days of arrant stupidity; not ignorance (which can be corrected) but stupidity!

It certainly looks like the 'dumbing down' of our society (ies) posited 20-30 years ago  is well under way!

With regard to the original question: I use both - cash and Credit/Debit cards depending on the situation...however, I always try to have at least 100,000 won in my wallet at all times too. If it drops down to say, 40,000 won, I top it up ASAP!

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2019, 11:53:25 am »
If youíre so worried about personal liberties and freedoms, ďChinese style surveillanceĒ and the lot...youíre about 50 years too late.

It was barely half a decade ago that Snowden exposed what his government was doing with its own citizensí communications...an d a slightly before that wiki leaks exposed a surveillance conspiracy among allies.

Spending cash doesnít mean shit in terms of privacy if you live in an advanced country...every bill you spend has a serial number and almost everywhere you spend it has a camera watching you. Every electronic arrangement you make to spend your cash (text, email, phone calls etc) is logged...and we havenít even begun to talk about all the sites and companies tracking your every click on the internet.

If you still believe you can be safe from all this, Iím selling tinfoil hats for 1000 won a piece...cash only.  ;D ;D

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2019, 01:22:20 pm »
Not lie ou

korean credit cards always have good discounts too...although the card i have seems to do jackshit. think the good discount card are for koreans only

Just use one of your wife's credit cards. That's what I've been doing for 10 years. They are basically throwing credit cards at Koreans left and right, but as a foreigner, it's kind of a hassle to get one. Especially when you are a freelancer like me. Never mind that Koreans with no job and income can get their 6th credit card in literally a few minutes.

Not like they can abuse it like Western cards.  They have to pay the balance off at the end of the month or it gets shut off.  They don't let you run it up like they do in NA.  Totally different animal.

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2019, 01:32:08 pm »
Not lie ou

Not like they can abuse it like Western cards.  They have to pay the balance off at the end of the month or it gets shut off.  They don't let you run it up like they do in NA.  Totally different animal.

Also, you can have multiple credit cards with the same bank, each can have it's different 'benefits', but it's all for the same account.  I have two with KEB, one is a 'Kuckoo Card' which gives a discount on my air cleaner and water machine if I spend more than 300 000 won a month on it, but it's a JCB card (pointless in Europe).  I also have a Mastercard which I use abroad.  It's all from the same account though.  I was told I could have 4 or 5 cards on the same account if I wanted.  One limit applies though.