Read 2513 times

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Do you prefer using cash or card?
« on: October 31, 2019, 03:28:40 am »

I don't enjoy the way this country -and the world- is advancing toward a cashless society.

I love cash. I like the control and awareness it gives me over how much I spend and budget for. People who own physical cash can keep control over it. They can take it to other countries, they can make transactions without being traced and tracked. Physical money is freedom.

I don't trust people with my card. I refuse to pay taxis using my card, I have heard too many stories of them scamming people that way. I can't stand the way people go through a time-consuming signing-over ceremonies in every shop as they use credit cards for even the tiniest amounts. They are slaves to 'points". They hold up everyone. Paying by cash is much quicker.

One day when there is no more cash, the government will have total control over your money. If you do something they don't like, they will simply freeze your account. All your ID's, payment methods and information will become centralized onto one single device, in your phone or wherever. So they will have total control over every citizen. Of course, the banks will love it. At the moment, governments only salivate over such levels of control of their populace. But their dream is now not far away from becoming reality.
Catch my drift?

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
Re: Do you prefer using cash or card?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 06:50:11 am »

I don't enjoy the way this country -and the world- is advancing toward a cashless society.

I love cash. I like the control and awareness it gives me over how much I spend and budget for. People who own physical cash can keep control over it. They can take it to other countries, they can make transactions without being traced and tracked. Physical money is freedom.

I don't trust people with my card. I refuse to pay taxis using my card, I have heard too many stories of them scamming people that way. I can't stand the way people go through a time-consuming signing-over ceremonies in every shop as they use credit cards for even the tiniest amounts. They are slaves to 'points". They hold up everyone. Paying by cash is much quicker.

One day when there is no more cash, the government will have total control over your money. If you do something they don't like, they will simply freeze your account. All your ID's, payment methods and information will become centralized onto one single device, in your phone or wherever. So they will have total control over every citizen. Of course, the banks will love it. At the moment, governments only salivate over such levels of control of their populace. But their dream is now not far away from becoming reality.

..can't argue with that.  Though I do like having my card handy, in case I need a taxi and find myself without any cash.  I do like to balance it out between my debit card and actual currency.  However, I will never pay with  my phone or obtain those stupid points at E-Mart....

I don't know why people go through  the trouble of using their phone to pay for something at the coffee shop ,other than it is trendy...and that is an undoing.

Right on, ,O.P.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 07:39:53 am »

clearly you've never experienced the utter joy of paying for dunkin donuts via an NFC payment app on your phone (samsung pay, etc.)

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 07:44:19 am »
However, I will never pay with  my phone or obtain those stupid points at E-Mart....

My ex and I shopped at E-mart pretty regularaly for a year and a half, and my ex was the kind of person who

:smiley: Do you have Emart points?

:-* O, RIGHT! Hold on........ *fumbles for phone in purse* Alright, one sec. *unlocks phone/finds app/opens app/App loads/App shows screen about getting ads/Navigates to QR Code*  HERE WE ARE.

:smiley: ----->  :rolleyes:

A year and a half later? 6000W Absolutely not worth the effort. Jesus.

------------------------

Also, speaking of wallets and cash, everyone should carry at least 50 000W (100 000W is better) on their person at any given time. Cards are convenient but there are times where a quick 20 bucks can go a long way.

Also, there is no reason for an adult not to have their ID on their person. Ever. Some adults blow my mind. You came to Itaewon on a Saturday night w/o ID, what the hell is wrong with you?

There's very quick and obvious reasons why you might want your ID, like getting into certain bars.

But there's a VERY, VERY obvious (and hopefully rare reason) that you would want it.

You get hit by a car? You get injured. The hospital NEEDS to know who you are. The police NEED to know who you are. You're out cold after an operation for 48 hours? Your employer NEEDS to know who you are, your family and friends NEED to know what happened to you.

30 year olds walking around with no ID, blows my mind.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 07:48:21 am »
However, I will never pay with  my phone or obtain those stupid points at E-Mart....

My ex and I shopped at E-mart pretty regularaly for a year and a half, and my ex was the kind of person who

:-* O, RIGHT! Hold on........ *fumbles for phone in purse* Alright, one sec. *unlocks phone/finds app/opens app/App loads/App shows screen about getting ads/Navigates to QR Code*  HERE WE ARE.

Should've told her that 90% of membership points programs just let you enter your phone number at the till. That's all we ever do. This includes e-mart.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 08:05:14 am »
I once forgot my wallet at home, but luckily I was bored one day and put like half of all my cards' information into my phone. That's when I discovered the joy of Samsung Pay. I've never looked back. Now I carry both, since I'm paranoid about losing one or the other. Also, if the purchase is like under 10k, no signature is required.

That phone payment thing is the greatest thing since the wheel.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 08:16:19 am »

Cash is faster than card? Since when? Having to count things out, making sure you give the right amount, or a bit over, then waiting for them to count back your change takes MUCH longer, than quickly swiping a card, then putting in a 4 digit number.
For the most part, I prefer using my card. There are times cash is better, like some places will give a discount, or other benefits, if you pay in cash.
Luckily for me, I also have my spending linked to sns. The moment I buy something with my card, it tells me how much and where, then gives me a total of what I've spent for the month. That helps me keep track of my spending much easier.

But, to each their own.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 08:30:15 am »

yeah wtf is with this? i wonder how much i spent at my local mart over 2 years. i had...3000 worth of points. in england i would have had hundreds of quid. what's the point

also, i can't remember the last time i used cash. although my wife always asks me for cash when she buys something inexpensive. like, wtf, just use your card. i dont want to carry lots of coins around all day. wtf is she doing
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 08:32:17 am by oglop »

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 08:34:17 am »

yeah wtf is with this? i wonder how much i spent at my local mart over 2 years. way over 10m won. i had...3000 worth of points. in england i would have had hundreds of quid. what's the point

also, i can't remember the last time i used cash. although my wife always asks me for cash when she buys something inexpensive. like, wtf, just use your card. i dont want to carry lots of coins around all day. wtf is she doing

CGV VIP program is absolutely worth it , though. Lots of movie passes to be had and you get the CJ One points ANYWAY for purchases. The VIP program is just a huge bonus. Took me 6 months to get to VIP level and that gets you 4 movie passes and a weekday IMAX pass. There's a bunch of free food and discount things for concessions, too.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 08:36:35 am »
that's amazing. i'll look into it today

korean credit cards always have good discounts too...although the card i have seems to do jackshit. think the good discount card are for koreans only

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 09:07:36 am »
everyone should carry at least 50 000W (100 000W is better) on their person at any given time

:laugh:
no.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 09:09:45 am »
everyone should carry at least 50 000W (100 000W is better) on their person at any given time

no.

Why not? There are things that cash can do that a card simply can't. Like, if you stop by a market, or you want pojang macha. Or you spill coffee on someone and need to give them 10 000 for dry cleaning.

Having 50 000W on you can be a nice buffer in a bad situation.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 09:25:23 am »
Just look at how much China is pushing cashless systems and some of the ways they are utilizing that to get a glimpse at what could happen if this becomes normal.

People are mugs and will line up to give away their personal data for the promise of some "points" or convenience. I fuckin hate this cult of convenience that is tied in with tech nowadays. We all want our lives to be easier, safer etc. I'm not denying that or against those that want more of it, but integrating every facet of your life into your phone etc. that can so easily be tracked, surveilled, controlled and siezed, is so moronically short sighted.

I had an experience at the Macau airport and then talking to some people later, that made my hair stand on end, in regards to cashless payment, points marketing systems. People well say the usual "well I'm not a criminal, I dont care if the government or Unilever, or whoever is seeing things that I buy or where I go".  Well, shit goes pear shaped and you will fuckin see these organizations using this data against us. I know I sound like a loon, but think long and hard about using this shit.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 09:33:07 am »
Just look at how much China is pushing cashless systems and some of the ways they are utilizing that to get a glimpse at what could happen if this becomes normal.

People are mugs and will line up to give away their personal data for the promise of some "points" or convenience. I fuckin hate this cult of convenience that is tied in with tech nowadays. We all want our lives to be easier, safer etc. I'm not denying that or against those that want more of it, but integrating every facet of your life into your phone etc. that can so easily be tracked, surveilled, controlled and siezed, is so moronically short sighted.

I had an experience at the Macau airport and then talking to some people later, that made my hair stand on end, in regards to cashless payment, points marketing systems. People well say the usual "well I'm not a criminal, I dont care if the government or Unilever, or whoever is seeing things that I buy or where I go".  Well, shit goes pear shaped and you will fuckin see these organizations using this data against us. I know I sound like a loon, but think long and hard about using this shit.
Yeah, the LCBO (Ontario Gov Liquor Store/Monopoly) would always ask me for my postal code when I was buying stuff.

:police: No, that's fine.

:shocked: Oh, no. It's just so we can track areas for marketing purposes.

:police: I know. And, no thanks.

Like, leave me alone, jesus. It's not anything personal, like my name or address, and it's cash and it's just a postal code, but I said no. That's a no.

I'm not some tin foil hat wearing bloke, but just let me grab my Creemore Springs Kellerbier tallboy and let me leave.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 09:33:25 am »
I use cash for most things. Gotta stay off the radar. I only use my cards to buy Dokdo merchandise.
Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2019, 09:51:24 am »

no.

Why not? There are things that cash can do that a card simply can't. Like, if you stop by a market, or you want pojang macha. Or you spill coffee on someone and need to give them 10 000 for dry cleaning.

Having 50 000W on you can be a nice buffer in a bad situation.

this is why god invented venmo

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 10:28:17 am »
I only use cash when I'm shopping at the market and there are a few vendors who don't accept card. Otherwise, cash is trash, except in emergencies like waygook.org user CO2 was talking about.

I always keep two 50,000 won  and two 10,000 won bills in my wallet. They take up no space, and it's always good to have just in case. But I'd say probably only maybe 5% of my spending is cash.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 11:18:26 am »

Yeah, the LCBO (Ontario Gov Liquor Store/Monopoly) would always ask me for my postal code when I was buying stuff.

:police: No, that's fine.

:shocked: Oh, no. It's just so we can track areas for marketing purposes.

:police: I know. And, no thanks.

Like, leave me alone, jesus. It's not anything personal, like my name or address, and it's cash and it's just a postal code, but I said no. That's a no.

I'm not some tin foil hat wearing bloke, but just let me grab my Creemore Springs Kellerbier tallboy and let me leave.

i think they should teach about online security/safely at school. i would put all my details into any old website as a young teen, not really knowing any better. i wonder how much of my data is somewhere on the internet from being a stupid teenager :(

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 12:21:57 pm »
Cash is extremely necessary to have in your wallet. I'll throw out a few examples.

What happens when you go to a restaurant with a group of people, and the place only makes out one bill for a party of 8 people? You need small bills of the 5000 and 1000 won variety to pay your share of the bill.

When they take your card to the back, such as at a restaurant, and it comes back 3 minutes later. Who knows what happened to your card? ...this goes double for bars.

At gas stations in Canada or in taxis, card skimmers are popular and you pin number gets copied when you enter it.

When putting a deposit on an hotel room (besides your room rate) when you check in. I don't want them having my card details (China)

For street food, I buy rotisserie chicken from those trucks in my neighborhood..cash only.

Outside of Korea...when leaving tips at a restaurant. Leaving it on the table is positive reinforcement for a job well done.

Sometimes you get a special price for paying cash...maybe the guy is playing with the books, or maybe its legitimate, who cares, you are saving money.

Giving money to hostile homeless people (USA)

If you get robbed, you have something to give to the perpetrator. I always think he"ll shank me with a knife if he finds  zero bucks in the wallet while mugging me.

Massage parlors - A lot of them only take money

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2019, 12:38:24 pm »
Cash is extremely necessary to have in your wallet. I'll throw out a few examples.

What happens when you go to a restaurant with a group of people, and the place only makes out one bill for a party of 8 people? You need small bills of the 5000 and 1000 won variety to pay your share of the bill.

When they take your card to the back, such as at a restaurant, and it comes back 3 minutes later. Who knows what happened to your card? ...this goes double for bars.

At gas stations in Canada or in taxis, card skimmers are popular and you pin number gets copied when you enter it.

When putting a deposit on an hotel room (besides your room rate) when you check in. I don't want them having my card details (China)

For street food, I buy rotisserie chicken from those trucks in my neighborhood..cash only.

Outside of Korea...when leaving tips at a restaurant. Leaving it on the table is positive reinforcement for a job well done.

Sometimes you get a special price for paying cash...maybe the guy is playing with the books, or maybe its legitimate, who cares, you are saving money.

Giving money to hostile homeless people (USA)

If you get robbed, you have something to give to the perpetrator. I always think he"ll shank me with a knife if he finds  zero bucks in the wallet while mugging me.

Massage parlors - A lot of them only take money

Exactly. 50 bucks isn't a hell of a lot of money. Just keep it in there and it'll come in handy at some point.

I love the venmo comment. Yeah, I'll just venmo the guy at the county fair doing the ringtoss or the sundae ajumma in Jongno at 2AM.
The joys of fauxtherhood