Read 2005 times

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
Re: Unsure of what to do
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 09:25:34 am »
Hi there everyone. This is my first post on here.

Basically, I was accepted with the August 2019 EPIK intake, so I've now been in Korea for two months. I really like a lot about my new life here: the fact that I don't need a car, my city, how much money I make, work/life balance, the friends I've made, but to be honest with you, I really just don't like the job at all. I dread getting up every day for work and can't wait for Friday, and I just can't help but think that I shouldn't be feeling this way.

The reason I'm posting this is because since day one of arriving here in Korea, I've wanted to go home. And it's not just a feeling of homesickness, but rather a gut feeling that I need to leave. I've stuck it out for two full months now, and honestly I don't feel any better about staying a full year. I don't want to break my contract early, partly for financial reasons and partly because I don't want to be seen as a quitter, but I honestly am just miserable with this job and want to go home.

I think it's also a mixture of the fact that since being here in Korea I've discovered that I have IBS, which Korean cuisine exacerbates, and this has triggered horrible anxiety. I've had crippling anxiety virtually every day since I got here, and I don't think that I can handle it for a full year.

What I'm asking is, do you think I should trust my gut and leave at the six month mark? Or should I try to stick it out? Does anyone else have a similar story or is able to relate? If you need more information, just ask me.

Thank you.

I've lived here for years and barely touch Korean food, even fast-food (religious reasons, I'm not vegan, I eat meat I order from a Muslim butcher in Itaewon). If I can eat well without Korean cuisine, so can you. Meal prep, don't eat the school lunches etc. it's certainly doable. It could be a cycle, your anxiety causes IBS, which causes anxiety.

For some, perhaps people like you, your time in Korea can be a golden opportunity to develop independence.

Up to you

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 09:58:09 am »
Yes, you should feel guilty and yes you are letting your kids and school down. Not to mention the EPIK applicant who you denied a place.

There's a long line of newbs eager to teach. So how would leaving hurt the kids and school? They'll get a new NET right away - someone who wants to be there.

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2019, 10:37:49 am »
Yes, you should feel guilty and yes you are letting your kids and school down. Not to mention the EPIK applicant who you denied a place.

There's a long line of newbs eager to teach. So how would leaving hurt the kids and school? They'll get a new NET right away - someone who wants to be there.

Not always the case.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2019, 11:34:15 am »
OK, usually the case.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2019, 11:47:14 am »
Folks...live definitely goes on for the kids if a teacher leaves, suddenly.  I replaced a couple, one of which had been here for a year and half (only God knows why) and when they busted out...kids said nothing of it ,as if, they were never here...not even an after thought. 

Life goes on....

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2019, 02:53:13 pm »
"think of the kids". Lol... I'm sure they'll get over it. Probably within the first minute

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2019, 02:59:00 pm »
"think of the kids". Lol... I'm sure they'll get over it. Probably within the first minute
Agreed. In fact, they'd probably get a kick out of getting a new foreign entertainer (because let's face it, they don't take us seriously as teachers)

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2019, 06:12:40 pm »

Reminds me of when i used to teach adults pre-computer data bases and someone would come in to sign up for a course who said they'd done a course there before in the last year. The conversation usually went like this.

T:  You did a course here before, when was it?
S: Ummm about 3 months ago
T: Can you remember the level?
S: No
T: Can you remember who the teacher was?
T: Was it a man or a woman?
S: Can't remember
T: Can you remember the name of the book?
T: Was it a yellow one?
T: Blue?
S: Ummm Yes.
T: Ah OK pre-intermediate.

Our courses obviously had a massive impact.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2019, 08:24:17 am »
Agreed. In fact, they'd probably get a kick out of getting a new foreign entertainer (because let's face it, they don't take us seriously as teachers)

Really?  I don't know I guess I'm still baffled as to why at one hakwon I worked at, the kids cried when the teacher who had known them for all of ONE CONTRACT YEAR, was leaving and saw that I was the replacement, plus asked for the next 3 months after she left as to when she was coming back.  Mind you, I didn't find the girl to look like Bella Hadid but more like  mix of Mayim Bialik/Kristen Schaal but with brown eyes and bigger gums  I guess it because she was crying too \_(ツ)_/

I guess if you want the kids to cry when you leave recreate a moment when CPS comes to take them away from their mother.   Otherwise, every teacher I replaced since that one was met with a few days of "I miss XYZ teacher" and then they moved on with their lives. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2019, 08:25:31 am »

Really?  I don't know I guess I'm still baffled as to why at one hakwon I worked at, the kids cried when the teacher who had known them for all of ONE CONTRACT YEAR, was leaving and saw that I was the replacement, plus asked for the next 3 months after she left as to when she was coming back.  Mind you, I didn't find the girl to look like Bella Hadid but more like  mix of Mayim Bialik/Kristen Schaal but with brown eyes and bigger gums  I guess it because she was crying too \_(ツ)_/

I guess if you want the kids to cry when you leave recreate a moment when CPS comes to take them away from their mother.   Otherwise, every teacher I replaced since that one was met with a few days of "I miss XYZ teacher" and then they moved on with their lives.

One of my friend's left in August, and she is still getting messages now from her former students here, telling her how much they wish she was back here, because they don't like the new teacher.
My friend was a licenced teacher back in the states, and put in a lot of work from the schools, but she was also nice to the students. Based on what she has told me, the students have told her, the new teacher is really strict, and not very nice - like won't talk to the students between classes and all that.
I think how long the I miss XYZ happens, depends on the replacement and the relationship with the former teacher.