Read 2483 times

• Cohort 2019
  • Veteran

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90°S.- 0'E
    more
Middle school bullying on video
« on: October 27, 2019, 09:50:28 pm »
What is there to say, really...other than only in Korea?
And... how screwed up Youtube's algorithms are that this video pops up when I am browsing for Sejong city tour.

https://youtu.be/gnA0cUx9604
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:52:59 pm by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• mjc8500
  • Adventurer

• August 26, 2018, 05:27:23 am
    • Seoul
Re: Middle school bullying on video
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 10:09:16 pm »
What is there to say, really...other than only in Korea?
And... how screwed up Youtube's algorithms are that this video pops up when I am browsing for Sejong city tour.

This is vicious and nasty and I'm not trying to excuse it in the slightest, but it's not only in Korea. I taught in the US for a year at a middle school and students were downright horrible. Kids would just start beating the shit out of others for seemingly no reason sometimes. One student tried to stab a teacher in the stomach with scissors. Another waved a very realistic looking toy gun in my face one day, a "toy" he used to threaten a lot of other students before he was arrested. And we're talking about 11-13 year-old kids here, some of whom had already been involved in things like drive-by shootings. It's not Korea or the US, it's a global problem...a problem with a lot of shitty people in a shitty, uncaring global society.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 10:32:30 pm »
...a problem with a lot of shitty people in a shitty, uncaring global society.
That's life from the perspective of Jack Napier.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 10:34:37 pm by VanIslander »

• mjc8500
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 10:40:33 pm »
...a problem with a lot of shitty people in a shitty, uncaring global society.
That's life from the perspective of Jack Napier.

Well, I think life's worth more than that. I'm just saying there's a lot of shit in this word and a lot of people don't give a damn. I do think however we should try to make our society better and I believe in humanity's ability to do so.

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 10:54:12 pm »
Not only in Korea, obviously and not only nowadays of course. Tom Brown's Schooldays, for example.

• Cohort 2019
  • Veteran

• 90°S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 11:12:02 pm »
If the state of US middle schools is so dire that such abuses can continue, then I fully understand the recent outcry over NYC's plans to desegregate its schools. I thought that deMartino was from a weird neighbourhood or something to have suffered so much violence in high school but I would definitely not want my child to go to school in such an unsafe environment, neither in the US. nor in Korea...

What did the principal say about that gun incident?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 11:51:55 pm by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 12:19:51 am »
This is vicious and nasty and I'm not trying to excuse it in the slightest, but it's not only in Korea. I taught in the US for a year at a middle school and students were downright horrible. Kids would just start beating the shit out of others for seemingly no reason sometimes. One student tried to stab a teacher in the stomach with scissors. Another waved a very realistic looking toy gun in my face one day, a "toy" he used to threaten a lot of other students before he was arrested. And we're talking about 11-13 year-old kids here, some of whom had already been involved in things like drive-by shootings. It's not Korea or the US, it's a global problem...a problem with a lot of shitty people in a shitty, uncaring global society.

This was never a problem when schools used Corporal Punishment.

You see when you spare the rod, you ruin the child. Instead of being secure places of learning, schools have become chaotic nightmares that students have to survive, and the traditional authority of teachers has been eroded away to almost nothing. This is the result.
Catch my drift?

• mjc8500
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 01:19:13 am »

Countless studies have shown that abusing children through so-called "corporal punishment" has only had severely negative consequences. You don't get children to stop using violence through inflicting violence upon them.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 08:30:52 am by kyndo »

• mjc8500
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 01:20:45 am »
If the state of US middle schools is so dire that such abuses can continue, then I fully understand the recent outcry over NYC's plans to desegregate its schools. I thought that deMartino was from a weird neighbourhood or something to have suffered so much violence in high school but I would definitely not want my child to go to school in such an unsafe environment, neither in the US. nor in Korea...

What are you saying? It's the black kids' fault there's violence in schools? Your argument that it's "only in Korea" really doesn't hold water then, does it?

• Cohort 2019
  • Veteran

• 90°S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 06:03:34 am »
Well based on your account of a student stabbing and holding a toy gun to a teacher.
I am only referring to a recent report from CNN's Lisa Ling on 'desegregation of NYC high schools'.

It is not me claiming schools in the US are segregated, rather it is the media and for the dangerous part...that is based on deMartino's account and yours.

16 Oct. 2019
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/18/the-weekly/nyc-schools-segregation.html

Episode 16: ‘Segregated City’

Two teenagers — one black, the other white — growing up a few miles apart have had two very different experiences in the New York City public school system. The gap in the quality of their education has likely put them on unequal paths for the rest of their lives.
incumbo studiis

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 06:18:51 am »

Countless studies have shown that abusing children through so-called "corporal punishment" has only had severely negative consequences. You don't get children to stop using violence through inflicting violence upon them.

If the argument against corporal punishment is so strong there's no need to use over emotive language like 'abuse'. I'm not in favour of CP but I don't like the way people deliberately misuse language either.  If state sanctioned punishment accepted by teachers and parents can be referred to as 'abuse',  when real abuse is inflicted the difference in definitions is muddied.  Should teachers be prosecuted for corporal punishment they inflicted on kids in the past? Of course not. Should a teacher be prosecuted for actual abuse they inflicted on a kid in the past? Yes. Another example of this is the way people use 'violence' these days to mean verbal attacks. The next step will be a teacher telling a student off or misgendering them being referred to as 'violence' and therefore 'abuse.'
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 08:31:20 am by kyndo »

• Cohort 2019
  • Veteran

• 90°S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 06:42:26 am »
That situation you just described actually happened to me a few weeks ago, the boy in question didn't mind but I could clearly see the awkwardness in his/her eyes so I did feel very sorry for him and the 'unsafe learning environment' I had created. But, yeah compared to knives or guns being pulled or random beatings such as in Korea? 

Why on earth didn't the headmaster step in?
incumbo studiis

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 07:21:40 am »
not really a korean problem, but what is the punishment for bullying here? i heard that kids can't ever get expelled. giving detention doesn't even seem to be a thing here

• fka
  • Veteran

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 07:59:54 am »
I absolutely hate that age group. Could never work at a middle school. I was awful at that age and so were most of my friends. I still carry a lot of guilt for some of the cruel shit we got away with.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 08:06:49 am »
not really a korean problem, but what is the punishment for bullying here? i heard that kids can't ever get expelled. giving detention doesn't even seem to be a thing here

"It's too humiliating for the boy that pinned the other boy  down and slapped him for 15 minutes. Please understand he is very sensitive. "
The joys of fauxtherhood

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2019, 08:08:11 am »

Yeah, I wouldn't want my POC kids to get shot up by some angry non-POC kid who couldn't fit in or get a girlfriend.

See what I did there?

Imagine being against building an understanding between different groups of people from different (socioeconomic, racial, and cultural) backgrounds...while simultaneously crying about how horrible and uncaring the world is.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2019, 08:14:24 am »
I'm so happy I was in the French Immersion program.

We were all middle/upper middle class kids in Canada,

ALL of the shit that goes with problematic kids weren't there. Kids who act out? Nope, sorry you can't come in. None of us speak French at home and if you're not on the ball? You GTFO.

We didn't have time to dick around. We were learning EVERY subject in French without knowing French as a native tongue.

So shut the fuc* up and listen to the teacher, cuz if you don't? You fail and you look like an absolute idiot.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 08:19:31 am »
   my POC kids 

Shouldn't that be KOC? As in I wouldn't want my KOC to get shot up?

• fka
  • Veteran

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 08:21:42 am »

"It's too humiliating for the boy that pinned the other boy  down and slapped him for 15 minutes. Please understand he is very sensitive. "

If the aggressive boys had been a couple years younger, this would've been followed by them sitting on a teacher's knee, getting their faces stroked and spoken to in soft maternal coos.

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 09:18:29 am »
Oh look here come all the usual suspect white supremacist hard men who think they could punch a 7 foot tall high school kid into submission.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit