There are three songs that I detest, here's #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS90B4sZf7U

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Re: The worst song ever written
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 12:13:10 pm »
As a drummer and spending years on the road gigging, this was 100% painful. This song took precisely zero seconds to learn and I routinely played it with one hand clutching a stick and the other clutching a beer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye5BuYf8q4o

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 01:37:43 pm »
As opposed to all of you here who have recently left mommy and daddy's basement for your first job. You guys have all the knowledge and experience.

Youth is wasted on the young.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 05:28:46 pm »
...speaking of songs that only take a minute to learn...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 05:53:16 pm »

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 06:04:27 pm »
I"ll have to say almost any song written by Oingo Boingo and They Might be Giants....

OK...as a composer, Danny Elfman is f-ing awesome  and I do like at least one song from his group Oingo Boingo (but..just about all of them are just....well, whatever).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNuO5KuiA3M
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 06:10:36 pm by NorthStar »

• mjc8500
  • Adventurer

• August 26, 2018, 05:27:23 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 08:58:36 pm »
People are putting some pretty good songs on this list. May I introduce you to the Germs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEcUNm-dJls

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 09:04:37 pm »

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 04:03:21 pm »

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 07:03:11 am »
Can someone please explain to me why Lemon Tree was such a rage when I first moved here.  I played it again for my 5th graders yesterday and half of them thought the song was stupid.  Even their homeroom teacher was like ...."yeah I don't dig this song."
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:43:53 am by Piggydee »

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 07:44:54 am »
I"ll have to say almost any song written by Oingo Boingo and They Might be Giants....

OK...as a composer, Danny Elfman is f-ing awesome  and I do like at least one song from his group Oingo Boingo (but..just about all of them are just....well, whatever).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNuO5KuiA3M

Interesting that you like Danny Elfman's work but you don't like most Oingo Boingo's music.  I know John Hughes used Wild Sex (in The Working Class) and it was a bit overplayed at the time. The Weird Science song was just fit for a movie soundtrack, but from the Dead Man's Party album I can name three tracks of the top off my head that I put on a mix tape for the Walkman back in the day of walkmans: Stay, Another Day and I'm Not the Same Man I Used To Be. 

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 11:43:50 am »
Right...as I said, as a composer, meaning...his written scores for movies, he is great.  But, his old band Oingo Boingo...man...roug h.

Folks don't know how many movie scores Elman was written. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Danny_Elfman

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 12:07:45 pm »
Can someone please explain to me why Lemon Tree was such a rage when I first moved here.  I played it again for my 5th graders yesterday and half of them thought the song was stupid.  Even their homeroom teacher was like ...."yeah I don't dig this song."

Me - 'Liked' is a regular verb, it's the past tense of 'like'. Tell me something you 'liked' but don't like anymore.
Student - I 'liked' PSY.
Me - Why don't you like him anymore?
Student - He's not popular anymore.

A few years ago, I did a lesson on adjectives. I played various songs and asked students to assign adjectives to them. I played some Bohemian Rhapsody. They hated it. Now, everyone has a hard-on for Queen and asks me if I've ever heard of them.

... that's why.

Korean culture is built on popularity and fads. 

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 12:16:40 pm »

Me - 'Liked' is a regular verb, it's the past tense of 'like'. Tell me something you 'liked' but don't like anymore.
Student - I 'liked' PSY.

A few years ago, I did a lesson on adjectives. I played various songs and asked students to assign adjectives to them. I played some Bohemian Rhapsody. They hated it. Now, everyone has a hard-on for Queen and asks me if I've ever heard of them.

... that's why.

..and they are convinced the world is riding the wave. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 12:46:42 pm »
Now, everyone has a hard-on for Queen and asks me if I've ever heard of them.

The balls to ask an OLDER and FOREIGN person if they like a British rock band from the past. hahahahaha
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 12:48:22 pm »
Student - I 'liked' PSY.

... that's why.

Pretty much all of childhood is built on popularity and fads. That's being a kid. You get into certain stuff and then just as quickly you move on to other stuff.

Fads I can recall from my childhood-
Lunch materials- First it was those plastic lunchboxes. Then suddenly everyone wanted a metal lunchbox. Then everyone went lowkey brown bag. Then everyone went insulated.
Pencils- First it was Faber Castle Americans, then Dixon Ticonderogas, then Bic Mechanicals, then those first automatic pencils, then the Faber Castle Naturals or Recyclables, then those denim pencils, and I think the girls rolled with some Lisa Frank crap
Foods- Lunchables, Dunkaroos, Fruit by the Foot, Welch's fruit snacks, Teddy Grahams, etc.
Fashion- British Knights shoes, LA Gear, Starter Jackets, Jordache, Eastpak vs. Jansport, those white college hats, those long keychains, Skechers, Adidas Sambas, Reebok Pumps, Nike Air, Nike Air Force Ones, Jordans, when Fila burst on the scene, Adidas Superstars, Cons, Tommy Hilfiger, Pelle Pelle, and on and on and on
Toys- those Tiger LCD games, Domino Rally, Mouse Trap, Micro Machines, Stretch Armstrong, Trolls, Furbies, Magic: The Gathering, D&D revival, and so on and so on

And yes with music, first grade I was listening to MC Hammer on my Fisher Price tape player in school. The next year no kid would be caught dead listening to MC Hammer.

IT'S CALLED BEING A FRICKIN' KID.

And how much different is that from us now? 3 years ago Game of Thrones was everything, now everyone loves bashing Game of Thrones following the season that shall not be named. Same with Walking Dead. Everyone used to watch The Simpsons, now they're a shell of their former selves. Empire? Huge deal. Then Mr. Smolliet happened. Everyone plays Battlefield. Then they play Battleground. Then they play Call of Duty. Then they play Fortnite. Then they play Overwatch.

I swear, I think some people have almost no concept of childhood or memory of their time as children. I've noticed that some people seem to be almost incapable of recalling specific details or accurately remembering their time as kids. Not surprisingly they often have trouble understanding and relating to them and seem to have unreasonable expectations regarding their behavior. Conversely people who remember their childhood well and all the things they did and are able to "put themselves back into that place and time" do well.

Either that or they're like Aristocrat who might well have already been 28 when he was born. There are those 1-5% of kids that just seem to be almost adults from the time they're six.

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 12:51:40 pm »

The balls to ask an OLDER and FOREIGN person if they like a British rock band from the past. hahahahaha
How dare they!

I love how Psy is mentioned at one point and then the older foreign person gets asked if they like Queen when a popular movie about them is released and they're shocked this is happening.

"You know the darndest thing happened with Korean people living abroad in 2012. All of a sudden they started getting asked if...."

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 12:55:20 pm »
Student - I 'liked' PSY.

... that's why.

Pretty much all of childhood is built on popularity and fads. That's being a kid. You get into certain stuff and then just as quickly you move on to other stuff.

Fads I can recall from my childhood-
Lunch materials- First it was those plastic lunchboxes. Then suddenly everyone wanted a metal lunchbox. Then everyone went lowkey brown bag. Then everyone went insulated.
Pencils- First it was Faber Castle Americans, then Dixon Ticonderogas, then Bic Mechanicals, then those first automatic pencils, then the Faber Castle Naturals or Recyclables, then those denim pencils, and I think the girls rolled with some Lisa Frank crap
Foods- Lunchables, Dunkaroos, Fruit by the Foot, Welch's fruit snacks, Teddy Grahams, etc.
Fashion- British Knights shoes, LA Gear, Starter Jackets, Jordache, Eastpak vs. Jansport, those white college hats, those long keychains, Skechers, Adidas Sambas, Reebok Pumps, Nike Air, Nike Air Force Ones, Jordans, when Fila burst on the scene, Adidas Superstars, Cons, Tommy Hilfiger, Pelle Pelle, and on and on and on
Toys- those Tiger LCD games, Domino Rally, Mouse Trap, Micro Machines, Stretch Armstrong, Trolls, Furbies, Magic: The Gathering, D&D revival, and so on and so on

And yes with music, first grade I was listening to MC Hammer on my Fisher Price tape player in school. The next year no kid would be caught dead listening to MC Hammer.

IT'S CALLED BEING A FRICKIN' KID.

And how much different is that from us now? 3 years ago Game of Thrones was everything, now everyone loves bashing Game of Thrones following the season that shall not be named. Same with Walking Dead. Everyone used to watch The Simpsons, now they're a shell of their former selves. Empire? Huge deal. Then Mr. Smolliet happened. Everyone plays Battlefield. Then they play Battleground. Then they play Call of Duty. Then they play Fortnite. Then they play Overwatch.

I swear, I think some people have almost no concept of childhood or memory of their time as children. I've noticed that some people seem to be almost incapable of recalling specific details or accurately remembering their time as kids. Not surprisingly they often have trouble understanding and relating to them and seem to have unreasonable expectations regarding their behavior. Conversely people who remember their childhood well and all the things they did and are able to "put themselves back into that place and time" do well.

Either that or they're like Aristocrat who might well have already been 28 when he was born. There are those 1-5% of kids that just seem to be almost adults from the time they're six.

"...cause a shoe ain't nothing without the B.K. button". 

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 01:27:58 pm »
How dare they!

I love how Psy is mentioned at one point and then the older foreign person gets asked if they like Queen when a popular movie about them is released and they're shocked this is happening.

"You know the darndest thing happened with Korean people living abroad in 2012. All of a sudden they started getting asked if...."

And I guess they'll get asked if they know about him all over again in 30 years time when they bring out Psy the movie.  ;D

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 01:43:11 pm »

How dare they!

I think the problem is the question "Do you know?"

If trends are so important and the movie is so popular and EVERYONE is talking about Queen in Korea, then asking if I am aware of their existence is silly. "Do you like X?" is a much better question and if the listener doesn't know what it is, then the asker can then explain what it is.

I've mentioned this story before, but after having already established that I'd been in Korea for 6 years, an ajeossi had the nerve to ask me "Do you know ddeokbokki?"

Either
A) He was taught that this is a proper way to ask this question
(Hint: It's not. Using one's brain here is important.
i) do you know about pizza? [STUPID]
ii) Do you know how the chemicals in Andong kimchi break down in a hangari at the molecular level? [Bit much, obv, but MOST PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THIS]

B) He has made a mistake.

C) He thinks I'm an imbecile.

I'm open to more options being added here, but these are the big 3. None of them are great. It's a ridiculous question to ask someone.

If a Korean lived in NY for 6 years and some native born NYer asked them "Are you aware of the existence of the Statue of Liberty?" it would be an asinine question and the assumption, on the asker's part, would be that the Korean was an absolute idiot.

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?