Read 222 times

Question about criminal history in FBI background check
« on: October 25, 2019, 03:39:35 am »
Hi all,

First of all please move this thread if another section of the forums is a more appropriate place. The question is about how strict EPIK is with regards to the FBI background check.

TLDR: I have a possession arrest however no charge or conviction was made (the case was dismissed). The FBI background check shows this information so I was wondering if this completely shuts me down for acceptance or if such a thing is allowed to pass.

Thanks for your help and insight!

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
Re: Question about criminal history in FBI background check
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 08:09:16 am »
Hey fellow Floridian here!

Being that Korea is extremely against recreational drugs I would say this could be a big issue for you. I don't really know if the background check is a completely black and white issue though. I don't know if they would look at this one incident and ask more questions before making a decision or if they would just toss you out right away. Does the background check detail your case? Like does it show you weren't convicted and it was dropped? Maybe that would make a difference.  The only other thing I could think is sending a personal statement regarding it along with the background check. I don't know if they would even take a look at it but it would at least give you a chance to explain.

But keep in mind they still do a very serious drug test (that is very much pass or fail) once you get here, so based on that I'd say they wouldn't be too pleased to see that arrest on your background check. I really hope I'm wrong and they look at it and decide to ignore it though. Good luck!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 12:36:29 pm »
 I'm no expert, but  I would think it's pretty unlikely that EPIK will hire teachers with any kind of notes at all on their CBC.

However...
     I friend of mine was arrested when she was 18 (also for possession). She wasn't charged or convicted either. She pressed to get the record of the arrest expunged. This removes it from one's record so that it doesn't show up on the CBC. She didn't have any troubles with her EPIK application.

I'm not sure what the rules are about expungement in Florida, but it's worth checking out!

Apparently there are companies that'll facilitate the process?
https://www.recordgone.com/florida/
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 12:40:40 pm by kyndo »

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 12:47:06 am »
Thanks for the replies, unfortunately the crime was committed in GA and they don't have expungement as an option. It is suppressed so only law enforcement (like the FBI) can access the record it seems but any other standard employee background check wouldn't show it.

To your point Ihelena I've stopped completely and the drug test would be no problem :)