Read 7703 times

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Re: Marrying a Korean Public School teacher?
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2020, 10:01:47 am »
Her 50k is probably invested for a fixed period with penalties for withdrawing bits of it. 

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2020, 10:25:36 am »
So which is correct, 'men paying for dates is a thing' or 'men paying for dates are a thing'?   :rolleyes:

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2020, 10:42:48 am »
So which is correct, 'men paying for dates is a thing' or 'men paying for dates are a thing'?   :rolleyes:

Grammar points? ..IT... IS.... SUNDAY...(let it go)

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2020, 10:51:00 am »
I'm married to a Korean. We actually had an argument the other day about money. My wife has a very large sum of money and I have some student loan debt. She wanted a really nice destination wedding recently I paid for most of it. I needed about a million won a few months ago to help a bit and she said i could " borrow " it because I was struggling paying for the wedding on my salary and got myself into a hole.

recently I told her about my bonus and she told told me I can pay her back. I got really angry because she has around 50k in the bank and I'm struggling to pay for student loans. I can't even go visit my family during winter vacation because of money issues.  I'm not sure if it's a culture difference or not but it fits in with what I have experienced with a lot of Koreans and money ( greedy and me me me style )
This post defines liberalism.

Someone else is greedy because they won't give me their money so I can have fun.

Is it? Looks like "his money" is "their money" in the eyes of the wife. But the wife's money is "hers" and not "theirs".

In the interests of equality and *cough love cough* couldn't the wife help to repay his student loan debt?

She seems more interested in holding onto her money but demands more money from him.

Sounds like a relationship to escape from, though.

• T.J.
  • Veteran

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2020, 12:21:58 pm »

Is men :rolleyes:

Might want to check your eye roll. What is the subject of the sentence?
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2020, 01:13:21 pm »

Is men :rolleyes:

Might want to check your eye roll. What is the subject of the sentence?

Yew mite want too check you're I rolls, 2.

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2020, 01:19:34 pm »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2020, 03:05:28 pm »
I don't get it. What comes next?

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2020, 03:28:02 pm »
I'm married to a Korean. We actually had an argument the other day about money. My wife has a very large sum of money and I have some student loan debt. She wanted a really nice destination wedding recently I paid for most of it. I needed about a million won a few months ago to help a bit and she said i could " borrow " it because I was struggling paying for the wedding on my salary and got myself into a hole.

recently I told her about my bonus and she told told me I can pay her back. I got really angry because she has around 50k in the bank and I'm struggling to pay for student loans. I can't even go visit my family during winter vacation because of money issues.  I'm not sure if it's a culture difference or not but it fits in with what I have experienced with a lot of Koreans and money ( greedy and me me me style )
This post defines liberalism.

Someone else is greedy because they won't give me their money so I can have fun.

Is it? Looks like "his money" is "their money" in the eyes of the wife. But the wife's money is "hers" and not "theirs".

In the interests of equality and *cough love cough* couldn't the wife help to repay his student loan debt?

She seems more interested in holding onto her money but demands more money from him.

I second this. Signing up for a destination wedding and footing the bill while paying off student loans sounds like a terrible idea. Girlfriend's loaded and wants to get hitched in an exotic location? Awesome, but she's paying for most of it. You should've put your foot down and got married in a run-of-the-mill Korean wedding hall, like I did. My wife knew I was broke as balls, so she paid upfront and made it all back via guest contributions (actually she made a nominal profit, which we used to furnish our apartment).

Anyway, what concerns me is the massive power imbalance you've established in your relationship. It's okay to have less money than your wife, but if you aren't prepared to compensate with some serious frame control then you're in for a world of hurt, frankly.

Read this: https://therationalmale.com/2011/10/12/frame/

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2020, 03:43:30 pm »
..seriously, defending your own joke?

The other guy's joke was better and needs no explanation.

Lol yeah sorry DM but the original was funny enough and didn't descend into cheap and casual racism like your version.

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2020, 03:49:55 pm »
I'm also to blame. I went along with too many things to try to make her happy such as trying to carry the burden of an exotic wedding plus student loans. I damn near did it but I just came up about a grand short. My wife got her money from insurance somehow. The thing is she has offered numerous times to pay for my student loan but I would feel like a wuss having my wife help me. I also don't feeling like I owe someone something.

I guess I just wanted my wife to show me that she had my back and offer to help me out with going to see my family. I actually have enough money but she has asked if I can also buy her flight ticket as well. I would feel guilty going to see family without her. I'm also shocked that she won't commit harder to going to see my family with me but this isn't so bad because it will give me time of leverage when I move back to the states .

« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2020, 05:16:56 pm »
Does your wife submit to you?

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2020, 05:44:35 pm »
Perhaps you could also look through her eyes. It seems to me she is doing this out of love for you as a married couple and she is merely fulfilling her responsibilities as a faithful Korean wife by guarding her nest egg. The 'large sum' is her dowry, perhaps given to her by her family, and to be used towards getting a jonsae or mortgage or starting up a business or in the event of a terrible financial emergency. In any case, it is not meant to be used for anything frivolous (such as a wedding venue), your hobbies nor her prada bag and it can only ever be spent after careful consultation with mum&dad. Seems to me it might have been the result of a collective effort from her family so therefore she is to guard it responsibly (read: for future generations.) You should also take into account that Korean culture is highly risk-averse whereas we would simply bank on our futures to be better and brighter, Koreans would fret and worry about the 'what-ifs' knowing she had to go to the States with you. What if you cannot find a job, what if your house in Cali burns down, what if your children need expensive care, what if all fails? Then, she still has her nest egg to save the entire family. Remember that Korean men are not well-known for being extremely caring and responsible in family matters. A big Equus and a new interior are things they spend money on, till they get married.  :wink: (Based on incidental evidence from my morning class)

I understand fully why you should not ask her to help out with (relatively small, incidental) expenses, whereas resolving debt would be perfectly understandable as that is a 'longterm, lifelong expense/investment' along the lines of jonsae etc. I'd say ask her to pay off the debt, that is her responsibility, that frees you up to do yours. No use to think like a stubborn American about this, just bend with the winds here, she might only get more annoyed by hearing you are struggling to do 'your' part.

Really mate, she is nothing but being lovely to you here,  may it be in a highly stubborn Korean way.
incumbo studiis

« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2020, 06:58:05 pm »

Yeah, for her.

Dude should repay the debt himself so he can learn some financial responsibility and not become reliant on bailouts. Boo frickin hoo you can't go home for vacation. Toughen up. In fact, instead of blowing money on a pointless trip back home, use it to pay off the debt.

Dude is living his life through his feels, not his brains right now.

« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2020, 07:09:39 pm »
The guy says he can order food, go to the post office and  do many other things. So in other words he's more capable than 95% of Westerners married to Korean women.
Can you imagine being married to someone who was proud they could order food, go to the post office, and shop?

Your strip sounds a bit dated and the woman comes across more like a Thai bar girl.
As far as the accent I was between a rock and a hard place, use a perfect voice and everyone accuses you of making the Korean person seem unrealistically articulate. Use the stereotype voice and then you get this. Also, it's not a joke, it's a comic,

Also, comic is written by guy born in 1970? That about fits and explains the ego and the bitterness.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:12:28 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2020, 09:01:21 pm »
.    Quote from: stoat on Yesterday at 10:25:24 am
The guy says he can order food, go to the post office and  do many other things. So in other words he's more capable than 95% of Westerners married to Korean women.
Can you imagine being married to someone who was proud they could order food, go to the post office, and shop?

He said he could order food, go to the post office, shop and do many other things
He didn't say he was proud of this, it was a response to his wife telling him he should learn more Korean.
Yes, I could quite easily imagine being married to someone who was proud of doing these things in a difficult foreign language, depending how efficiently they could do it and how long it had taken them to learn

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2020, 11:42:38 am »
Really mate, she is nothing but being lovely to you here,  may it be in a highly stubborn Korean way.
Disagree strongly. If she was as responsible and empathetic as you claim she would never have pushed for an expensive overseas wedding knowing full well it'd put her husband on the back foot. It was a deliberate attempt to test both his decision making skills and his resolve. He failed on both counts and relegated himself to a dependent. Women abhor having any sort of dependant (other than their offspring). And rightly so.

Like I said, it's okay to be strapped for cash (she got lucky with insurance or highly generous parents, or whatever, so what?) - but there are other forms of currency that need to be demonstrated on a fairly regular basis if a woman is to maintain her attraction (decision making skills, rock-like resolve, dependability, physical presence, willingness to listen, social acumen, etc. etc. etc.) Repeated failure to perform in these key areas will result in (a) a non-compliant, uncompromising and increasingly argumentative wife, and (b) a doomed and sexless marriage.     

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2020, 11:47:59 am »

Regardless, we all seem to agree on the wit involved with these comics.  It inspired me to come up with my own hilarious scenario that I hope Jim can bring to comic life in an upcoming strip. 

Our guy walks into his public school and notices that all the other teachers are dressed to the nines while he is wearing his usual casual dress.  He asks his co-teacher what's going on and she tells him "Today is photo day.  Didn't I tell you?"  Our hero then sighs and says "No, you forgot to mention that..."  He then breaks the fourth wall and gives an eye roll and finishes "Again!" 

That one is a freebie. 

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2020, 12:30:10 pm »
How about an alternative one to keep Demartino happy

Our guy walks into his public school and notices that all the other teachers are dressed to the nines while he is wearing his usual casual dress.  He asks his co-teacher what's going on and she tells him "Today is photo day.  Didn't I tell you?"  Our hero then says "Yes of course, that's why I'm wearing my best hoodie and jeans.."  The co-teacher then breaks the fourth wall and gives an eye roll and says 'bleedin' scruffy foreigners!"  or words to that effect.

You can have that one for free as well.