Read 7706 times

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Re: Marrying a Korean Public School teacher?
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2019, 03:09:59 pm »
yeah imagine giving your whole salary to your wife and having to beg for some pocket money

Every time I see one of these Morning Clam comics posted, all I can think is there are people out there saying "It's funny because It's true."  "I have a Korean wife/gf and that is totally her.  She wants to have her cake and it eat it, too.  LOLS" 

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2020, 09:18:58 am »
I've had two Korean wives. So, here is some straight up shit:

1/  They make much better girlfriends than wives.

2/ About the most you can hope for these days is an F-6.
They upped the permanent resident visa to Topik Level 3.
So, unless you some kind of linguist, forget it.

3/  Koreans in general are avoiding marriage and kids.
Foreigners seem to be totally oblivious to the reasons
for this.  Maybe you should give it some serious thought.

4/  Because you can only get an F-6, your wife will always
have a nice power of divorcing you and terminating your
visa status. Nice

5/ On the brighter side, you can probably double or
triple your income without E-2 handcuffs.

6/  On the darker side, many Korean wives expect you
to give all your earnings to them.

Anyway, good luck.
yOU GOT BALLS MAN!! HASTAG RESPECT TO THIS MAN

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2020, 08:50:53 am »
Every time I see one of these Morning Clam comics posted, all I can think is there are people out there saying "It's funny because It's true."  "I have a Korean wife/gf and that is totally her.  She wants to have her cake and it eat it, too.  LOLS"
While some do have a ring of truth to them, the comic has all the nuance of a jackhammer and relies on the worst possible portrayal of whatever foil the person is encountering while putting themselves in a hero's light. You read something else like Ken Greene's blog or there was another darkly humorous one out there I can't remember right now, that while they might have similarly exasperated tones, there was always an underlying tone that showed they understood that they weren't the biggest genius either and that the negative things they often encountered had roots in their own shortcomings. LOMC writer comes across as a guy who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room but his jokes are grade C in insight, setup, delivery, and punchline. And it's the same joke every single fing time. I'm a genius these people in this other country are a bunch of idiots. Everything is their fault.

For example there's no recognition here of a grown ass man being unable to do basic tasks without his wife's help and instead of working to overcome that he lies on the couch and just asks her to take care of it. You do realize how effing annoying that would get for someone after awhile, right? No recognition that the bar he set for himself in being able to order food and go to the post office are things you could train an 8-year old to do.

Just off the top off my head , a better comic would have say, had the two of them observing another couple having such an argument with the wife emphasizing the husband taking nightly Korean lessons. The wife gives a wordless knowing glance in the second frame. In the third one, the husband gets the hint and says something like "You know I would like to take on more responsibility with the finances". Frame 4 could be them stopping in their tracks, drawn from behind or perhaps an emotional reaction shot from the wife. Then frame 5 could have them walking on with the husband picturing himself with his favorite hobby or walking the dog and thinking "Don't worry, kept you safe another day" or something like that.

Or you could. I don't know, have this argument in a mall and have the husband give his bit about being able to order food and have them stroll up to the ice cream counter, him asked something and he could A)Not comprehend at all or if you really want to twist it B)He replies incorrectly or just says "Ahneeyo" to which he just turned down some kind of special discount or promotion without realizing it or whatever else, which his observing wife then points out, and in the final frame he gets the message and agrees to take the lessons.

Either one of those would be far better than this counterargument presented as a joke combined with a husband that engenders zero sympathy and seems to delight in putting down his wife.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 09:15:24 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2020, 10:25:24 am »
The guy says he can order food, go to the post office and  do many other things. So in other words he's more capable than 95% of Westerners married to Korean women. Anyway the joke isn't really about learning Korean, it's about Korean women wanting to have control of the finances. I didn't find it particularly funny because it's not something I've experienced. I prefer those animations about public schools with the robotic voices. Something tells me you'd never find a joke funny that depicts a foreigner being more sane or logical than a Korean due to the massive chip on your shoulder about foreign teachers here being not as good as they think they are that influences everything you say. Hence your suggested comic scenarios that depicts this

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2020, 10:42:23 am »
Either one of those would be far better than this counterargument presented as a joke combined with a husband that engenders zero sympathy and seems to delight in putting down his wife.

No, your versions wouldn't be far better. What on Earth are you talking about?
I would think it needs no explaining, but looks like you didn't get the joke at all. It was not about the husband's Korean proficiency or the lack of it, rather how the wives here like to handle the finances. It doesn't matter if the husband is Korean or foreigner. And we all know it's true, hence it's funny. Only you don't seem to get it.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2020, 11:39:08 am »
yeah i've never experienced having my wife control all finances either. does that happen to you of you here?

we just have a joint account and put a percentage of our earnings in there monthly for rent/food/savings/etc. can't imagine having to ask my wife for pocket money if i want to buy something...with money i earned myself

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2020, 12:00:43 pm »
yeah i've never experienced having my wife control all finances either. does that happen to you of you here?

we just have a joint account and put a percentage of our earnings in there monthly for rent/food/savings/etc. can't imagine having to ask my wife for pocket money if i want to buy something...with money i earned myself

We have shared financials since day 1. Meaning there is no my money and her money, there is OUR money. It was like that when both of us worked and it's like that now when I'm the sole earner. There is no monthly allowance nonsense. Neither of us is wasting money on useless things, we just buy what we want and need. Wife takes care of the mortgage payments, insurances, car and property taxes etc. and whatever is left sitting in the bank, we put it on a savings account and/or invest it.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2020, 12:09:50 pm »
Yep, similar to my situation. As long as you're not married to someone who's going to blow 2 mil on a handbag or so on, it can work fine.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2020, 12:17:28 pm »

We have shared financials since day 1. Meaning there is no my money and her money, there is OUR money. It was like that when both of us worked and it's like that now when I'm the sole earner. There is no monthly allowance nonsense. Neither of us is wasting money on useless things, we just buy what we want and need. Wife takes care of the mortgage payments, insurances, car and property taxes etc. and whatever is left sitting in the bank, we put it on a savings account and/or invest it.
yep, nice. it feels like those that have a money-controlling spouse are basically saying, "i don't trust you enough"

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2020, 03:44:47 pm »
The conflict between the two isn't who handles the money, the conflict is about language skilll. His pointing out the money issue is the protagonist's method of reolving the conflict.

Also, my apternative method uses the same formula but it isn't a blunt instrument and actually gives some insight into the protagonist's character and motivation and an actually sympathetic reason as to why he isn't spending his free time at Korean class- because he's doing something really enjoyable like spending time with a pet or hobby. It's not ZING! humor more subtle-sly. Anyways its one example I gave off the top of my head.

You could do something like having the husband handing over half his check in each frame, coupled with the wife saying "We need this" and seeing her spend it on different things for 4 different frames, starting with the necessary and working their way to the frivolous (handbag)with corresponding changes to the husband's emotional reaction. Final frame is her asking why there's less than half and what this bar receipt is for, to which the husband responds "I needed this." with perhaps a memory bubble of him and his buddies watching sports at the bar.

Or maybe have one where theyre arguing about the 50%
"...I'm tired of handing over half my paycheck."
"When we dating, you spent ALL your money on me, YES?"
"Erm. Yes...."
"So. I do you favor. Now you get 50%. Very generous. You not grateful." (Storms off)
Final frame of frustrated husband.

LotMC does come across as one of those robotic animations, which rely on an absurd and completely unempathetic take of the antagonist combined with a flawless portrayal of the protagonist and are completely devoid of feeling or character.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 03:56:18 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2020, 05:18:43 pm »
The conflict between the two isn't who handles the money, the conflict is about language skilll. His pointing out the money issue is the protagonist's method of reolving the conflict

The joke is obviously about who handles the money. At what point are you supposed to smile/chuckle/laugh? Obviously when she says 'everything except that.'

By the way, do you really think this dialogue paints Korean women in a better light than the Mourning Calm one?

"Erm. Yes...."
"So. I do you favor. Now you get 50%. Very generous. You not grateful." (Storms off)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 06:13:24 pm by stoat »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2020, 08:01:27 pm »
The conflict between the two isn't who handles the money, the conflict is about language skilll. His pointing out the money issue is the protagonist's method of reolving the conflict.

well the point of a joke is usually the punchline. and the punchline -- also always at the end of a joke -- is about the wife not sharing the money. the beginning bit is just a means to get to the punchline

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2020, 08:37:28 pm »

well the point of a joke is usually the punchline. and the punchline -- also always at the end of a joke -- is about the wife not sharing the money. the beginning bit is just a means to get to the punchline

He didn't get it...as he does with a lot of things.

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2020, 09:41:29 pm »
I'm married to a Korean. We actually had an argument the other day about money. My wife has a very large sum of money and I have some student loan debt. She wanted a really nice destination wedding recently I paid for most of it. I needed about a million won a few months ago to help a bit and she said i could " borrow " it because I was struggling paying for the wedding on my salary and got myself into a hole.

recently I told her about my bonus and she told told me I can pay her back. I got really angry because she has around 50k in the bank and I'm struggling to pay for student loans. I can't even go visit my family during winter vacation because of money issues.  I'm not sure if it's a culture difference or not but it fits in with what I have experienced with a lot of Koreans and money ( greedy and me me me style )

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2020, 09:51:22 pm »
I'm married to a Korean. We actually had an argument the other day about money. My wife has a very large sum of money and I have some student loan debt. She wanted a really nice destination wedding recently I paid for most of it. I needed about a million won a few months ago to help a bit and she said i could " borrow " it because I was struggling paying for the wedding on my salary and got myself into a hole.

recently I told her about my bonus and she told told me I can pay her back. I got really angry because she has around 50k in the bank and I'm struggling to pay for student loans. I can't even go visit my family during winter vacation because of money issues.  I'm not sure if it's a culture difference or not but it fits in with what I have experienced with a lot of Koreans and money ( greedy and me me me style )

This is all over the place. You're married to a Korean woman who wanted a really nice destination wedding recently? Do you mean your wedding? What about the parents, why didn't they chip in?  What's the 50k for? have you discussed it? Anyway no offence but from the rest of it, it  sounds like you got married too soon or too young.

« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2020, 08:12:08 am »

This post defines liberalism.

Someone else is greedy because they won't give me their money so I can have fun.

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2020, 08:24:07 am »
The conflict between the two isn't who handles the money, the conflict is about language skilll. His pointing out the money issue is the protagonist's method of reolving the conflict

The joke is obviously about who handles the money. At what point are you supposed to smile/chuckle/laugh? Obviously when she says 'everything except that.'

By the way, do you really think this dialogue paints Korean women in a better light than the Mourning Calm one?

"Erm. Yes...."

A joke requires both a setup and a punchline. That's why this is poorly told. The setup (the conflict) is completely at odds with the punchline. It's a decent punchline but it doesn't address the cause of their conflict. Better to have the conflict match the punchline.

But this isn't just a joke, it's a comic. You're supposed to add character and personality, something LotMC and those robot animations NEVER do.

As far as mine goes, at least their you get some insight into her perspective. Neither portray the woman in a particularly flattering light, but at least in mine she does get the "win".

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2020, 08:29:47 am »

"Erm. Yes...."

A joke requires both a setup and a punchline. That's why this is poorly told. The setup (the conflict) is completely at odds with the punchline. It's a decent punchline but it doesn't address the cause of their conflict. Better to have the conflict match the punchline.

But this isn't just a joke, it's a comic. You're supposed to add character and personality, something LotMC and those robot animations NEVER do.

As far as mine goes, at least their you get some insight into her perspective. Neither portray the woman in a particularly flattering light, but at least in mine she does get the "win".

..seriously, defending your own joke?

The other guy's joke was better and needs no explanation.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2020, 08:45:55 am »

"Erm. Yes...."

Is men paying for everything on dates still a thing in Korea? My students tell me they kind of expect it on the fitst date but if circumstances are similar they go Dutch after that. Your strip sounds a bit dated and the woman comes across more like a Thai bar girl.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2020, 09:58:24 am »

This post defines liberalism.

Someone else is greedy because they won't give me their money so I can have fun.

I'll agree with that  one.

Anyway, I don't know any man would acquiesce to surrender his money to the wife, with his tail between his legs..

Seriously..grow a pair,boys. 

I've asked some of my students regarding who is in charge of their house...mixed responses.  Some say it is their dad but many said it is their mom.  I also asked who they feared most...mom or dad.  Most students said they feared their moms the most, while their dads were aloof to most things.