Read 1897 times

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
Re: .."sick day".
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2020, 12:17:38 pm »
No, you are purposely infusing irrelevant topics, in order to give yourself something to talk about. 
No, I'm saying that one reason an employer MIGHT be strict on sick days and sick policy is because an employee has developed a reputation for sloth. And that's something to consider. We're only getting one side here.

I'm speaking on theoretical grounds. For all we know boss is a dick and the employee is John Henry. But then again the boss could be really nice and the employee could be coming up with constant excuses.

EDIT: I didn't know it was you. All I saw was "Rant Over" and what was obviously a deleted account of something.

I'm just speaking on the phenomenon in general. Without your story I can't comment on specifics.

OK, I see some method to you madness.  I accidentally fudged up my post, while trying to edit it.  Instead, it is gone.  Thus, I'll extend a knod of understanding of why you are seemingly going off the reservation. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:24:49 pm by NorthStar »

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2020, 02:25:38 pm »

That industriousness that leads to some questionable stuff like this is why South Korea was also able to transform itself from a wartorn country, the poorest on Earth, into a developed country with incredible rapidity and uplift its people despite virtually no natural resources. It's why the trains run on time here. It's why your packages are often delivered the next day. It's why you get your driver's license issued within 2 hours of completing the test. It's why taxis are cheap and you can get virtually anything delivered.

Some people here just don't grasp that these things are often linked and they lead to benefits and costs that often tend to balance each other out in comparison to other systems and often make sense given a place's particular situation.

Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2020, 02:26:24 pm »

Have you ever read the story of the Grasshopper and the Ant?

Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2020, 03:01:06 pm »
Time to post this again  ;D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyq6fTYxztc

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2020, 03:11:58 pm »
jesus christ that is the dumbest shit i have ever watched.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2020, 03:22:17 pm »
jesus christ that is the dumbest shit i have ever watched.

Your money would have paid for it, if you lived in the UK

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2020, 03:34:08 pm »
DeMartino:  Of course to westerners who believe Asia and Asians exist simply to amuse them and make their lives easier, that might be preferable.

You have the biggest chip on your shoulder I have ever encountered.
Says the guy who hasn't lived in Korea in years yet still comes on here to post about how much Korea sucks.

I don't think most of us have a problem admitting that there's a section of expats that haven't adjusted well and can be disrespectful and even bigoted. Same as Koreans. Heck, I said there are Koreans who do the same thing? How is that a chip? I'm saying we're more similar than different and similarities abound.

Others seem to resist that because the idea that they're truly equal or similar is unacceptable to them. They NEED to put Koreans down in order to feel better about themselves.

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2020, 03:43:54 pm »
Yes, Mayor Haggar it is not as efficient. However the gross sum of that work can be beneficial. Additionally, the lack of natural resources surely is a factor.

Also love the people who say money doesnt matter and working hard is meaningless, then complain that the rich should give them more money for retirement and complain they dont have enough goodies.

This isn't even uniquely Korean. Back in the day we had the old Protestant Work Ethic. You'll see it in West African immigrants pushing their kids. You'll see it in Mexican immigrants who work 18 hours a day.

Funny you have Jordan on there. Remember the Flu Game? Dude didn't call in sick. Dude played one of the great games of his career. There are those players who play through pain and practice even when they feel like crap. Then there sre a bunch who sit out the second they feel anything and then all of a sudden no team wants them and the money is gone.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2020, 03:49:26 pm »
Also love the people who say money doesnt matter and working hard is meaningless, then complain that the rich should give them more money for retirement and complain they dont have enough goodies.

Who, here on this particular thread, said that? 

This isn't even uniquely Korean. Back in the day we had the old Protestant Work Ethic. You'll see it in West African immigrants pushing their kids. You'll see it in Mexican immigrants who work 18 hours a day

Nobody is talking about how actually working hard in the US opens the door for economical and employment mobility for immigrants in the U.S.   Do ESL teachers in Korea commonly get promoted to a supervisory role, at a hagwon, for coming to work, despite having the flu (whilst getting everyone else sick)?    Even better, is it common for a Korean boss to give his foreign teacher a nod of appreciation for suffering through 10 classes, whilst having the flu?  I've worked sick many, many times...not once has the boss taken a moment to say my efforts were appreciated.  Others may have experienced a different scenario...but not me. 

Funny you have Jordan on there. Remember the Flu Game? Dude didn't call in sick. Dude played one of the great games of his career. There are those players who play through pain and practice even when they feel like crap. Then there sre a bunch who sit out the second they feel anything and then all of a sudden no team wants them and the money is gone.

Again, nobody is referring to an NBA superstar (only you) who was paid millions of dollars and won 6 titles...as his reward through playing through things like that.  Folks here are ESL teachers...there are no titles. 

Once again, you are going off the reservation Doc...comparing the benefits of playing through sickness as an NBA star vs ESL  teachers in Korea....get real man.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:06:04 pm by NorthStar »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2020, 04:02:53 pm »

Who, here on this particular thread, said that?

He does this a lot. Someone says the former in one thread ad someone else says the latter in another thread and DM goes on to talk about all the people on here who think and say both things together.