Read 921 times

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: What happens if a public holiday is on a weekend?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 04:00:16 pm »
Renewal bonuses?  You mean the vacation days or they aren't paying you the 2 million every year anymore? 
I meant the bonus 5 days that we get for renewing. Thank goodness they aren't scrapping the 2 million!
.... although they *did* break it up into 1.3 and .7 million and paying it out at odd times of the year. Makes it a bit hard to track.  >:(

For JLP, it's something like, the 1.3 when you renew (so about 2 weeks after your new contract starts - mine has always come with my regular pay though), and .7 when it ends. :o

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2019, 11:48:37 am »
Okay, so March 1 (Independence Movement Day) is on a Sunday for the next school year. Does that mean the Monday after would be a holiday? Again, for public schools.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2019, 11:59:05 am »
Okay, so March 1 (Independence Movement Day) is on a Sunday for the next school year. Does that mean the Monday after would be a holiday? Again, for public schools.

Doesn't look like it. https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/south-korea/2020

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2019, 12:06:40 pm »
So I'm looking at the Substitute Holiday System as described in Korean labour laws, and apparently the other article I posted was a bit misleading: all those I listed are red days and are mandatory holidays. However, only Chuseok, Seolnal, and Children's Day are mandatory substitution days. So no, in 2020 we get to celebrate Independance Movement Day on Sunday only.  :sad:

Here's the excerpt from the Korean Labour Law thingy:

The substitute holiday system in the regulation stipulates that the substitution is not for all overlapping holidays but only for Lunar New Year’s Day (Dec.31, Jan. 1 and 2 of the lunar calendar), Korean Thanksgiving Day (August 14, 15 and 16 of the lunar calendar), and May 5 (Children’s Day). As a result, in 2014, there was only one case of substitution, which was taking a day off on September 10 instead of September 7 (Thanksgiving day) that fell on Sunday.

The regulation stipulates that overlapping of Lunar New Year’s Day (three days) and Korean Thanksgiving Day (three days) with Sunday or other public holidays shall make next working day after the successive holidays as a substituted holiday. As for Children’s day, overlapping of the day with Saturday, Sunday, or other public holidays shall make the next working day after May 5 as a substituted holiday.

source

If you work in a hagwon, you might want to take a look at this too: there are exceptions that allow hagwons to opt out of giving red days under certain conditions, apparently.  :sad:

• canconx
  • Waygookin

• May 05, 2012, 02:06:40 am
    • Toronto ON
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2019, 10:17:49 pm »
Don't quote me on this, but I think the reason for this is that the JLP programme is being rolled into the EPIK programme?
EPIK is handling the hiring but, not taking over things entirely, I think.

We (Canadian Connection) definitely still hire directly for the JLP! EPIK hires for that office of education as well. The Jeollanamdo office will continue to run their own orientations and training center for the foreseeable future. The change in the contracts re vacation days came about when the laws were adjusted and unfortunately that meant when the government decided on a set number, the Korean supervisors in the ed offices just went with that, whether it was better (or worse) than before.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 07:47:38 am by kyndo »