Read 920 times

What happens if a public holiday is on a weekend?
« on: October 21, 2019, 02:33:32 pm »
Let's say, for example, a red day is on a Sunday. If you work in a public school, would you get the Monday off? Or is it just a normal week as usual?

I'm guessing it might differ from school-to-school, too. Just wondering if anyone has had experiences with this.

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
Re: What happens if a public holiday is on a weekend?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 02:42:34 pm »
Typically no, you wouldn't get that Monday off unless your principal has used 1 of their 4 discretionary days to take it off. But even then, on a public school contract you would have to use a vacation day for it. Otherwise you'll be in an almost empty school deskwarming.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 02:45:50 pm »
Only for lunar new year and chuseok would you get an extra holiday day. Some other minor holidays may be moved, Children's day for example. http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/TRV/TV_ENG_1_1.jsp

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 02:45:50 pm »
If an important red day falls on a weekend, you get a substitution day either on Friday or on Monday.

"Prior to 2013, national holidays that fell on a Saturday or Sunday were not substituted on the following work day. However, the Regulation on Closure Days for Public Offices was introduced to substitute a number of overlapping holidays. Specifically, they are:

– Lunar New Year’s Day (if the holiday overlaps with Sunday or other public holidays)
– Korean Thanksgiving Day (if the holiday overlaps with Sunday or other public holidays)
– Children’s Day (if the holiday overlaps with Saturday, Sunday or other public holidays)"

The days that this applies to are the following:

"Buddha's Birthday
Children's Day
Christmas
Chuseok
Hangeul Day
Liberation Day
March 1st Movement Day
Memorial Day
National Foundation Day
New Year's Day
Seollal."

And possibly others.
This, of course, only applies to public school. If you work at a hagwon, your boss will celebrate the holiday by making you work double shift dressed an a traditional Korean pumpkin.  :sad:

[source]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:49:59 pm by kyndo »

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 09:39:46 pm »
If you work at a hagwon, your Korean colleagues will say "welcome to celebrate your Korean Sunday public holiday. Sunday is a holiday, too!"  ;D
Halloween is NOT a public holiday. But the hagwons go absolutely crazy about it. So if you are in a hagwon you WILL be dressed as a pumpkin on Halloween or you'll have to come to school for a party on the Saturday preceding that day.

I have a question: someone has already explained what happens in a public school if a holiday falls on a Sunday. But I have another
question? Doesn't the holiday entitlement depend on which province you are in? Don't the rural   public schools get more holidays?
Lastly, I remember that in Jeollanamdo, there was this rule that the NET's got May Day as a public holiday, but the Korean teachers didn't. We would be told this, but the co-teachers would refuse to believe it, even if they'd had foreign teachers before. Every year people had to call the BOE to sort this out.

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 07:14:43 am »
This, of course, only applies to public school. If you work at a hagwon, your boss will celebrate the holiday by making you work double shift dressed an a traditional Korean pumpkin.  :sad:

Kyndo, I get the feeling that this upsets you.  The disappointment in this sentence is almost palpable.  Hey, look, we'll all chip some money in and buy you a traditional Korean pumpkin costume.  Huh?  Wadda you say?  You can wear it at home or something.  Then you can be the best-darned pumpkin you can be.  Huh!  Now get out there tiger pumpkin and show them what you're made of!!!  Pumpkin the shit out of them!!!

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 08:08:00 am »
This is my situation and help me out here.

My school took one of their discretionary days on October 4th after National Founder's Day October 3rd.  In the old contracts, this would be considered a free day for me. But, under the new contract I had to take a paid leave day.

Based on what kyndo posted, do I have to use one of my paid leave days? or does if follow within the guidelines from the Regulation on Closure Days for Public Offices?, and I get a free day?

I want to get this resolved so I'm clear about the expectations. It seems with the current paid leave system, I'll have maybe 5 days of vacation time in August!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 08:48:37 am »
Kyndo, I get the feeling that this upsets you.  The disappointment in this sentence is almost palpable.  Hey, look, we'll all chip some money in and buy you a traditional Korean pumpkin costume.  Huh?  Wadda you say?  You can wear it at home or something.  Then you can be the best-darned pumpkin you can be.  Huh!  Now get out there tiger pumpkin and show them what you're made of!!!  Pumpkin the shit out of them!!!

Your generosity is overwhelming. It brings tears to my eyes:  :cry:
    And it'll be a welcome change from that pig suit I wear in the evenings when I'm hawking for that 3gyeop joint!

Doesn't the holiday entitlement depend on which province you are in? Don't the rural   public schools get more holidays?
Lastly, I remember that in Jeollanamdo, there was this rule that the NET's got May Day as a public holiday, but the Korean teachers didn't. We would be told this, but the co-teachers would refuse to believe it, even if they'd had foreign teachers before. Every year people had to call the BOE to sort this out.
Some provinces give their NETs more vacation days than others. For example, Gangwon province teachers get 3 or 4 days more than those of us working in Gyeongbuk.
Still, these have nothing to do with red days: all public schools in Korea are required to give all red days off to their teachers. These days do not count toward your discretionary holiday days (they are mandatory).

Labour Day  (May 1st) is a holiday for contract teachers, whether they're NETs or KETs. Any contract teacher (ie all EPIK teachers) get this day off. It is explicitly written in the EPIK contract (Article 7, clause 1) (or at least, it is in the 2019 Gyeongbuk one).

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 08:55:06 am »
Based on what kyndo posted, do I have to use one of my paid leave days? or does if follow within the guidelines from the Regulation on Closure Days for Public Offices?, and I get a free day?

I think it wouldn't be covered under that as it's a discretionary holiday added to make a slightly longer public holiday.  Did you do the NEIS yourself? You could check just to make sure what it's classed under, just to make sure.  My school still makes me use it as a 재량휴업일 (discretionary holiday) but I was hired by the school so not really connected with the local education office. 

From January 1st next year, for companies bigger than 300 employees should grant them public holidays as paid holidays, and then the following year it's 30-299 and then 2022 it's 5-29 employees.  Like I say, Korean Labour Law is evolving, slowly, but it is still evolving. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 08:56:34 am »

My school took one of their discretionary days on October 4th after National Founder's Day October 3rd.  In the old contracts, this would be considered a free day for me. But, under the new contract I had to take a paid leave day.

I want to get this resolved so I'm clear about the expectations. It seems with the current paid leave system, I'll have maybe 5 days of vacation time in August!

The new EPIK contracts have changed the way they allot vacation days. It used to be that we would get 8 days in the summer, 10 days in the winter, the 3 discretionary holidays that every school gets, and for renewing teachers, 5 days renewal vacation days.
Under the old system, new teachers would get (18+3) 21 vacation days.
Under the old system, renewing teachers would get (18+3+5) 26 vacation days.

The new system that came in effect in 2019 just gives all teachers a flat 26 vacation days (so that's good news for first time teachers!)
There are now no rules about when we need to spend them (as long as they don't interfere with the regular school schedule).
This means that we need to use vacation days for the school discretionary holidays. It also means that if you don't use any holiday days in the summer, you can use all of them in the winter (although that might not be terribly wise).

We get the same number of holidays, but the difference is that we're now more aware that we're spending them during discretionary holidays.

TL;DR; Yes, you need to spend one of your holiday days for it. It's why your new contract has given you the 3 additional days.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 09:06:04 am »

The new EPIK contracts have changed the way they allot vacation days. It used to be that we would get 8 days in the summer, 10 days in the winter, the 3 discretionary holidays that every school gets, and for renewing teachers, 5 days renewal vacation days.
Under the old system, new teachers would get (18+3) 21 vacation days.
Under the old system, renewing teachers would get (18+3+5) 26 vacation days.

The new system that came in effect in 2019 just gives all teachers a flat 26 vacation days (so that's good news for first time teachers!)
There are now no rules about when we need to spend them (as long as they don't interfere with the regular school schedule).
This means that we need to use vacation days for the school discretionary holidays. It also means that if you don't use any holiday days in the summer, you can use all of them in the winter (although that might not be terribly wise).

We get the same number of holidays, but the difference is that we're now more aware that we're spending them during discretionary holidays.

TL;DR; Yes, you need to spend one of your holiday days for it. It's why your new contract has given you the 3 additional days.

In Jeollanamdo, we had 31 vacation days (24 winter, 8 summer) + 5 if you renewed, now we are on the flat 26 days with no renewal bonus vacation. However, they are honoring the 5 renewal from the last contract.

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 09:15:09 am »
I started at my school in 2015, and when it comes around to contract renewal time my handler, just changes the date to 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.  So essentially, I still have the old-style contract, 18+5+4 (discretionary holidays).  I think in all the time I've been at my current school, we've looked at the contract zero times.  Nice like that. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 09:33:13 am »
In Jeollanamdo, we had 31 vacation days (24 winter, 8 summer) + 5 if you renewed, now we are on the flat 26 days with no renewal bonus vacation. However, they are honoring the 5 renewal from the last contract.

From what I'm hearing that's the only province giving the +5 this year.

(Used to be +10. Next year, +0.)

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 09:34:03 am »
I started at my school in 2015, and when it comes around to contract renewal time my handler, just changes the date to 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.  So essentially, I still have the old-style contract, 18+5+4 (discretionary holidays).  I think in all the time I've been at my current school, we've looked at the contract zero times.  Nice like that. 
If only you had come a few years earlier: it used to be 18+10+4.  :cry:

Don't quote me on this, but I think the reason for this is that the JLP programme is being rolled into the EPIK programme?
Also, they aren't honouring the 5 renewal days (as they're already included in the flat 26), but giving you the additional 5 vacation days that JLP gave to it's teachers.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 09:49:12 am »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes but those 26 are working days only not including weekends or holidays which is nice. The loss of the 5 renewal sucks though.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 09:51:08 am by thunderlips »

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 09:55:05 am »
If only you had come a few years earlier: it used to be 18+10+4.  :cry:

Don't quote me on this, but I think the reason for this is that the JLP programme is being rolled into the EPIK programme?
Also, they aren't honouring the 5 renewal days (as they're already included in the flat 26), but giving you the additional 5 vacation days that JLP gave to it's teachers.

EPIK is handling the hiring but, not taking over things entirely, I think.
Well, with the new contract it's 26 + 0 renewal. In JLP, for the people who renewed this year, we get the 26 days in the new contract + the 5 renewal days, as the 5 were mentioned in the previous contract to carry into the new one, so we get 31 days this year (if you renewed) but from next renewal, it is the straight 26 days.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 10:10:55 am »
You're contract might be slightly different than ours, then.

We get the 26 +0 system also, but they were very keen to point out that we are still getting our renewal days: "they're just folded in as part of the generic 26 holiday days".

The reason for this, of course, is that Korean labour laws have recently changed, forcing the Ministry of Education to revise our contracts to show that they have indeed given us additional holiday days in accordance with the new rules. They then basically turned around to us and said "These extra days that we're forced to give you? They're actually your contract renewal days."
   They were forced to give us 5 extra days, so they just dropped the renewal days, which keeps the total number the same. Since new teachers didn't get renewal bonuses, the POEs can look generous when they say that they're basically getting 5 additional days. Lucky for them noobs, I guess!

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 10:20:45 am »
Thanks for the clarification!

:)

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 03:06:54 pm »
You're contract might be slightly different than ours, then.

We get the 26 +0 system also, but they were very keen to point out that we are still getting our renewal days: "they're just folded in as part of the generic 26 holiday days".

The reason for this, of course, is that Korean labour laws have recently changed, forcing the Ministry of Education to revise our contracts to show that they have indeed given us additional holiday days in accordance with the new rules. They then basically turned around to us and said "These extra days that we're forced to give you? They're actually your contract renewal days."
   They were forced to give us 5 extra days, so they just dropped the renewal days, which keeps the total number the same. Since new teachers didn't get renewal bonuses, the POEs can look generous when they say that they're basically getting 5 additional days. Lucky for them noobs, I guess!

Renewal bonuses?  You mean the vacation days or they aren't paying you the 2 million every year anymore? 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 03:53:12 pm »
Renewal bonuses?  You mean the vacation days or they aren't paying you the 2 million every year anymore? 
I meant the bonus 5 days that we get for renewing. Thank goodness they aren't scrapping the 2 million!
.... although they *did* break it up into 1.3 and .7 million and paying it out at odd times of the year. Makes it a bit hard to track.  >:(